Telstra 3G Broadband users with Router Model 3G21WB

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Veratu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Veratu SOE

Ok, that's kind of what I figured was going to happen... thanks for validating it Diablo. Time for me to think for a bit...
  2. Diablo Vash

Anytime, was able to play for a good 10 mins, got a kill or 2 but the lag wasn't making it easy.
  3. Hojirozame

I can confirm this as well, used the same program as Vash and played for about 10 mins. Was forced to quit due to lag, but that's to be expected with wireless.
  4. Veratu SOE

We're experimenting with some potential methods to help you guys get into the game and around the problem this device is causing. I can't make any promises, but know that we haven't given up on you :)
  5. Owen Fox

I'll start by confirming that VPN worked for me as well, using the same program as Diablo.
    --
    If you go into the program and go to payment options, there's an option called "Free hour" 5/5.
    Press it and it will go down to 4/5 and give you an extra hour. I think it refreshes each week.
    --

Looking forward to your ideas, Veratu. It is fantastic to hear you're still trying to help us. That is quality service right there.
  6. bieltanman

what if its something to do with mtu of the game being to big and not accounting for 3g headers im just throwing ideas out there
  7. Veratu SOE

We've looked into that too. The evidence we have is the router is actually mangling (changing) the packets as they come through the device. We're not entirely sure why, but we took sniffs of packets from our side, and of a users side and you can clearly see the packet comes out differently once it goes through the Router compared to what we sent it as from the server. Most of the packets we send/receive are 1/3rd of the current MTU value so that shouldn't come into play.

You're getting the packets, they're just different than what we sent so the game client doesn't know what to do with them because it's expecting something else. Using the VPN method solves the issue because the packets are coming inside a TCP encapsulated tunnel so your router passes those correctly and doesn't mangle them.

We've got some ideas... it's not over yet :)
  8. bieltanman

i just dont get why it worked in beta i dident change anything in my modem
  9. Diablo Vash

I don't know, starting to seem like this router will never let us play no matter what, and with Netcomm / Telstra saving their own *** saying it's now discontinued there is kinda no hope. Considering I have been with them for I don't know how many years now and I am "Off Contract" now they want me to buy their new router even though new customers can get it for free.. Think I might take a hammer to this router the morning I go to the shop, put it on the counter and telling them I cannot use their service I am paying for and want a new one right now..
  10. Banick

Vash/people with issue contact ACCC (Australia) see what your rights are here.

If you are paying your monthly bill, I believe Telstra should be able to provide a level of service with the modem they provided to you. If they are unable to provide that level of service then they should replace the modem, especially if it is one they originally gave you.
  11. Krallorr

Currently experiencing the same issue on a Sagemcom F@st2504n router. Have followed all instructions here with no success.
  12. Veratu SOE

Most cases having a "similar" issue are because folks aren't setting the UDP ports to forward through their router. This particular router in this thread is forwarding them, but corrupting them. Chances are yours is just blocking them, and they need to be permitted. Look at the sticky thread about what ports PlanetSide 2 uses, and make sure you have port forwarding/port triggering permitted for the ports required to play the game.

Also check to ensure there aren't any firmware updates for your router.
  13. bieltanman

i think the key to solving this one is to figure out why we could play in beta
  14. Baelfour

I'm going to try a start a VPN tunnel from the client PC to to a host PC in the DMZ on my router, not sure if it will work but I'll let you know how it goes.
  15. Diablo Vash

Well I've tried pretty much everything and saw today the game now has a 2GB patch it wants me to download which is going to kill my quota. So I think it's time to just call it quits. Thanks for trying to get a fix but I've pretty much lost interest in it all now..
  16. Veratu SOE

So a couple of quick updates. I received an email from the manufacturer that anyone who wants to trade-up to a newer router model that doesn't have this problem will receive a 40% discount. (I'm not sure what the cost is for a new unit, but 40% might make a big enough difference to proceed for some of you).

Those of you who aren't willing to do that, we're working on a couple of potential work arounds to help you guys out but it requires a lot of testing (and since we don't have one of these devices in house, it makes it difficult and naturally takes a little longer because we have to reach out to people with these units for assistance in our testing).

We haven't given up, it's just not something we can lab test, make changes, re-test, etc to provide a quicker solution. Those of you who have stuck it out while we work through some potential work arounds, we appreciate your patience.
  17. bieltanman

veratu pm me if there is any tests i can do for you to try or i could make it so you can remote manage my router if you need help
  18. Rockit

Wow that is really great of you to have stuck with this issue for all this time and worked a "resolution" for the affected users. I am not one of those but participated in the thread previously. Just wanted to say kudos to you for your excellent support.
  19. Dualipuff

It makes me feel better knowing that you guys are still working on the issue. You don't often get this sort of communication with dev like this, so I appreciate it.

I just wanted to add to that this issue also appears to apply to the NetComm 3G25W-R HSPA+ WiFi Router.
  20. Veratu SOE

I assume you have one of these devices Dualipuff? If so, shoot me a PM please (I assume you can't play the game). I'd like you to run a test for me so I can see if the problem is the same as the other device.
    • Up x 1