Tell me about TR Light weapons

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SenorBeef, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SenorBeef

Reposted from general discussion, didn't realize there were class-specific forums.

So I play my light the most, and I want to buy a new weapon. I'm not sure which way to go.

I want something that can shoot accurately enough to hit someone if I'm flying 10 feet over their head, but still be capable of aimed fire around 50 yards.

I think the Jaguar may be for me, but it's too hard to say from the trial since you can't unlock stuff like the advanced laser site to really see how the weapon would work for you.

I currently have an AS16 nighthawk, which I like, but it's wildly inaccurate while flying and has no ability outside of close range. I know I'll lose some up-close burst, but I want something more versatile.

So what are my options? The Trac-5s is basically the same thing as I've been using, except more attachments. Don't think I'm going this way - it's not a bad rifle but doesn't particularly suit my playstyle.

Lynx or Jaguar. What's the difference? Why would I prefer one over the other? I've read that the Jag is just flat out better because the recoil is more controllable with no real downsides. True?

What playstyles are the other rifles good for?
    Would it be worth putting a laser site on my AS16 instead of the extended magazine so that I could shoot more accurately while airborne?
    If you want to see my playstyle to give me advise as to what would fit it, I've got a youtube clip. Keep in mind that I have to land and shoot more than I'd like because the AS16 is more inaccurate. I'd like more airborne kills if possible.

2. CheeseThief

I wish the people I fought were that disintersterested and/or stupid.

Both the Lynx and Jaguar get the advanced laser sight for great hip-fire accuracy, but the Lynx gets a higher rate of fire while the Jaguar gets better on the move accuracy.

The Trac-5 S gets the grenade launcher which is always a major selling point for light assault, you can pretend your playing Quake.
  3. MarlboroMan-E

There's a really good thread on lynx vs jag vs trac somewhere in this forum, might be on page 2 now.
  4. MarlboroMan-E

5. blzbug

Trac5 S is bugged to hades. Stay away from that or gird your loins for serious disappointment.
  6. Cinc

And remember, that will cost you another 50 certs.
  7. Word Of Madness

The Jaguar sounds like a good choice for you, it'll offer great damage up close (though not as good at that shotgun), and is still usable at longer ranges.

The difference between it and the Lynx is fairly minor. The Lynx has a faster fire rate (800RPM vs 750RPM), but the Jaguar has a more balanced recoil pattern, a tighter cone of fire, and its slower fire rate makes the recoil more manageable. I find that even though the Lynx is capable of more damage, I tend to do better with the Jaguar as I can get more hits in, especially at longer ranges (I prefer the TAR over the TRV on the medic for the same reason).

I'm not sure you'll be able to get kills from the air with it though, you lose a lot of accuracy while in flight. Give it a trial, it's a bit better with the laser dot and reflex sight, but it's not a huge difference. If you're struggling with it as default, then the attachments won't help much.
  8. aRtFuL

I'm not sure if you are aware, if so please feel free to ignore this, but all guns in this game has horrible accuracy when flying.

You can't really fly and go for headshot in this game at the same time.
  9. SenorBeef

I know flying and shooting will never be head-shot accurate, but right now with the trac 5 I can do a decent job flying 5-10 feet over someone's head and shooting down at them, at least enough to kill them with a magazine, so I was hoping one of the advanced laser site weapons would extends this to 20-25 feet or something.
  10. aRtFuL

I don't think advance laser helps with jump shooting accuracy (same as sprint - it doesn't really help with sprint shoot accuracy either)

Maybe you should get the Lynx or Jaguar and try (with all the attachments you want). It will only cost you $2.50 this friday as the triple SC credit thing is coming up. Jaguar feels pretty good for me I can land something while flying (though I usually us flight time to reload).

I have mine decked out in advance laser, soft point and silencer and it feels quite accurate on move.
  11. Keifomofutu

If you want kills from the air shotgun is your best bet. The hipfire cone doesn't seem to change much with a shotgun no matter what you do.

Carbines receive a massive penalty to hipfire while flying.
  12. SenorBeef

If you're flying, the shotgun can be wildly inaccurate - if you're 10 feet off the ground firing down, one shot can land 20 degrees up and right, and the next shot can land 30 degrees down and left. You can see that at a few moments in the video in the OP like 1:40 in the video.
  13. SenorBeef

So the Jag is pretty much better than the Lynx across the board except at very close range where the higher cyclic rate of the Lynx will kill people quicker?
  14. gunshooter

Trac 5 S or Jaguar. No real reason to use anything else (unless you don't wanna spend money, of course)

Grenade launcher vs just shooting your gun. Your choice.
    Yes, but the difference at close range is really miniscule. The Jaguars recoil is unique among TR Carbines which means with an advanced laser, it's not only an incredible close range weapon, but the best mid range Carbine as well.

At long range it's low bullet velocity hurts it, but really, no TR carbine is well suited for long range anyway.
  15. gunshooter

The shotgun does not get an accuracy penalty when flying. Period. You must be using slugs, I have never had this occur and I kill people while i'm flying all the time (without slugs.) Don't use slugs unless you want to snipe, they're not good for anything but that.
  16. Canaris

It is? I just picked it up last night and had an absolute blast with it. What parts of it are bugged exactly the attachments?
  17. Word Of Madness

It's the grenade launcher (the reason most people get the TRAC-5 S).
  18. rotebrause

which one is the best option for long range ? I think the TRAC - 5s ?
  19. SenorBeef

Do the weapons other than the trac 5s, lynx, and jaguar serve any real purpose?
  20. Canaris

ah fair enough, haven't got the underslung yet for it but was on my list of attachments to get. Thanks for the heads up