Tech Plant AV Gun Adjustments

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Money, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Money

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for removing all Anti Vehicle Guns from the Tech Plant battlements? When an enemy zerg is heading for the most important base that you hold, you no longer have the ability to hold off vehicles approaching? I thought that we all agreed years ago that you can't nerf an empire's ability to defend it's territory.............
    • Up x 3
  2. cobrakhan5

As a PS2 veteran i am gonna second this... stupid f8ucking move. And removing MAx sprint.......... thanks for making max pretty much unsoloable now ****ers
  3. Niamar

The easiest way for me to kill infantry is with the AV turrents, I expect more nerfs to come.
  4. Daigons

Finally I'll get some peace and quiet by not getting any more 30 minute long rage /tells from players that I kill in those turrets.
  5. Money

then you just adjust it's effectiveness against infantry? But to remove them completely?
  6. The Shady Engineer

Someone who tested this stuff on PTS- Did the AV turrets on the gun deck get replaced with AA or are they just gone?
  7. The Shady Engineer

As for why they're doing it, I can think of 2 reasons.

1) Being situated as high as they were, the AV turrets could cover pretty ridiculous distances, allowing for easy shelling of adjacent bases to the tech plant. This also caused some render issues and no one likes to get killed by an invisible turret 450 meters away.

2) The AV turrets were better at shooting down aircraft than the flak turrets. Mostly bigger air like Libs and Gals but I've seen good turret operators pull off chain kills on ESFs.

That said, I think this is a bad change. Tech plant are supposed to be fortified citadels. The gun deck is supposed to provide powerful fire support for the facility.
  8. Demigan

The turrets are just gone, an empty spot where an engineer AV turret can be placed.

I guess this change is mostly because infiltrators steal the turrets, or that's what I do, and then murder a few tanks with it before being stopped by one of the first guys you killed.

Although really they should allow players to just pick what kind of turret they want. Imagine if you had a console somewhere that allowed you to change turret types. Replacing an AV turret with an AA turret, or finally having access to more AI turrets...
    • Up x 1
  9. CrimsonEclipse5

If they replace them with AA guns and relocate the AV guns to lower area, fine. But flat out deleting them? Terrible idea.
  10. The Shady Engineer

Shame. Pretty disappointing. Thanks.

:eek:

[IMG]
  11. Niamar

They are constantly changing the effectiveness of AV turrets, in towers they limit your lane of fire, or they make the terrain block your view.

Jump in the AV turret on the Crown Ti Alloys side. I was on a 50+ kill streak there once, mid fight they rotated the warp gates for no reason, it is not possible now.

AV turrets have multiple counters, but the majority of the players just continue to be farmed, so we are the ones punished.
  12. Demigan

Because I usually follow it up with a bunch of extra's.
    For instance, that console (Security console, SC) also protects your turrets from being hacked. This is now an important secondary objective to attack. SC's could be destroyable with small-arms fire and take a long time to repair.
    Suddenly there's objectives that LA's and Infiltrators can perform better at than Heavies. That's good for the game. These SC's could be positioned in places that are tough to reach for both the defenders and attackers, meaning an SC won't be repaired in no time after destruction.

SC's could do any number of things and allow players to modify their own base. For instance one SC could create shields on a limited amount of doorways. Manipulation of the doorways that are shielded can create chokepoints to better combat enemy approaches. Destruction of the SC removes the shields.

There's plenty more. SC's that allow players to drop-pod within the area through access of a console in the spawnroom, SC's that power lightbridges, jumppads, gravlifts, provide radar for air/vehicles/infantry, auto-repair turrets (meaning players can turn it off if infiltrators keep stealing turrets), create directional shields to help protect against air or vehicle attacks (no dome shields so vehicles and aircraft aren't completely side-lined the moment one is up), and maybe even power local supportweapons like an artillery (take the gun of techplants, put it in the middle of the aircraft deck and allow players to buy targeting equipment for resources to be able to use it).
    • Up x 4
  13. Ziggurat8

It's for Liberators and ESF and farming the tech spawn room as well as giving attacking sunderers more deployment options(i always thought it OP you could shoot the spawn room exits from inside the base turrets). They were of little use against actual vehicles inside the perimeter because they couldn't aim down far enough. At best they were extreme long range AV or for sniping deployed sunderers. They were MUCH better AI/AA guns in those positions.
    • Up x 1
  14. Jamuro

honestly the tech plant gun barrage is one of the dummest designs i ve seen in ps2.

No matter air or vehicle turrets, it gave such an overwhelming firepower to the defenders ... to a point where i would be close to raging as sl whenever i saw squaddies in tanks moving towards the tech plant.
    It might have made sense back when there was an actuall incentive to cap the tech plants (resource gain) and serve as a roadblock but should have died with that system a long time ago.

It was stupid as hell and completly shut down the combined arms aspect (it always ended up in an infantry zerg rush with maybe a lucky valk or gal dropping people onto the balcony)

That said i doubt that there is a real balance reason for this change ... it most likley is in preparation for more extensive turret customisation options ... remember the first talks about the whole ai turret thing ... back then it was base turrets they talked about and not custom bases)

Expect more and more turrets to "vanish"
  15. Eternaloptimist

As a possible reason for getting rid of them this makes particular sense and perhaps it is also an incentive to invest more in player made bases with AV turrets............
  16. FateJH

Such as ...
  17. Liewec123

it was because AV base turrets that high in the air would have no trouble obliterating any player base in sight.

personally i don't think they should have removed them, if someone builds a base in full view of the AV turrets then they deserve to have their base blown up :p
  18. The Shady Engineer

Ceiling valk drop onto the gun deck. Preferably with at least one infiltrator to flip the turrets once defending infantry has been wiped.
  19. FateJH

I was looking for AV emplacements in general, not just the tech plant AA tower.
  20. Kcalehc

Turn one of the silo things by the tech plant, into a Cortium silo. Want an AV turret up there, go to the console and spend 1000 cortium to get one, and up to 5 (6?) for 1000 cortium each. It gets destroyed, spend more to get it back.

Run out of Cortium, run out of turrets....

Now the defenders are under siege, and while they have Cortium they have an edge (albeit minor); but stop ANTs getting in and those turrets will eventually go away.

Honestly more bases should have this ability, modular additional defenses for Cortium. Make running an ANT through a siege an actual useful thing to do.
    • Up x 3