Teamkilling is out of control

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tasogie, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ME-tan

If you keep getting run over by tanks that's no one's fault but your own. Pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way in this game. Here's some rules to live by.

1) Never stand directly in front of/behind a manned tank. They may have to move at any second to avoid incoming fire.
    2) Don't run in the middle of the road. By the time a tank sees you(mainly due to infantry being invisible at medium and long ranges in crowded areas) it'll be too late.
    3) Look both ways before crossing the street, something everyone should've learned by the time they were 4. Though with all the people I've had run directly in front of me I'm starting to wonder how many actually did.
  2. Col. Stryke

Just curious....what reasons would those be? Not trying to be an ****, because me and those in my group do not see it. We seem to think the pros out weigh the cons. I can totally understand the whole "bringing realism to the game" but we still have to be practical PS2 is just a game. Perhaps we could vote on it or something at login. That way we will know if the majority is for or against this. Maybe I (and those like me are wrong) but I see folks being happy about not having to worry about killing their own team. I dunno make it an option or something for those that want it on.

*shrug*
  3. Adventzero

Heh... from my experience, use of terrain, combined arms, team coordination and tactics are also absent from this game. :)
  4. BobJohnson

Yep, I have that happen all of the time. I'd say at least half of the time I use a flash to keep up with the friendly convoy I am destroyed by a friendly tank just because they can.

As it stands now, 11% of my over all deaths are from friendly, and I'd estimate that of my other deaths friendly had assisted in at least 15% of them.
    This is especially annoying. Your vehicle spawns going full speed and you have absolutely no control over it for the 1st second or two. You quickly learn your lesson to not stand on vehicle spawn pads, but you never know when it's okay to walk in front of the entrance to a base since a vehicle could come shooting out of there at any second.

Agreed. I've ran over numerous people that I couldn't even see.

What are the reasons FF is required? I mean, if it is REQUIRED for this game, then it should be without a doubt required for games which have no friendly fire.
  5. Aghar30

Friendly Fire makes a better game, honestly if you walk infront of me while I'm firing im going to blow you away. And i never get weapon lock either.
  6. JonboyX

Two issues.

90 degree Viewpoint is crap; you can't turn your head when running, only your body. Likewise; fov in a tank is generally restricted and unless you're going to rubberneck with the turret for the entire time you drive, someone will die under your tracks.

Secondly; there's always someone out there who wants to be standing where I'm standing. Often very slightly in front of me. tbh; if I see an enemy and a friendly then pops up in front I'm going to make sure I don't die due to their poor positional awareness. If that means clearing the friendly out then so be it; I've learned from deaths in Beta simply not to trust randoms to be good enough to win that fight.
  7. Beartornado

You know what one simple fix would be? I don't know if it could be applied to tanks running over players, but if you run in front of someone who is already shooting the game should at least recognize that the idiot who ran in front of everyone should get the warning. I once played a game that had a system like that in place, forgot what it was. If SOE were to implement something like that they'd have to be careful of course because people could just as easily get away with teamkilling and give the other player a warning, but it would be nice if the less aware started being punished for not trying to keep track of their allies actions.

I personally didn't take long to understand that I had to give vehicles as much space between me as them, especially in combat so while repairing them I could get out of their way if they needed to retreat. The same applies to teammates on the frontlines; if they want to be at the front shooting things I'll stand back and see what happens. If they die I'll try to pick off the enemies that are now likely reloading, and if they live then I'll keep pushing forward with them and dropping ammo packs.
  8. ohmikkie

Or implement something like FF only inflicts a fraction of the real damage. That's what they eventually did in MAG. It made a big difference. Friendly vehicles would just push yo to the side with relatively little damage. At least you'll be able to confirm the real griefers then.
  9. CheeseN!P

maybe a system that ignores friendly damage if your currently aiming at an enemy, Could easily be abused obviously, but its a start.

to clarify, instead of like "Hey dont shoot teammates!" it just shuts up and gives you a pardon.
    if you wanted to it could say to the player being shot "Keep out of the line of fire soldier!"

as far as you got ran over, id say that's just the way it is. they get the warning and if there going crazy about it they will lock, 70% of the time it isn't super intentional
  10. Tasogie

I notice alot of guys here are posting thinking I want FF removed... NO I DONT! :p..... FF removed is the last thing I want, because without FF the game looses any real challenge, "but" there has to be a way to stop the idiots (one or two posted here) who think its cool to just kill anything they want no matter what.

Friendly fire should be always on in any FPS, but some players are either too young or too......excitable shall we say (for the perp of keeping the thread polite) to learn how to use some self discipline.
  11. TeknoBug

Apart from one specific night being killed by friendly vehicles at least 40 times while trying to attack a base, I haven't had problems with TK'ers- I've TK'd a handful of people myself usually due to people running infront of my line of fire.
  12. OrangeGlove

My worst experience with TKing, was when I got a sunderer. I was driving the sunderer to enemy territory to deploy it, when a max needed a lift. I obviously picked him up and headed into a small convoy with a couple of tanks. Suddenly the ****tard started shooting the tank in front of me, and he kept shooting and didn't stop. Then the tank turned around and started shooting at me, soon I was forced to hop out and then my sunderer exploded. I was real pissed. So I got out, and hopped and got into the gunner of another tank, and gunned the ****tard max down.

I've had one other purposeful team-killing before, out of i'd say about 10-12 hours of game-play I've only had the 2. So for me it Isn't too bad, but it is a bit of a ******** mechanic, I mean I understand the reasoning, but **** man...

It's also going to get a lot worse once people start getting bored, and considering its F2P, it's not like you can just ban them.
  13. Tasogie

As for the post about the guy in Iraq, couldn't agree more mate,my mate is a tanker, an hes told me a few horror stories about idiots who get too close to the exhaust etc, but anyway..... Point being, while I get that the tanks have really limited situational an yes I know you should never stand behind one, you generally have a coaxial gunner he should be talking to his driver (either using the ingame, or text even if desperate)......

Case in point I watched 8 tanks last night on the bridge all bottle necking it an trying to ram each other off the bridge to kill them (they shoved my buss off an killed 12 people (suisided) apparently..... these are the idiots who I am talking about. :)
  14. FrumiousBandersnatch

Most of the friendlies that have met their end under the treads of my tanks did so because As I was cranking down the road they decided to step infront of my tank. And I assure you I did not intend it any of the 4,5,6,7 times a night it happens. See guys tanks..they weigh a lot, and they have this thing called inertia so it's pretty hard to stop on a dime because ******* X steps right out in front. Usually what you should do is ...LISTEN if you hear a tank getting louder... make sure you aren't in the way. IF a tank is stationary and shooting DON'T STAND BEHIND IT, because if it comes under fire, it is likely to try and reverse to get behind cover. Also roads... Infantry.. run next to the road not down the middle of it, the tanks don't move so well on rough terrain, and the roads are pretty clear indication that something large and friiggen deadly is going to roll down there.

As for FF with guns If I am in a doorway shooting at whoever is on the other side, and you try to squeeze past me while I am clearly unloading shells so you can ***** onto the kills and you stick your dumb head into my stream of bullets.. Good You deserve to die for being too stupid to not walk through a hail of burning lead.

If you are a friendly cloaky freak and I killed you it's because there is no blue arrow when you move cloaked and I have no idea of knowing who you are. Bro-tip if you near friendlies and don't want to get shot. decloak before you walk... we see you clear as day while you are moving anyway.

I haven't been accidentally TK'd once, because I don't run through doorways that my friendlies are already shooting through to ***** their kills, I don't run on the roads, I don't stand near tanks, I maintain cover instead of being in the open, and for the love of god when I snipe and I am cloaked, I speak up when I am about to decloak near friendlies, I don't move through friendly territory cloaked, and also I am generally not a jerk on the field.
  15. Beartornado

There was one time when I accidentally shot a cloaked friendly, he did have a blue arrow but I was on a roof and assumed it was one of those long-distance markers for a friendly tank or something. I was trying to shoot down range the roof at an enemy and accidentally hit him. Though I stopped quickly and he wasn't killed by neither me nor the enemy player, one thing i'd like to see is a static silhouette or something similar around a cloaked friendly, so that you know they are not an enemy, know where they exactly are, and that you shouldn't attract enemy fire towards them.
  16. FreelancePanic

Pedestrians should never have the right of way...
    But if a tank driver deliberately drives into you while you're running out of the way in the middle of an empty field, no amount of weapon lock is punishment enough.
  17. Bearcat

Driving a tank in a big battle is a lot like having a monster truck rally in a kindergarten playground during recess - there will be a lot of accidental road kills.

When I'm cruising down the road in my tank, I am really trying to avoid you. I'll even come to a complete stop (if I can stop fast enough) so I won't run over a single trooper, much like a PS2 version of that famous Tiananmen Square picture. Still, I grease my treads frequently with friendly troops because some people are attracted to moving tanks like moths to a flame. It's unavoidable.
  18. FrumiousBandersnatch

Uhhhh yeah.. that probably has something to do with all that armor you are hiding behind... ever been in a tank?
  19. AdamantK9

Something needs to be done.. have you watched people in a swarm leaving a battle site to move on to the next area? They RUN OVER the infantry, blatantly and without concern.

People also hang around the warp gate seemingly for the specific reason to destroy vehicles when drivers jump out of them. I can't tell you how many times I've had my reaver run over and destroyed by a tank or rocket when I jumped out to repair it.. it erks me to no end because it's a blatant abuse of a system that needs to be modified.
  20. coldmiser

The FF wouldn't bother me so much, but when people just run around TK'ing it completely ruins the game for everyone else. I don't get a lot of time to play after work, and when I do I don't want to spend it respawning because someone thinks it's funny to TK. That's one of the drawbacks to have a game be FTP. Banning them will do no good, they will just make a new account.
    I was going to subscribe, already paid for Alpha, but I'm not sure at this point just because of this reason.