Tanks buffed a bit too much.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VengeanceD, May 5, 2013.

1. K3STR3L

I would of said infantry was the easiest. I started playing the game and instantly done well with my machine guns, however it took me a few months too get good at using the tank effectively.
    I can only assume you have been at the end of countless HE rounds by camping tanks shooting at your spawn to think that there is no skill or that it takes less than any other vehicle to master.
    I have never used anything but AP rounds since I started this game, some of us prefer pin point accuracy over splash damage, which any noob can do.
  2. K3STR3L

Please stop posting thanks, may stop you from looking ignorant. And did anyone say it takes more skill or just that it does take skill to be good at it?
    • Up x 2
  3. Lyel

Hecks no!

If anything, they haven't been buffed enough! I barely notice that it takes another rocket to take me down because rockets come cheap and free, and the amount of options against armor is just devastating. My prowler couldn't live more than 5 minutes unless it is in a tank spam. That is why people are spawning anti-infantry Flashes, they're cheap and can have no time limit.
    • Up x 1
  4. SinerAthin

And do you play as a ESF during those battles? :p
  5. NinjaTurtle

I drive tanks alot, mainly the Lightning and I have noticed little change myself.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kallowe

The problem is that a tank is in most ways a direct upgrade to an infantry man. The nearest comparison I can think of is basically a power up from arena like games like Quake. It gives you more health, more speed, more damage, and better resistance than an infantry man/woman. The disadvantages are you are a larger target and you cant go inside buildings or dense cover. All this for the low price of 250 land vehicle resources? What else where you going to use those resources for?
    They should re-implement a single resources so its actually a choice. Pretty much the only reason not everyone uses tanks is that they find it boring or at least less fun. I hate that when I play infantry that I have 1500 resources that are completely wasted and remove any sort of complex(or at least more complex) choice. Should I pull a lightning, a mosquito, or get 2 bricks of c-4 at the moment it's a non issue as there is no choice you can get all three at the same time.
  7. Tekuila

The pilot thing was air, but not the second.
  8. HellasVagabond

No but i have seen quite a few do that even to me.
  9. BengalTiger

The stuff in my signature is a start (after the initial post there are more tips/guides from me and a few others in the replies which describe gunnery, fire control, basic teamwork, techniques on defending or counterattacks, etc).

For advanced tank combat techniques, please refer to FM 3-20.15 Tank Platoon.
    It's a book with 202 pages on how to operate a tank platoon which doesn't even touch the topic of driving and shooting itself- only the tactics involved.
    Not everything applies to PS 2 such as logistics.
    There are many things that do apply- instructions on fire control, firing patterns, formations, movement methods, use of terrain and obstacles, navigating terrain, positioning, setting up and executing a defensive or offensive operation and even the theoretical background on leadership are all very useful on Auraxis.

To put this in the opposite way:

To fight on foot, one doesn't even need to know how to drive, just run and gun, spray and pray.
    To fight in the air, all one has to do is not crashing the plane into obstacles by simply flying above them, and other than that it's also point and shoot.

I think it's obvious both cases are completely untrue- in my opinion they're just as untrue as claiming tanks don't require skill.
    • Up x 2
  10. notyourbuddy

The tanks got their buff now its time to buff the resource cost. I'm starting to see tank spam creeping back into the game. Did you guys learn nothing from the first two months of release?

Tanks either need to be weak with a low resource cost or strong with a high resource cost.
  11. BengalTiger

Legends say that there is a rework of bases so that tanks have to get through a few choke points here and there to be able to enter the built up areas- giving infantry the upper hand in close combat (as it should be)
    Guess infantry will have to embrace the suck till GU09.
  12. DreamlessLiberty

It ruined the game. All that was asked for was a nerf to tanks being strafed by aircraft. Instead they turned tanks into craven land battleships and released some semi-counters and later probably full counters to make money. And stupid people think this is the best thing ever and la-de-da. And stupid people perpetuate it into compounding stupid. Stupid so condensed and pure there is no possibility for reason. I know this for a fact because there are now craven land battleships in every driveway and in line at every battleshipwash on all three continents.
    • Up x 1
  13. SinerAthin

I recommend trying it for a few nights :D

It can give you a completely different view of things.
  14. NietCheese

The only people who would suggest tanks are overbuffed are people who do not drive tanks.

They are in a good place right now, with plenty of killing power and plenty of ways to die (including hoverspammers who now just need 2 or 3 passes)

If anything, tanks are still struggling slightly against some tools like the AV turret because of it's distance - it can still shoot the tank at ranges that the tank cannot retaliate.

The new max weapons SERIOUSLY hurt armor. In particular, the Lightning gets punished by the TR Max weapon to the point where the Lightning has to retreat because the Max is doing so much damage,

Add those Max tools onto the many many other ways armor can die, the many lockons like strikers, the AV turrets, the hugely buffed base turrets, the C4 bombers, hell even the harasser can ping tanks pretty well with the right setup...

tldr; plenty of ways to kill armor including devastating new tools and buffed turrets.
    Learn the new game mechanics.
    If you are still using dumb fire rockets as your primary method for killing tanks you are playing the game poorly.
    Also, drive a tank for a change, you will see it's not easy.
  15. Dinapuff

I think the guys pulling those tanks will eventually learn that getting into an uncerted tank ends up in it being decimated on the field of battle, but i do understand that they pull them because they can sort of feel safe while also being powerful because the main barrel does kill infantry.

I think it is good because they aren't capping the point which means they aren't really contributing much to the fight at all and once the lattice is in. These folks will generally be swept away by any competent outfit. So my advice to you would be to find other infantry guys and group up to kill tanks while waiting for the lattice. xD
    • Up x 1
  16. Alarox

I play HA and use a Vanguard primarily (used to play air, but it's no fun now). I think the tank balance at this point is pretty alright.

The only problem is that the average platoon lacks the coordination to bring ALLY tanks. Instead they only try to use infantry. If I'm leading a platoon and the enemy has tanks, I don't just sit there and let them come at us and start camping. I get our AV infantry out there to hold them back and bring ally tanks forward. If we're being camped at a tower I don't sit there and take it. I bring ally tanks in from behind in conjunction with the AV infantry in the tower.

If you get tanks surrounding you, you've most likely already lost. Unless you can quickly bring ally tanks in later, it's over. The problem is that this is the case most of the time.

-People hear enemy zerg headed to X tower.
    -People go there
    -Enemy zerg comes with tanks
    -Tanks surround base
    -People inside can't move out
    -People inside sit there for 7-10 minutes while being farmed because they did nothing to defend

For both attack and defense you need combined arms of infantry and tanks.

-------------

BTW, I don't respect the opinion on balance of someone who is ignorant of the playstyle they are talking about.
  17. notyourbuddy

Speaking of tank buffs, does anyone know if Anti-Vehicle Phalanx Base Turrets are classified as armor piercing?

Haven't tested it that much, but their effectiveness feels like it took a hit after GU08.
  18. wombat999

on my server there is so much spam rockets tanks should not be taken down by 2 rockets thats sucks they need a buff or nerf the rockets so it takes alot more of them to take them down and buff the extra amour not 10% make it 15% so troops cant take them out so easy
  19. Ranik

they are if i remember right
  20. wombat999

if there is stupid poeple still spawning at that point it is not the tanks fault it is the tanks saying move on to another base because u lost the base also troops shouldnt be taking on tanks it is not a fight troops can win