[Guide] Tankers, help me out. Rule Book 4 secondary gunners

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FBVanu, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Ransurian

I'd get rid of HEAT. HE is okay in some circumstances, but AP is by far the best choice for general-purpose use, especially since it scales better with Deploy. The Halberd is definitely a better option over the Vulcan, as well. Deploy is better than FS on orders of magnitude, even for aggressive, mobile play. NAR is okay in certain situations, but vehicle stealth is probably a better general-purpose option as far as mitigating the enemy's lock-on DPS, keeping passing enemy aircraft away, and allowing you to hunt vehicles more safely and reliably. In cases where stealth isn't viable, front or side armor is probably going to benefit you more than NAR.

Aside from that, racer is a good choice, since the Prowler is already maneuverable enough. Oh, and I can't emphasize how gimmicky FS is. It's one of those shoddy loadout options that seems useful for a certain playstyle, but in reality, it isn't going to save you in most cases.

AP / Halberd / stealth / racer / deploy. You can't go wrong with it.
  2. Ghodere

How do I even begin to explain to a pub gunner that the Vulcan, that big old minigun mounted on top of the tank, is actually for shooting vehicles? At least to a friend I can just say, "Hey, it's a GAU-8 on a tank."
  3. Ransurian

The Halberd isn't bad at all against infantry. It's hard to pull off anything spectacular, but a solid Halberd gunner can generally bag infantry without much of a problem.
    • Up x 2
  4. Dracorean

Those rules are pretty silly to follow through, specially if you are expecting some random bloke to get into your tank and actually do all that.
  5. NC_agent00kevin

Sounds like OP need to lock his tank and not let anyone in it that is not part of the outfit.

Thats way too much to expect from pubs, and intentionally running them over is a great way to get C4'd by 'allies'.

It also placed a lot of blame for inept driving and lack of awareness on the secondary gunner, which is pretty arrogant and selfish.

Really...just lock your tank. Some of those are reasonable expectations, but a lot of it is not.
    • Up x 1
  6. Razzyman

I've always wondered why people complained about gunners, I pretty much always have a friend to gun for me, never really need a Pubbie gunner. But after reading so many of these rules I think I understand why these people don't have friends to gun for them. This thread was helpful afterall. :)
    • Up x 2
  7. Kanil

So... what, you'd rather the gun just go unused? Just sit there doing nothing while you eat incoming fire? Because you can't stop at a nearby Sunderer and let someone class switch after the threat is dealt with?

You seem like a charming individual. You should consider locating a gunner before you pull the tank, or just stick to the Lightning -- it's made for lone wolves, after all.
    • Up x 1
  8. AshHill07

I usually have pubbie gunners, as I usually find that 2 tanks are more effective than 1.

As for secondary's I generally run C85 or ML85 and its been a hell of a long time since I've ever had to kick anyone out.
    Sometimes people jump in, realize its a C85 and piss off ... seems people are unwilling to give it another chance.

Provided you actually know how to use the weapon I have on the roof to some basic degree I don't really mind.

• Random class and can't be bothered to change just to gun?
    • Just want a lift to the next base?
    • Just bored of what you were doing before?
    • Want 2 kills with my secondary just for a few kills?
    Don't care. Can you shoot straight? Climb aboard.
    • Up x 2
  9. Yuukikun

0) Do not write a whole post in yellow and bold font, especially if you're not going to leave spaces between your listed numbers
    • Up x 3
  10. ronjahn

THIS. An important rule is if you get in, make sure you plan on staying in or telling me if you need to leave. I can't count the number of times I have had pubbies jump out or redeploy at the slightest sign we are going in a different direction from the Zerg. Stick with me pubbies, I promise it will be worth your while to flank every once in awhile. Nothing worse then getting behind a MBT only to notice your gunner has bailed.
    • Up x 1
  11. Zeppelin123

A fool and his gunner are soon departed.
  12. commandoFi

Honestly it just comes down to this: gunners should have a mic, and even if they don't they should at least follow instructions when you give them in prox chat.
  13. MajiinBuu

It seems to me like having a free gunner is a burden to most of you. Just lock your tanks, you can gun yourselves :p
    • Up x 1
  14. DrPapaPenguin

I'd only kick a gunner if he isn't an engie if he actually gets in at the base. If someone gets in at the frontline, I'll keep them until I see a sundy and ask them to swap to engie there and then.
  15. AssaultPig

this one gave me a laugh

you're not there to farm though, no sir

if you all are really that demanding about your gunners, maybe you'd be better off just locking your tanks to squad. I would rather have my secondary turret manned and firing than have it sit empty forever waiting for a perfect pubbie gunner.

I do agree about uselessly shooting at aircraft though, people are so stupid about that
  16. Pelojian

Personally you ether need to be super serious tank driver or more understanding tank driver not both.

Whatever rules you come up with on this forum are meaningless if you are unwilling to mentor new players and teach them about the game that said i think for gunners there should be some kind of UI element that informs them when a driver is using stealth or NAR followed by what level.

I think we can all agree on some basic ones though:

1) Gunner is an extra set of eyes and ears, should be vigilant for threats with Q spot
    2) Driver should communicate repair/stealth protocols, routing if not zerging.
    3) Gunner *should* know secondaries strengths, weaknesses and invalid targets(like kobalting a tank, getting it's attention and yourself and the gunner a pinebox)
  17. 70g50

To most of the rules I agree, but the way some post´s are written let me think this is an ******* meeting thread.
  18. Lord_Avatar

A fine set of rules.

Now from a gunner's perspective:

1. You will stay in contact with me so that I know what you are up to. If you do not - I will C-4 you and your tank because you deserve it.

2. You will give me a proper firing angle whenever possible. I'm not there to chill - I'm there to fight. If you do not - I will C-4 you and your tank because you deserve it.

3. You will not engage in suicide runs without notification. If you do - I will C-4 you and your tank because you deserve it.

4. We are not in a relationship so don't make me guess your intentions - if you want to prioritize a target tell me about it. If you do not - I will C-4 you and your tank because you deserve it.

5. Pay attention to what I'm saying and act accordingly because my FOV is far superior to yours. If you do not - I will C-4 you and your tank because you deserve it.
    • Up x 2
  19. Pingonaut

...Or I could just not gun for people who take themselves too seriously / are elitists. I hope you're being somewhat over dramatic for humor.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. You expect pubbies to follow these outlandish and over the top rules? How about this: GET SOME FRIENDS. Perhaps you had some that gunned for you and they got tired of having to consult a rule book just to play with you. My goodness.
    • Up x 1
  20. Verviedi

If a friendly even holds C4 or mines while near me, he's going to eat an AP shell.