Tank Shields are fair?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Battlegear2099, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Battlegear2099

Today Fighting a vangard he just about to pop only with tiny hit point left, he turns on his shield and bam bam both hit and no damage from our magrider direct hit from both guns to the vangard and then one hit he destroys the magrider ? no way bullcrap. that is wrong and should not happen when our magrider had all the advantage nailed him till he was one hit away from blowing up. That shield needs to be nurf'ed or lowered or again increase the cost.
  2. MasterOhh

If you are the BR 25 Battlegear2099 on connery, I understand the reason for your posts, by just looking at your killboard.
    Looks like the person who drove your magrider, could use some practise.
  3. LaughingDead

Want some tips? Flank, use mags advantages, don't over commit to a vanguard kill when he can pop shield, know how much you can burst down and how much he can burst down. Aka, don't charge headfirst into a vanguard.
    • Up x 2
  4. pnkdth

This is soon going to be changed similar to a resist shield.

In fact, many things are going to change in terms of vehicular warfare in PS2.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tankalishious

Funfact. Used correctly, the new resist Shield, Applied correctly, tanks more inc. Dmg than the old shield.

For OP, learn to engage Vanguards correctly. Hint: facetanking them is not correct.
    • Up x 1
  6. LordKrelas

However, this is due to the higher health pool which takes longer to repair than the other tanks. (Legit)
    - Also doesn't affect the rear, which will amplify damage.
    And since its the actual health pool, it has to be repaired.
  7. Movoza

Although I understand your frustration, the stats show that the Vanguard is only barely competitive with the other tanks, and some of us are guessing that the shield is the only reason why it is getting close to be competitive. The bare Vanguard isn't good at all. So removing it would be idiocy, as it would give the NC a truly bad MBT.

That being said, I've tried to propose a different abilities. The shield is simply obnoxious to play against while it doesn't give too much satisfaction to use. Effectiveness is second to how fun it is. If we can replace or change the ability so that non-NC don't feel cheated while the NC feels effective, it would spice up the game. For examole, you can change the whole ability to offencive, allowing you to fire one round with GAUSS technology, increasing damage and speed of the next shot tremendously, to simply changing the mechanics to a damage reduction shield so enemies feel more effective even if the shield is up. There is lots to think of.
  8. LordKrelas

Shield was hammered to death on PTS, and turned into a resistance booster already.
    Which is against higher damage weapons, at faster reload speeds, with greater mobility.
    As well, NC's vanguard had a health increase, but no changes to repair speeds;
    So it now actually takes longer to repair than the other two; And with only a resistance, the needs to be repaired a lot.

TR has firepower.
    VS has mobility.
    NC's was endurance.
  9. Tankalishious

With all due respect man, the fact that the current shield tanks REAR dmg is the only problem I have with the current shield.
    There simply should not be a quick fix for not paying attention to the battlefield causing you to be flanked. The fact that the shield tanks a full main+top gun salvo in the rear makes it an "oh **** I ducked up " button.

I don't mind you keeping the shield, even make it an 8 sec shield.. just remove rear effect and I'm cool.
  10. LordKrelas

Don't forget the rear armor used to be a slightly less effective armor value.
    Now it amplifies.

So the lack of rear protection is twice as noticeable, given not only does the shield not touch it;
    There is damage amplification now as well..
  11. Tankalishious

That amplification is across all fractions though, and I don't mind. Getting flanked and rear-ended should and must be a death sentence.
  12. LordKrelas

The Magrider's mobility isn't nullified by anyone's actions, nor facing direction.
    The Prowler's offensive boost isn't nullified by anyone's action, direction or even distance.
    The Vanguard's Shield is nullified by time, and the actions of others, including Chassis direction on a tracked vehicle.

The Prowler's speed allows it to outdistance foes, and its range allows it to keep it.
    The firepower is a bonus allowing it to kill, and take advantage of flanking with damage-output.
    In order to move beyond Forward or backwards, the entire chassis must turn first, exposing the rear easily.

The Magrider's mobility allows it to maneuver easily, evade fire, and flank targets quickly.
    The speed boost, and smaller profile can also make it easier to get around targets, add in strafing, unidirectional motion, and it becomes the hardest to flank.

The Vanguard isn't able to flank the other two as easily; Nor recover from it.
    Its ability lasts seconds, and has no effect or capability for use in a flanking, or being-flanked situation.
    Like the Prowler, the chassis must rotate first to move in other directions.
    It doesn't have the firepower to destroy a flanked target first, and it will take severe damage.
    It doesn't have the mobility to glide around a target, nor the ability to keep a specific chassis direction to the enemy while moving.
    It has the longest repair time, and reload speed - and doesn't even have the highest damage output.

The Vanguard is the only tank screwed entirely if Flanked.
    And now is dead the moment an enemy is behind it.
    Only the Vanguard's ability can be rendered null, based on chassis direction, with no effects at all in the situation.
    Even the Magburn has an effect when flanked.
  13. Tankalishious

Dude, i have 3 maxed out(minimum the essential stuff you need, and the nice to haves like max reload speed/ammo etc) and I play MBT extensively. I flank perfectly fine with the vanguard in full racer(best vang chassis for my style) and I RARELY pop the shield. I know what works and what doesn't, and when I ****** up and when the tank comes short of what I was trying to do.

The vanguard really isn't as bad as you and demi wants it to be.
    And even a racer chassis vang can outturn a mag trying to strafe around you. If you have some battlefield awareness, keeping your side armor on the mag/harasser while out-dpssing it is a walk in the park....
    And the main gun is like firing a laser... it's impossible to miss with.
  14. LordKrelas

Maxed out Vanguard.

A skilled tank operator, in Full racer, with the Shield installed.
    If you didn't need the shield, why do you have it and not something else?

A normal mag or an equally outfitted mag?

You have one shot, for moderate damage, that has high velocity, and a long reload.
    It isn't impossible to miss with; It is simply more punishing if you do, and easier for long-range.

A Good operator or a terrible one, doesn't reflect on the Tank being good or bad.
    The Average however does.
    The capabilities of the tank itself does.
  15. Whiteagle

I still think the new Shield should add some rear Resistance...
  16. LordKrelas

I think the new shield is more a gimmick than an actual shield.
    The majority of the use, relies on the new higher vanguard health; Which also takes longer to repair than other tanks.
    And with the rear amplifying damage, it just gets comic.

As well, I ain't the one dictating what the shield does; Just saying what it does.
  17. Demigan

Hey, the Vanguard isn't bad, it's just not as good as the other two. And there's the problem.

Saying "hey, I can score kills with it" doesn't mean it's suddenly good, or saying you know what the Vanguard can and can't do. I managed to go toe-to-toe with a 2/2 AP Prowler in an HE Lightning, as well as get higher average vehicle kills per hour with the HE Lightning compared to the average AP Lightning user. Does that mean the HE Lightning is suddenly as good as the AP Lightning? Ofcourse not! I'm also doing more then fine in a Vanguard, both solo and 2/2. Does that knowledge I have in that Vanguard suddenly make the tank powerful overall? No! Because we have to ask the question: how does the average player play with it? By using metrics that include everyone, from the creme de la creme to the biggest idiot that has ever taken the wheel of a Vanguard, you can gauge how good the vehicle is compared to the other vehicles where you collect the same type of information.
    Ah right, if we look at those accomplishments of each tank, the Vanguard is pretty much dangling on the bottom. It's most quoted strength, "king of MBT killing", is extremely exaggerated as the Magrider manages to get practically the same amount of MBT kills per life as the Vanguard... While in just about every other metric it's even worse off.
    • Up x 1
  18. Liewec123

here we go again, another VS who doesn't know how to use a magrider.

learn what your tank can do, learn what their tank can do,
    learn their weaknesses, learn yours.

for magrider Vs vanguard:
    you have much greater mobility, at range you can dodge shots,
    vanguard is slow and clunky and has difficulty landing shots while moving,
    at range vanguard shield also accounts for nothing, since when they use it you can simply LoS so they can't damage you either.

keep your distance, dodge their shots, land your own, there is no reason why a vanguard should ever get near a magrider.
    • Up x 2
  19. Halkesh

It looks interesting, can you give me a link please ?

Since we're discussing about vanguard, floor armor is the same as the rear armor or as the roof ?
    I might be useful to me since I try to engage vanguard that way with my lightning.
  20. LaughingDead

Floor?
    The underside supposedly has the same resistance as the rear if that's what you're asking.