Tank mines feel useless now.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, May 22, 2016.

1. OldMaster80

Oh right: dropping av mines is a fine art. I still remember the first good rule of planetside 1 ground pilots: NEVER DRIVE ON THE ROAD :D
  2. Halkesh

Mine are cheap 100 cert solution when you can't afford 2 block of C4 for new players.
    Mine cost has been reduced to 50 nanite (instaid of 75 infantry resources), plus their size has been greatly reduced.

You can use them like C4 on stand-still farming vehicle
    Drop mine near vehicle pad
    Drop mine on a planned escape road and bait enemy on them (they rarely focus on road when they look at your smoking harasser)
    Drop mine on Hossin swamp
    Hide mines on bushes/grass
    Hide mines behind hill/bridge
    Place mine under bridge
    Place mne on canyon
    Place mine where people don't expect to see mine so they'll travel at full speed with minimal awareness (like in Indar great plain)
    Place mines on airpad

Never forget to PM the guy that run on your mines and say "HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE", or something like that.
  3. Shiaari

I personally feel that mines shouldn't be Q spottable at all. The only way you should be able to identify mines at any reasonable range is with an EOD HUD. Otherwise, they shouldn't render until you're almost right on top of them.
  4. Pelojian

too many people do this instead of putting mines off road where the terrain can funnel people into your mines or spots where people love to put sundies or just under the crest of a hill so they can bait an MBT with a lightning to drive over the mines in pursuit of the 'fleeing lightning'.

i miss the old allatum broadcast hub, that ammo tower U-turn was great for bagging vehicles with tank mines, like sundies that are almost full of infantry.
  5. KaletheQuick

Mines are OP. They need a nerf.

And you, OP, need to learn. They are not here to kill, they are here to maim and slow.

Teamwork OP. Nerf teamwork.
  6. FateJH

That's fine. Give me another tank mine - add one to the second level of the standard cert line - at this lower damage threshold, we'll debate how to handle Mineguard, and call it even.
  7. LaughingDead

Ah so it only applies to anyone on foot, again.
    80-90% of the implants apply to infantry only anyhow? Besides, stepping on a mine as a footman, you get mildly annoyed and respawn, find a tankmine, you lose 450 resources, have to wait several minutes for more, lose your armored position in a colemn (in a mixed tank colemn this is actually pretty important) and they can be anywhere without very obvious placement. All you have to do is place mines where a tanker "can't" respond to them. Like at the bottom of a steep hill or in a choke point or at the top of a hill.

You're basically saying that people shouldn't have ways to counter a 1 shot kill that has no skill involved on one side.
  8. SixNineFour

Just last week I killed a magrider pilot 3 times in a row by placing tank mines on the obvious place: the road. He went on a rage, told me to git gud or something and went on 2 TR characters to teamkill me. I would say tank mines are still pretty good even if you don't put much effort into placing them.

PS: I just had an idea. Has anyone tried placing tank mines in the rumble seat of a harasser ? I know ammo boxes can sometimes driven around like that, but I wonder if I can just load 5 tank mines in the rumble seat and then drive around. Wouldn't even be a bad thing if a few fall off.

PPS: Tank mines are now more useful than ever though, because MAXes now detonate them.
  9. JohnGalt36

Man, it sucks that your no-effort instakill mines that only render 50% of the time aren't racking up kills for you.

/s
  10. FeralBoy

"Then it's overpowered and in my opinion it shouldn't work for people in vehicles."

EOD HUD is hardly overpowered as evidenced by the multiple posters chiming in on its buggy nature and frequency of not working at all. And I completely disagree that it shouldn't work for people in vehicles. That is exactly who it Should work for.

Agreed. I don't get why it has to show explosives to every ally around.
    It doesn't. EOD HUD only shows deployables to the occupants of that vehicle only. Q spot is the tool that makes them visible to all of your faction in the general area.

I would say you need to revisit some new AV mine trap strategies. I don't place nearly as many AV mines anymore since I Auraxiumed them but I still get plenty of kills when I do.

You have to remember that just like softies getting hyper-sensitive to cloakers so do vehicle drivers become hyper-sensitive to AV mines.
    Plus you never know how many astute players are actually q-spotting them and also sharing their knowledge of them in /re chat as well as over voice comms.
    • Up x 1
  11. Raap

I still get plenty of kills with tank mines.

Two things I'll agree on;
    - EOD HUD could do with a small buff across all ranks, since right now it occasionally doesn't display explosives, and when driving at full speed, even rank 4 EOD HUD won't save you. A 5 or 10 meter boost per rank would do the trick... Although I'd also be happy with a new implant that does something else that affects vehicles, because having choice would be nice for a change.

- Mines sink into the ground and become invisible. Big issue, nothing more to add to this than hope they one day fix this ancient bug. Small tip: Engineers can still disarm mines that are below the ground since you don't need direct line of sight to "repair" things (this is why you can repair MAXes from behind a wall).
  12. Pelojian

All i see EOD needing is some fixes to bugs related to mines not rendering or not being marked as they are supposed to.

the range on EOD even at EOD4 is quite short and i am fine with that, it's currently an implant you use when you want to be cautious rather then rambo. if you just want to wreck people or vehicles there are better impants for that.
  13. TrolKabu

I thought you needed line of sight to start repairing, and then you can go behind a wall and still repair the thing. Does it work the same for mines underground ? Anyway I'm not sure that it's useful as I can't see them under the ground. If i do find some, I'm already going full BOOM.
  14. FeralBoy

I don't know if this is true across the board with the repair tool and its functionality but now I am beginning to think so.
    You can also repair Construction Cover Walls without having any LoS to its repair display, even when the wall's repair display is buried underground or inside other geometry (rocks, etc).
  15. Pelojian

max rank rep tool can disarm mines, i do it almost all the time, sometimes i don't because other players are dimwits and will shoot mines i am standing next to them disarming them, killing me.
    • Up x 1
  16. PYROxSYCO

I guess you gotta get the stupid one before they get smart.. heh heh