[Suggestion] Tactical Deployment

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by GerryAtric, May 6, 2014.

1. GerryAtric

I’ve been thinking that a decent LA utility might be Tactical Deployment. Functionality would be similar to a spawn beacon. Upon entering a hex/spawning an LA could choose to use their tactical deployment ability. The LA would place a waypoint/beaconesque (not able to be destroyed) object on the map, and would then be able to deploy to this vicinity. I would envision 5 or 6 different ranks of the ability, with each rank decreasing cool down, but also let each rank increase ‘precision’. So, for example, rank 1 might have a 5 minute cooldown and allow the LA to deploy within a 50 meter radius of their drop zone, while rank 6 might have a 45 second cooldown and allow the LA to drop within a 5 meter radius. The numbers of course, are subject to tuning.

Conversely, it might be a better idea to allow the LA to have more maneuverability of their drop as each rank increases (similar to how the old drop pods used to work), and just scratch the deployment radius idea.

I feel that this ability plays to the strengths of the LA, and certainly is a more interesting idea than dual wielding IMO. However, this may not be the best idea. Without proper balancing this would be OP. LA would certainly have to give up ability to place a beacon when used in conjunction with this. Also, it would be an absolute nightmare to enemy armor, so there would have to be designated deployment areas. It’s one thing to have spawn beacons, but coordinated drops to areas that you don’t have to first access without dying could be tough to balance.
    What am I overlooking here? I’ve always thought it would be interesting if LA could eject from their drop pod as well, but that’s another thread.
  2. LagLight

I was thinking of ideal similar to this.

What about a Personal, 1 use, beacon?

It functions exactly like a normal beacon, but it only works for you, and it does not have a beam to show its location. When you choose to spawn it will disappear meaning you have to resupply / place another one for it work again.

However I was also originally thinking that it would be better for infiltrators rather than light assaults as a way of drastically reducing the run-back time for a dedicated cliff sniper.

As the OP stated, the issues involved with vehicles being constantly worried about C4 drops would make it a bit over powered, and just down-right annoying and bad for gameplay. If there was a way to force the Light Assault to have to carry another beacon in the load-out in order to spawn to the already placed beacon that would be fine. But a method like that would be highly confusing and would require some weird workaround for the load-out.

For infiltrators ( That don't have access to C4 as a rule. ) though, I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Even if the drop is used with a close-combat load-out infiltrator dropping back into say, an Amp Station, the potential damage or power of that load-out would not be that much stronger than a normal infiltrator load-out (Especially with the landing sound effect from the drop pod showing his / her position). The only difference is that the infiltrator spent resources so he / she did not have to run back, but even then, the infiltrator must have already been to the drop location at least once to drop the first beacon, and sacrifice items like claymores, and medkits.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pathogenic

If it's a utility item, there's no need for any additional downsides. You lose out on the C4 boom potential and the MKs which can mean worlds of difference for sustained perching. Trying to limit the spawn beacon placement is useless, since it's not like getting a beacon close enough for government work is ever impossible.

A personal beacon is a bit bland to me, but if it had some upgrades because it's personal over the squad beacon, I may be alright with it, but I like the idea of a one-shot jetpack catapulting me into position like a personal biolab pad lift.

The way I thought of it myself (since we all know the pains of hard-earned spots quickly going to waste outside of dropping a squad+ on your beacon) is to make it a tool. We'll call it the Insertion Module for now. In game, it looks like a giant extra bit of jetpack strapped onto the LA.

One use per resupply. It takes 3 seconds for it to go from inactive to charging, and the LA is slowed incredibly while the tool is not dry on "Ammo", so camping with it on is going to be a bit risky and it's not going to rocket anyone out of every fight.

It would lock access to any weapons for ~10s as you get turned into a human rocket moving at 100 kph, makes a screaming sound as it goes, and it travels geeeenerally in a forward, arcing motion. LAs now have a 1Km max range insertion tool! It's not going to be making any C4 drops because that would be dumb, but it's also going to be bloody risky.

Once it burns up or the LA deactivates it, there's a droppod-like delay of 1-2s while the spent module is discarded. Again, inherent risk for the reward of being able to insert properly (giggity).

So the pro is having a personal gravlift that can be controlled a bit better and be taken anywhere. Drifters can rocket to the moon then drift without having to taint the air game, and both can end up doing some crazy things with access to it. It's also a straight upgrade since currently there are no tool slot items.

The cons are 3 second chargeup time, movement slow while equipped, one use per resupply, no items or shooting while in use, will definitely attract attention, and the 2 second delay after use.

MOST FRICKIN IMPORTANTLY

We just need *some* version of this, at the very, very least.
    • Up x 1
  4. Iridar51

So you're saying when LA dies instead of wishing he could respawn near his place of death, LA respawns at the neighboring base and uses insertion module to quickly get back in the action?
    That's actually a very interesting and fresh idea, and it's a lot more fun than personal spawn beacon.

I like PSB too, though, because enemies can deny LA his respawn if they're quick about it.

Pathogenic, you should definitely push for your idea. Post it in Ideas and Suggestions, and when, if ever, LA revamp comes around, post it in roadmap section too. And now, too.
    • Up x 1
  5. Pathogenic

Thanks for the +1. Followed your advice and put it up in Ideas and Suggestions.

But yeah. Basically I'd want to insert quickly every time with LA. It means you can truly always be in some screwy places and alter battle lines, and you can always be the first responder. But the other side should know you're doing it, should know about where you land, should have a mild chance to shoot you in the transit, and you shouldn't be able to land it on someone's foot without major luck.

Then the other considerations to limit C4 abuse and instant escaping.

The PSB is a bit easier since it's an already existing mechanic that would just need tweaks. But I want to be a rocketman :(