Swarm - nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MonnyMoony, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MonnyMoony

Why the hell did they nerf the swarm so badly. It's one thing to reduce it's lockon range - but to massively reduce the range over which it tracks targets is IMO massive overkill. It's almost impossible to hit aircraft anymore.

Fire it on slow rocket mode and the aircraft can easily outrun even without afterburners.

Fire it on fast rocket mode and if the aircraft dodges - the rockets burn out before they can make even a single turn.

It's not like the swarm was massively dominating air - the rockets were quite easy to dodge anyway and did so little damage - getting an actual kill even if you did land 2 or 3 rockets was not a dead cert either.

Yet another weapon that was in a reasonably good place - nerfed into oblivion by heavy handed devs.
    • Up x 2
  2. BartasRS

That's quite true. I used to enjoy Swarm a lot now I noticed it barely hits any air vehicles.
    Sad part is that I just recently bought Ravenous pack and Swarm is a part of it LOL.
  3. MonnyMoony

I found a post on redit that suggests the tracking time for fast rockets was reduced from 16 seconds to 5. That's less than 1/3rd of the original time. Slow rockets were also reduced from 16 seconds to 8 (a 50% reduction).

When using swarm originally - fast rockets would almost always miss on their first pass - only hitting on the second or third after doing a couple of wide turns. This reduction in tracking time means that, in effect, they don't get a second or third pass. Hitting an aircraft with fast rockets is almost impossible unless they are hovering - or flying directly towards/away.

It's a shame the Oracle of death website is no longer running - it would have been interesting to see what effect the nerf had on the swarm's performance. I bet the number of air kills has dropped dramatically (anecdotally i'd say by a factor of 10 based my own experience). I don't think I may have only killed a single aircraft with it since it's nerf - and even getting hit markers seems few and far between - whereas before you'd usually get at least one or two unless the pilot was good at evading.

This is a huge nerf to what was a less than stellar weapon in the first place. IMO - the reduction in lockon range was more than sufficient.