[Suggestion] Swapping between ammo types for tanks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Terrince, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Terrince

Greetings all!

I think it would be interesting if we could swap ammo types for our MBT and Lightning. This would either be put in the utility, defense, or performance slot. It could go something like this

You pull a tank with AP and full ammo for the AP (70 shells if I remember right) with the ammo swap it now drops the ammo amount to 50 AP rounds and gives you 10 HESH and 10 HEAT rounds.

The ammo swap ability would reduce your ammo amount by 20 for all tank cannons, excluding the Skyguard.

I understand the HEAT cannon is the all-round, however the ability could be changed to AP and HESH being the only swappable rounds between themselves instead. Splitting the ammo 40 main rounds and 30 swappable.

What do y'all think?
    Take care and good luck!
    • Up x 1
  2. TR5L4Y3R

no, too much diversaty for a plattform that is already difficult to deal with for infantry, you don´t need your extrafarmingrounds to your Antitankoption
  3. Demigan

Swapping between firing modes? Ok. Swapping between ammo types? No. It would not be a good balance if an AP tank can just switch to farmtools while basking in some ammo sundy nearby.

I could see each tank canon have a variety of firing modes though. Example:

HESH can turn into an explosive canister shot, basically a single-shot high power airhammer.
  4. RabidIBM

I personally like the idea as well, and there is plenty of real world precedent to justify one tank bringing multiple ammos. However, I think the IVIs in this game have too much clout for it to ever happen.

I doesn't really make sense that you have to cert into bringing ammo. Given all the trouble of making a tank, it wouldn't be that much for to actually fill all the ammo cans. A bone stock tank could start with all heat, then the player has to cert into bringing AP or HE shells. The number keys would work to change ammo for the next reload, with a reload being available to slowly unload and reload, or the fast ammo change would be to blast out whatever is already in there.
  5. TR5L4Y3R

everytime we bring reality into a discussion ...
    before we give tanks more versatility to farm planetmans can we give infantry besides HAs and LAs propper AV Tools ... no C4 is not a propper AV tool
    • Up x 1
  6. Demigan

In that case it also doesnt make sense that you have to cert into optics. Although "all the trouble making the tank" is a stretch. A real tank is worth several hundredthousand grenades. PS2 tanks are worth 9 grenades. A single modern training round for a tank is worth around 40 grenades. Just stocking up on training rounds would take you a week or more of purely waiting for nanites.

Dont let us switch to other ammo types. Let us switch fire modes instead.