Suppressor

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kyouki, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ChironV

It sounds similar, I admit. But its quieter. I use headphones and I can hear the difference. I have used Sol SF as well. More importantly, in a battle, its dang near undetectable due to the noise of the battle and I don't show up as a tiny red dot on the mini-map.
  2. Niric

Ah OK then - yeah I'm using headphones as well. I went back and edited in the slight sound difference I could hear before I saw you responded.

Well that detail really bothers me a lot. I feel the weapon should sound significantly different as to cause confusion to those that don't use them as to whether or not its a friend or foe's suppressor being used. To me the sound effect change of the Suppressor being audible at short range but also notable as a suppressed sound effect, would help trigger 2 reactions in players that I want to happen. 1 it may cause additional friendly units to peak around the corner and check in on you to see if you need back up unknowingly because they may think its an enemy. And 2 it could cause players to come out of cover to come looking for you in your hiding spot expecting they can best you.

The sound effect itself is almost like a challenge being issued to other players to play 'find the hidden guy that wont show on the mini map' and it could flush out some of the more confident players out from their defensive positions. Much like what happens when people see an ESF using rocket pods, everyone runs for their Anti-Air options because every infantry hates getting farmed by rocket pods and they want revenge. I feel the sound of a max unit weapons causes the same effect as well. The ones confident and equipped to fight one, will come running. Haha.

Still as long as its not showing me on the mini map when I use it, I guess that's the most important part.

-Niric
  3. Angelus359

Just an interesting point for you guys... You can combine a silencer with a radar flash. You know where all of them are, they have no idea where the hell you are. You get the drop every time, and they never hear or see you.
  4. Pat22

I got a flash suppressor on my carbine, and a full suppressor on my pistol. I use the pistol when I sneak behind enemy lines and have a good vantage point and don't want to get spotted. It also increases the amount of time I can stay at said vantage point and the amount of people I can kill since it carries 102 rounds total, with the 2nd level ammo belt. It feels good sometimes after killing a few snipers and looking at my carbine still at 30 / 180-ish.

As far as I can tell the suppressor works very well for concealing your position because whenever I use it I get to do a lot of damage before someone finds out where I am, and it's usually when I switch back to my carbine for whatever reason.
  5. KodanBlack

I've done the same thing. I was positive that the supressor was working because I had no enemy troopers engaging me throughout. Heck, they didn't even look in my direction.

As a side note, I compensate for the range effectiveness reduction by using HV ammo with the suppressor. It seems to work well for me, as I've still been effective in the mid-range fights, when I've needed to be.
  6. ghnurbles

The suppressor is definitely worthwhile, especially if you're doing a lot of CQC work. For moderate to long-range work I would go without.

Don't just equip it and forget about it, take it on and off depending on your situation.