Suppressor

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kyouki, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kyouki

Is the suppressor even worth the 100 certs to buy it?
    Has anyone tested out the flash suppressor?

Often when I lose cover its because my target gets away before I can drop him. Or moves just as I fire and have to follow him, not because I've bleeped on the map.

I've finished upgrading everything else for light assault that i can think of for my immediate load out. Now Ill just upgrade my nanoweave, or test out the adrenaline suit slot.

I tried playing other classes but I just got angry at the fact that I could not fly!
  2. Zenben

I wouldn't suggest buying a suppressor until they get the kinks worked out of the radar blip system. I see so many phantom blips on radar I want to gouge my eyes out. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't work at all.
  3. Akfourtys

I use the sound suppressor all the time and do beleive im not blinking on hostile radar. But sometimes i just wish to put it off, because damage is low and headshots are needed.
  4. CheeseThief

I like my suppressor, the damage drop off and lower bullet velocity are pretty bad but overall I take significantly less return fire than I would without it, although I also get significantly less mid-range kills with it as well.

Works great in close combat though, people don't hear the gunshot or see the mini-map ping and despite turning around and seeing you right behind them most people seem to take a second or two to put one and one together.
  5. HerpTheDerp

That, plus considering how big the minimap is(and you apparently can't adjust the size), I don't think getting tagged is much of a problem. Maybe if you're a sniper, but since this is LA board...
  6. Nuubo

Ever tried deploying on the top of the watchtower and killing people from the ledge just above the top floor (the one with helipads) without suppressor? :)

Also, not sure if anyone else does it, but if I see red dot blink on the minimap, I go and search for that person and very often it results in a kill (either his or mine... :p). So yeah, go ahead and dont buy the suppressor, especially if you are either NC or TR ..... *whistles*
  7. Achmed20

once i was sitting like 10 mins on top of one of those watchtowers and killed, medics, snipers which were like 3m beneath me.
    all the time they couldnt figure out where i was at due to the supressor.
    im using the gauss-s and i cant say i notice any damage drop at short-med range. but everything medium+ range related is harder and seems to do less damage.
    id say its worth it.
  8. Azerin

LOL I saw someone doing that today, I figured it out almost immediately but he managed to kill me by using one of the bars as cover, then a 2nd time by going up higher and shooting me before I could find him. During this time no one else saw him even though I was telling them and marking him :D I bet he was laughing his *** off.

If you get into close range, flank a lot and/or go building to building I'd advise you get it. If you find yourself in a mix or fighting at mid-range or longer more often then you'd best pass on it.
  9. Achmed20

its honestly the perfect spot for an ambush. since they are right beneath you, you cant do anything else then headshots thus saving a great amount of ammo :D
    if i do this, i kill like 2 or 3 person then switch position to make it harder to spot me.
  10. HerpTheDerp

I usually camp the ledge with the circular holo-color thing. Without a suppressor.

But you're making a good point, though not in your favor: in case of verical installations like the watchtower, the minimap mark is even more worthless, because you can't tell the elevation it's on.
  11. Nuubo

Thats not quite true, if you see a teammate die next to you and spot a red blink behind you, there is a good chance that he died to someone on the ledge, rather than to some sniper on the ground, 400m far. Knowing the direction is enough, you can figure or check the elevation rather quickly in most cases, so that shouldnt be a problem.
  12. Bayho

I personally love the Suppressor. I like getting into places where I can remain hidden, especially into trees where enemies are advancing below me. There is a great tree at the base of the main road up to The Crown, where people collect for cover and behind nearby rocks. Their heads are so big!!! Drop some C4 and some grenades when they congregate, and just rack up the kills. Getting to these types of places can be hard and cost a few deaths. Well worth it, considering you can rack up dozens of kills.
  13. strateUPjanky

i have the suppressor and it seems to work. i guess i cant know for sure but i often hide up in the rafter equvilent of bases and pick ppl off until im out of ammo a lot
  14. Trenyt

For ambushing and taking out more then a single sniper/soldier on a hill, the suppressor is a god send.
    For providing the means to attack from varied elevation and not giving your precise location away its a boon.
    For close combat in urban environs, not revealing your location away is amazing.

Suppressor is a very useful tool for everything inside the medium-close range. It rapidly loses any use beyond medium.
  15. Niric

I finally decided to unlock the suppressor for my VS Light Assault, Solstice SF. I'm actually not happy with and I wonder if its a bug. As far as I can tell when I shoot it, it sounds basically the same. Its not nearly the sound change effect that the NC and TR get that helps make it hard to tell what faction it is.

It also looks like it completely removes the muzzle flash, so I'm wondering if the problem is that they goofed up an actually have the Flash suppressor effect put on the (sound) Suppressor by mistake on the Solstice SF? I made a topic on this a few days ago and it sank like a rock with no responses, so who knows.

Any other VS here with suppressors on their carbines notice a sound effect change that's notable at all?

Based on these uncertainties I can't really tell if its hiding me from the proxy map radar or not. I feel like it might, but it could all be in my head. That's the biggest issue with the Suppressor I guess. Its hard to tell if its really actually doing anything for you. I'll have to see if I can get a friend to test it for me somehow.

-Niric
  16. doctorzais

I have tried all 3 barrel attachments for NC, compensator, flash suppressor, and suppressor and here is my review.

1) The flash suppressor is the biggest waste of certs ever. It reduces muzzle flash but really all it does is replace the default gun flash color to black and it is still very visible at short and medium range. It does nothing to suppress sound and will also spot you on the minimap. It also makes your spraying even worst by adding increased recoil. I did not notice one bit of extra combat effectiveness with this whatsoever. It's pathetic and needs a buff.

2) The compensator does what is advertised but with severe drawbacks. It WILL make the gun easier to fire and more accurate when zoomed in. It is definitely nice if you are using a sniping gun like the AC-x11 (which is an Engy weapon IMO) but for the Merc (not sure if available tbh), GD7F, or Gauss S, it will severely affect your hipfire accuracy and make the COF even worst than it is. To me hipfire is a necessary ability to have as it is the only real effective way to defend against someone who has the drop against you or if you need to fire your gun right away without any delay. Overall it is not a bad attachment but it does not fit the style of play of an LA, which is one of quick reactions and twitchy gun play.

3) The suppressor makes you god of close range combat. You can kill multiple enemies without them even noticing. There is no drop off on damage or bullet drop at close range and I assume the stealth on the minimap is working since I have been able to kill people over and over in the same area without being detected. There is however significant bullet drop and noticeable loss of damage at med-long range. It will make your carbine worst than your shotgun at hitting people past 15-20m.

The best set up for getting a high K/D is Suppressor, 2x reflex, underslung grenade launcher, and grenade bandolier with frags

The best set up for base assaulting and overall contribution to team play is suppressor, IRNV, underslung smoke launcher, and flak armor with flashbangs

The best set up for long range harassing is an AC-X11 with Compensator, 3.4 or 4.0 zoom, high velocity ammo, and foregrip (or laser sight)
  17. Yalk

Does anyone know, or think they have a good guess as to how much the suppressor actually reduces velocity?
  18. ChironV

Based on day to day usage with the suppressor I have found that it chops off somewhere around 10% of projectile speed. For medium to close-medium distances its not a worry.

Currently when I am out jumping around I use, 2x reflex, grenade launcher, suppressor, soft point ammo. I have certed up extra ammo so I can stay out and about harassing the enemy. If I was near engie's I wouldn't need it but since I usually spend my time running rooftops or walls I rarely see engies.
  19. Yalk

Hrm, only 10% you say...
  20. Niric

I assume you've been playing VS based on your avatar? What carbine did you add the suppressor to? How did effect the firing sound of the carbine you attached it to? I

Edit: I'm having trouble getting feedback on these questions. Do the VS weapons being Suppressed not get a sound effect change like the suppressed NC and TR guns get? If that is the case, that really bothers me. My Solstice SF silenced sounds almost exactly the same as an unsuppressed one. In fact it sounds like they just a small bit of compressed air fluffing/hiss sound to the existing sound of the gun- rather than actually reducing the volume level or changing the of the gun's firing sound.

Thanks for this review Doctorzais! I was hoping for the actual effects of the barrel attachments to be put into a 'real world' explanation like you did there. The in game descriptions are pretty for some of the attachments seem to be pretty void of the important details in most cases. Edit: I really hope they give us access to a VR shooting and vehicle range soon. That way there is very little question on how some of these attachments work - they can just let us equip and fire and pilot anything in a safe instance.

-Niric