Suppressed Pistol Questions.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by TheAntiFish, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TheAntiFish

Has anyone figured out the range that the damage reduction applies with the NC pistols? My VR tests have been inconclusive.

I say this because while the suppressor is very useful if you want to stay off radar, i find myself using the pistol mainly when people already know i'm there and with the suppressor attached i tend to lose the gunfight a lot more often than without.

Pro's/Con's anyone?
  2. CaptainAmeda

Suppressors do not affect the pistols, it even says it in the description of the suppressor for the pistol. But, the newly added 1000 cert empire specific pistols are effected. For you, it think the desperado is effected by the suppressor, while the free one, and the 250 cert ones are not effected.

Besides, suppressors do no reduce damage, jut velocity, except of coarse for the pistols I mentioned.
  3. TheAntiFish

AH this i did not know, Although i do use the desperado as the sidearm of choice. Cheers!
  4. Plague Rat

All pistols are subjected to suppressor downsides. It doesn't explicitly say so it in cert description but they do.

It's the damage ranges that are reduced, not the damage itself.

The Rebel for example's maxium damage range is 15m. With a suppressor it's cut back to 9m, a 40% reduction. This is the range at which a double-tap headshot will no longer kill your target if you'd care to take a few minutes to reproduce this in VR and get a feel for the range difference. The minimum damage range on the other hand only appears to be decreased by 33%, from 60m to ~40m.

EDIT: just verified the same 40% max and 33% min range reduction applies to the mag-shot and desperado as well.
  5. TheAntiFish

Ah that's very useful information, i might get somewhere in the VR range now i have the idea.

What's your preference, use the suppressor as a rule or would you call it situational?
  6. Plague Rat

Primarily I'd say situational. It should depend on what you're doing. But at the same time your pistol is mostly going to be a close range option, so they don't suffer terribly from the downsides of a suppressor to begin with. So don't stress if you just want to throw one on and leaving it, or if you want to have a suppressed pistol to compliment a 'loud' primary.

Keep in mind that only people within 40m see you on the mini-map when you fire an unsuppressed weapon, those are the people your suppressor will hid you from. If there's not going to be many enemies in that bubble around you, such as mid to long range sniping, I generally don't bother suppressing anything, but it is a decision to be made from terminal to terminal based on what I'm walking into.
  7. TheAntiFish

Makes sense, i'll have to have a test with the 3 pistols i have unlocked. May even cert into the commissioner.

I thought i appeared on the map at much larger ranges to be honest.
    I'm glad i asked now! Thanks.
  8. Plague Rat

No problem, and yeah, 40m is the standard for an unsuppressed weapon. It's not exactly a small area but it's not exactly huge either.

Just be aware that if you have a compensator on a weapon that gets doubled to 80m as one of it's downsides, so that might be how you got the impression it was larger if you use those a lot.
  9. TheAntiFish

I've not used a compensator once, I just assumed it would appear on the entire minimap for every enemy in the region lol. At least i have more of a clue than i did! Thanks again.
  10. Blue_Moon

For most weapons, a suppressor lowers the maximum damage range by 5 and the minimum damage range by 25. What this means is that, say with the magshot where you begin to do less than 200 damage at 10 meters and you reach your minimum damage of 112 at 60 meters, adding a suppressor to that will make you do less than 200 damage starting at 5 meters and you will do minimum damage earlier at 35 meters. I would only recommend sticking a suppressor on your pistol if that's your primary infiltrator weapon. If you have a longer ranged primary but want to get closer with, say, a rebel, a suppressor wouldn't be a bad idea. Otherwise, stay far away.

One huge advantage with smgs is that suppressors affect them less than any other weapon in the game, lowering maximum damage range by 3 and minimum damage range by 10.
  11. TheAntiFish

Thanks to the patch and my extra 4fps the desperado is now an extremely effective suppressed weapon, I think i'll stick with it!