Supernova FPC vs VPC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jaeger716, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Jaeger716

Looking for some advice from experienced Mag pilots who have used both extensively.

I have been using VPC and I do fine with it and i'm able to go on big killing sprees but certainly seems to be a little under powered when big tank fights break out.

My question is how much more damage do you do with the FPC against tanks? How effective is it against infantry? I notice with the VPC that even though it has some splash damage I still have to make a direct hit with infantry for it to OHK. Now I would say my aim is pretty spot on and I can get direct hits on moving infantry from a distance so would FPC be just as effective vs infantry for me? I was expecting the VPC to have more splash damage than it does...

Do I go ahead and put certs into maxing out reload speed for the VPC to make up for the lack of damage vs. tanks? or do I buy into FPC and have it for when big tank battles break out?

If you can give percentages or comparisons for damage values that would help...

Thanks in advance
  2. task_master

~66% more damage

welcome to infantryside
    yes, FPC is about as effective for AI as VPC, while also dealing with vehicles

always AP rounds for every tank, so yes get FPC

tank shell damage:
    base damage * (1 - damage type resistance) * (1 - armor resistance) = damage vs. actual health
    in this case we'll use a prowler front

VPC: 1175 * (1 - [-.1]) * (1 - .63) = 478.23 damage, from a total 4000 health
    FPC: 1865 * (1 - [-.15]) * (1 - .63) = 793.56 damage, from a total 4000 health

793.56 / 478.23 = 1.66x damage
    • Up x 1
  3. Takara

FPC is just about all I use. I've gotten to the point where I'm fairly good at hitting infantry. You need to direct hit them to kill them. But the bonus against other vehicles is just amazing.

VPC, I own it....it's a nitch thing. When I see massive amounts of infantry and they have lots of AV or MAXs protecting them. I will pull it and just spam/harass them and farm till my own team's infantry overwhelm them due to them all wandering into combat already softened up.

So honestly ...my standard tank set up is FPC/Saron or FPC/*missile launcer...forget it's name*

When I set out to kill infantry I generally pull a harasser with the bulldog or Fury.
  4. LodeTria

If you're good at hitting infantry there is very few reasons to run HEAT or HE rounds on a tank anymore. The only other reason to use them is directives so you can get your fancy auraxium armour.
  5. FBVanu

Calisai needs to chime in here... watch his Youtube videos...

FPC, all the way.
    A bit faster projectile.. which can make all the difference in and of itself.
    Huge impact on target.. it scares lots of other tankers when they git hit the first time ..
    When I'm in my Prowler, I can tell what type cannon a Mag is using.. if its FPC.. I have to be much more careful, or even retreat.
    Lower Time to Kill.. obviously, on everything
    If you run the target implant, level 1, it shows the health bar on enemies and enemy vehicles. The FPC impact on target shows a big difference.. letting you live longer and get more kill streaks.

If you have enough Certs, .....
    I personally run Zoom 2, max reload, max ammo.. (but the last level of max ammo is 1,000 certs, for basically 2 more shells., no real need there.. )
    If you don't have the reload speed, then the bigger damage output from the FPC is not really helping, 'cause enemy tanks can put less damage on you, much faster, and thus they kill you faster anyway. and the Mag is already a low HP vehicle...

You just have to learn to aim better on moving targets. It's an adjustment from a slower shell with splash, to a faster shell without splash. But it is worth every cert point you put into it.

Good luck to you.
  6. Mythologicus

VPC (HE) has the potential to suck less on Magriders than on other tanks due to the higher rate of fire but same splash potential, but it's still a terrible choice in 90% of scenarios.
  7. Towie

Up to 5 times more FPCs pulled than VPCs - says it all really.

AND - VPC is used more often than Titan or P2 HE ! (In fairness, VPC isn't bad and the Magrider is pretty good for AI duties)

Every bit as important is the secondary. Saron or Halberd are both good choices. Very risky to go up against another MBT without one !
  8. eldarfalcongravtank

always use FPC (AP) on the Magrider

for HE farming, use the Lightning Viper: much higher DPS and the Lightning itself is smaller, faster and has a lower profile (harder to hit)
  9. KirthGersen

Lold. VPC (and other HE) is able to kill a full-health peasant (non-FLAK armor) with splash while FPC requires dirct hit.
    But I agree that using the best ever made anti-tank machine that way is pretty stupid (unless you're auraxing VPC - thanks Vanu gods I'm already done with it).

OP, the choice is very simple. Get yourself FPC+Saron/Halberd (both are great), Magburner, Vehicle Stealth, Racer/Rival chassis and a gunner. Then kill as many Vanguards as you can, preferrable from behind ;) Good luck!

P.S. Don't be greedy after all and invest new earned certs into main cannon's, then gunner's weapon reload speed. This "unnoticeable 0.5s" means a lot in a real fight.
  10. WetPatch

There is no reason to use anything other than FPC.... Ever.

Its just a shame Higby left before he fulfilled his promise to normalize Magrider cannons velocity.
  11. KirthGersen

Unfortunately there is a reason. Directives.
    Now I have to aurax default PC and this will be as painful as auraxing L100 HEAT (which I did after the splash damage herf).
  12. WetPatch

I got lucky and Aurax the cannons a long long time ago, used to love my Magrider. My downfall is i was always the pilot, so im trying to do the nerfed Saron atm.
  13. ShineOut

Well they pretty much said it all....
    I suppose you can use the PC if there's really heavy infantry, but even then... shouldn't focus to much on infantry for the sake of distraction. Unless you're just bored with nothing to do or unless it's an engie setting a torrent up of course. But like they said, If you're not going for the directive then FPC all the way honestly. Everything else is just under whelming or a downgrade.