[Suggestion] Sunny's List of tweaks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sunflash, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Sunflash

(If this is in the wrong place, my utmost apologies.)

So I was playing PS2 earlier, and something started bugging me. Why do the little things get skipped every update? Are they just not known?

Ergo, my personal list of pet peeves, in no real order at all.

• Make weapon attachment toggling only change the current weapon.No seriously. If I'm turning the flashlight on my pistol off, I do NOT want to turn off the laser sight for my heavy's machine gun. (On that note why is the laser sight even turn-off-able in the first place?) Is this really a big thing to change? :/
    • Double-click in the map on a spawn point should not zoom in.Okay this isn't a BIG deal, just annoying. I realize sometimes I try to spawn faster than I'm allowed, but I know this is happening when I'm not actually waiting on any spawner cooldown(except maybe a beacon cooldown, screw that thing). Suddenly having my map zoom in when I'm expecting a loading screen is a touch confusing.
    • Change mini-map zoom levels/size to be vehicle/foot/aircraft dependent.I don't know about you, but when I'm riding a Sundie or Harraser into a conflict zone, I like to have my map zoomed out as far as I can so I can watch teammates maneuvering and try to decide where the biggest clump of baddies are. However, when I jump OUT of said transport, I kinda want my zoom level to be closer in so I can try to use the map to decide where exactly that blasted heavy was when he shot at me.
      Not having to spend a couple extra seconds spamming the damn zoom-size buttons would be a nice touch!

And that's just off the top of my head I suppose. I'm sure I'll come up with more when I play again.

Whatever, got it off my chest and somewhere that a PS2 dev /might/ be able to see it. Good try I suppose.
    • Up x 1
  2. Zalamand3r

Bind your mini map zoom to mouse wheel. Helps a lot.
  3. Sunflash

I actually have it bound to some extra buttons on my mouse, and it does help. It's still kind of annoying though.

In other peeves:
    • COLORS.Right, so a non-platoon squaddie has exactly two possible waypoints on their map: A squad point, and their personal waypoint. All single-squads are pretty easy to manage because hey you've got at most two points to worry about on your map. HOWEVER, when it goes to platoon, things get confusing as hell because only SOME of the colors change. Case in point: Just a few hours ago I was playing in a platoon on Charlie squad. There was 1) The bright yellow-ish platoon waypoint, 2) The bright green Alpha-Squad Waypoint, 3) The bright green Charlie-Squad-Leader-Placed Squad Waypoint, and 4) Bravo squad's waypoint that I don't actually remember the color of because it wasn't confusing me.

This may not seem too bad, in the sense that "Okay so your squad leader can only place bright green waypoints that look almost exactly like the platoon-wide alpha squad point." But it gets worse when you realize that in Charlie squad, all your squad-mates are purple on the various maps/indicators. So when the squad-leader chimes in that he's slapped a waypoint for us to hustle too, I spend at least three minutes going in circles(or in one particularly sad flight, halfway across the contintent) before I figure out which waypoint is the one I want.

I realize that the various waypoints have different symbols, but when you're under heavy fire sometimes you miss the chevrons saying "HEY THIS IS ALPHA GO SOMEWHERE ELSE FOOL" and walk blithely into stupid things. I guess my point here is that If you're going to use specific colors for different squads, their Waypoints(both platoon and squad-placed) should be the exact same color.
    I know, I know. "Stop sucking!" is probably a semi-valid answer, but when you have a job that requires you to not spend every waking hour of every day perfecting your gaming skills, a LITTLE ui help would go a long way to making PS2 more enjoyable to play.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sunflash

So another thing occurred to me last night.

• Make the AA turrets sound different per faction.
      Maybe its just me, but every time we take an amp station or tech plant(or even some of those larger outposts that are just close enough to each other), I have to constantly watch the sky to figure out if the AA turrets I'm hearing are from our side in the base we just flipped(and therefore I should really find some cover) or if it's a turret from the still hostile outlying base and nothing to worry about.

We already have the turret's tracers differently colored, so why not do something with the sounds? Even if its just a pitch change, ANYTHING would be nice to get.
    • Up x 1
  5. Flamberge

You probably already know this, but turning off the laser sight does not take away it's COF effect. It's the same whether it's on or off.
  6. Sunflash

Ya know, I actually did NOT know that(I suspected something like that or that mine was broken, but...). That is good to know! Maybe it should be listed on the attachment tooltip. Thanks. :D
  7. Sunflash

Something else:

• Add a voice-command for "GET OUT OF MY LINE OF FIRE".Mainly because if I have to stop suppressing that doorway with my turret long enough to throw on my headphones and scream into local chat to "**** MY WAY YOU WORTHLESS IDIOTS" one more time, I'm going to just keep shooting. >:|
  8. Sunflash

I was trying to decide on what to upgrade next on my Lighting, when I realized something that kicked up another idea:

• Create a way for Lightings to swap their weapon loadout while living.
      This would probably be tricky to balance I realize; but would make me feel much better about actually dropping god knows how many thousands of certs into my Lighting if I could get the full use out of those damn Nanites I have to have lying around.

Consider; during a big tank zerg push, you're most likely anything BUT Skyguard simply because you're either pushing inf off the flanks or trying to help smash down the MBT front-line with ap rounds. Assuming your push survives and makes it to whatever base they're heading towards, you've probably got an over-abundance of anti tank/inf tanks running around shooting everything, and a limited amount of AA(This is usually the part where I die to the swaps of aircraft).
      Having the option to roll back to a secured base and spend X amount of Nanites(I 'unno, 1/4th to 1/2 the total cost of a new lighting?) and change your weapon would drastically help you from turning into a complete waste once the initial purpose of your tank pull is done.

Eh, probably just wishful thinking. Still, that's the point I suppose. Guy can daydream if he wants.
  9. Sunflash

Next idea that hit me(or rather, someone else...) today.

--Make the mini-map icons for a deployed Sundie be noticeably different than a regular Sundie.
    Long story short I play my Lighting like a raider; around and behind and etc . Sometimes this involves sprintjng through the back of a friendly zerg to try to lose air or a harraser.
    I can usually guess pretty well which of the sundies ob my map are deployed, but sometimes Im wrong.

That usually involves squishing a friendly who thought i was looking for him and etc.
    (today's victim was in a quiet enough zone so i could pop out, swap to medic, and rez him. but still!)
    • Up x 1
  10. LeafTheLeafeon

You can actually set every squad to any color you want. Platoon will always be the gold marker, but squads can be set to your liking. This will affect waypoint markers, player icons on the map, and name badges in game.
    To do this, go to the squad screen. You can click each squad's name (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta) to set their colors.
    • Up x 1
  11. Sunflash

Holy god really?! This is a thing that I MUST test tonight after work! THANK YOU SIR!
  12. Sunflash

Random thought, and I'm pulling numbers out of Higby's ears at this point so keep that in mind; but...

Why don't we cut the contient-wide population bonuses(that you get for your side being under-pop compared to the others?) in about half.

THEN

Add an under-pop bonus that stacks /with/ the continent bonus; but based on the hex/surrounding hexes?

With the idea being "People would be more tolerant of being over-zerged if they got more certs because of it", or some such train of thought.

I 'unno, like I said. Random thought.
    • Up x 1
  13. Shadowomega

@Sunflash I know how you feel about Suppressing fire but even a macro won't help people are being dumb.

As for the ability to switch weapons and other items on vehicles has been suggested many times. I suspect its one that that will come much later in development. PS1 did introduce a system for like that but only for the BFR's (Battle Frame Robotics) but those were broken OP and left a massive scar that even has a lasting effect in PS2 development.

As for Turrets on bases their all NS built so only difference will be the tracers.
  14. Sunflash

Stupid NS needs to stop. Oh well.

Another question: Why can't we go to the VR directly from the spawn screen? Some of us actually us it on a regular basis(okay I'm mainly constently checking to see if they've fixed joysticks yet but) and it would be nice to not have to load a warpgate before loading the damn VR...
  15. Shadowomega

Likely due to the way VR will be once each faction has a sanctuary continent where players log into, so I don't think that will change. Only way to current log into VR is logging out while in VR or the server pop is so high that its dropping people right into the only free space left.
  16. Sunflash

Right, so I confess I have no idea how this would work on a Galaxy(a liberator would be slightly tricky but still manageable); however why is it that only tanks have a 'your turret is facing this direction relative to your treads'(I say this and realize I have no idea if NC/TR MBTs do this, I know my Vanu lighting does) type thing?

Let me clarify:

I want to have on my harraser an icon upon my HUD that is very similar to that used by lightings, but I want it to demonstrate where my gunner is looking relative to my vehicle.

I want to be able to hear my gunner in my Magrider go "prowler, top of the hill!" and be able to simply glance down and see what direction he is looking at.

I don't want to have to look at my vehicle health monitor icon and try to find a very tiny black circle/arrow/thing that I can't really see if I'm damaged enough that the green is below the seat number.

Yes yes, I know. Most of these situations can be(and I have) solved with proper coordination between players.

I feel it would greatly ease the pick-up-and-play aspect if you make it easier for everyone in a vehicle to know who is looking what direction, however.