Sunderer Spawn Shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Odamit, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Odamit

I see that it was briefly mentioned in the 8/5 updated notes, but has there been another thread or anything solid from the devs about how much damage the shield absorbs? Maybe something made before they shifted the vehicle thread that's still MIA? Or I just have can't find it because I'm that bad :p

Something was buggy tonight; using an AP VG trying to hit a sundy about 250 - 200m away and I wasn't getting a confirmed hit. I'm aware of the bug that a shot isn't counted if you automatically hold down fire after your first shot, but I waited until the cycle ended before firing again and still nothing. I wasn't close enough to see the shield glimmering effect if it's hit, or if it's only visible when it gets popped. Post patch bugs probably?

Assuming it's bugged, and still goes through at least 1 or 2 balance passes; I'm not exactly keen on this idea in general. I'm concerned that the overall strategy won't necessarily be to get players to focus fire a target, but overwhelming / overpop of a base where there's nothing else to shoot at but this sundy. If it's a large scale fight with a constant flow of players spawning at a sunderer, it doesn't take a good chunk of those players to spawn or switch to engineer and actively repair it through the barrage of damage. Especially now that splash damage for Libs and HE tank turrets was taken down a peg.

And for only 500 Certs to max out to reduce the regeneration delay down to 6 from 10 seconds, relative to 1000 for an EST, I'm not liking that either. That seems to be a pretty good bargain in comparison to the what 3 different abilities can do for half the price at max rank.

I did go to the VR and initially checked how much damage this thing could absorb, so far I've only experienced it with a culmination of tank mines and C4. It took 3 tank mines and 2 C4 to effectively kill it, in the VR it had the slightest sliver of health left and in actual combat it'd be dead.