[Suggestion] Remove the need for people to be standing on points

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Zaik, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Zaik

you've been working toward standardizing the cap time, however this still being in is the opposite of standardizing.

basically 6 people have to sit around and wait for however long while the rest of the platoon continues the fight. It's incredibly boring and probably when I've posted at least a third of my posts on the forums.

why leave this in?
  2. khai

so that you can influence the timer and feel like your actually doing something productive, it also gives the side that does not have the point an idea where at least some of the enemies are, pins down at least some the presumably winning side and allows for situations where if both sides have points but only one side is bothering to guard theirs they win.
  3. xen3000

How else do you want to have it work? Just flipping the points? I agree that a slow cap time that is not effected by influence would need some other factor effecting the speed of captures, but I am not sure how to maintain the standardized cap time and prevent ghost caps.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sumguy720

I feel like ghost caps will be prevented from the capture times being so long. Anyone can easily respond to a ghost cap before it finishes with this system. Makes me feel like people shouldn't have to stand on point any more. It would make attacking/defending more interesting because you would never know when you might run into the enemy and base assaults would need to be more organised. Once capping the attackers could fan out into more strategic positions, too.
  5. xen3000

Not requiring a players presence to capture would be obnoxious. Imagine the whack-a-mole... I am sure there is a better design option.
  6. Sumguy720

Well, that whack a mole would end up with the enemies making no progress unless they stayed and defended. I think they'd catch on after the first few failed attempts. Especially with the increased capture time, staying in the territory is more important. I don't think we need to incentivise players to stand around the capture pole.
  7. xen3000

I find both the act of ghost capping and whack-a-mole-ing (??) boring. I also find sitting around and waiting for a cap to flip boring. Both are poor designs. I hope a better design is implemented then either of those ideas.
  8. Laraso

One thing I enjoy doing is to enter the capture point room alone in a tower as my MAX. The capture point will display as having 0/2 people on it, enemies will casually walk into the room without knowing there are 6 shotguns waiting around that corner ready to blast their guts all over the wall.
  9. Sumguy720

Hopefully with this lattice system it will be easier for defenders to respond to an attack. Maybe with the number of adjacent bases limited it will be harder to find unoccupied bases where this would happen. Right now that's not the case, of course, but I think that's due to the test server having just started up.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic about how the lattice will affect battle flow. Maybe it could actually eliminate ghost capping under most circumstances? So maybe waiting for a cap will be more like fighting for a cap if we don't have the problem of having no resistance at a base (an artifact of there being too many connections between territories).
  10. ScrapyardBob

The better solution would be to work it like it currently is, the more people you have on points, the faster the base capture goes, up to some defined minimum. This would also tie in with the need to create more capture points (large facilities should all have 4 or 5 capture points) with larger point totals.

For instance, a tech plant should have:
    - 6/6 in the current location
    - 4/4 up on the roof with the turrets
    - 6/6 on the deck below the flight deck
    - two 4/4 points along the waist

In order to move the bar at all, you should be required to have at least 20% of the total points on the capture points. For a 24-point facility, this would mean you need to put at least 4 people (round down) on any of the 5 points. If the defenders also have people on points, then you should have to stack at least 4 more then the defender to move the bar.

In the case where you stack 24/24 on the points, you should be able to cut the timer in half (or even as much as 1/3).

Not enough people? The cap timer should move backwards (back towards the current owner).

- Prevents ghost capping, because you have to stack people on points
    - Large facilities require at least 4 players in order to ninja-cap it (smaller facilities would still only need 1 person)
    - The more you dominate the control points, the faster the bar moves
    - Defenders get a 4-person advantage

In addition, any capture point that has seen active contention (kills) nearby within the past 3 minutes should be handing out XP to the people who are willing to guard the point. Hand out XP every 6 seconds, normalized out to 3k-4k XP/hr.
  11. khai

Yep I hate when that happens I've taken to assuming there is an NC max around every corner anyway even when fighting VS but especially at the capture rooms. Added bonus pausing outside every door usually harmlessly sets off the proximity mine placed in the doorway and gives me a chance to look for BBs.
  12. xen3000

I too have high hopes for the new Lattice system. Maybe with it's inclusion ghost capping will be a thing of the past.

However, population disparities between continents will persist and with them I assume ghost capping will happen still. I can only imagine how additional continents will continue this trend.

The system you propose would require a substantial number of players per base, I simply don't see it working across multiple continents as it would be desired. The population on the average server would not be able to support this system except on the most popular of continents (Indar).

Perhaps a minimum number of people at the points to flip it to a specific side and no requirement for players to stay on point? I don't know, this is a rather difficult design issue.
  13. ScorpDK

the main issue I see with the the need of soldiers at the CCs is the somewhat ******** range of some of them. In one base you can be 25 meters away from the console, hiding in a bush, and still influence the point, while in another base you have to literally hug the damn CC and make the day for anyone who can throw an explosive at you.

They need to move the CCs or redesign the areas to give a larger capture radius with more tactical choices in terms of cover. So when you need 6 guys on a point, those 6 can each sit in different, defensible locations.
    But this ties in with what we said in other posts. Bases need more Infantry cover.
    • Up x 1
  14. Kon

on the PTS having people on points does nothing, it no longer factors in, i can forsee alot of spawn camping now
  15. Soundmonitor

Maybe they should put generators in all points in order to capture them instead of just standing around like and idiot, it can give the defenders a chance to come from behind to flank people... Infiltrators will be worth something...