Suggestion: Make the Cougar a Carbine Version of the SABR

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by WyrdHarper, Apr 4, 2014.

1. WyrdHarper

Right now the Cougar is in a sort of weird place, and it's one that I'm not sure is a good improvement to our carbine arsenal. At the moment it's less like a 167 damage TR Carbine, and more like a TR-Flavored NC carbine. I'd propose that the Cougar be altered to be a SABR-like Carbine, which brings in a 167 damage carbine to the TR in a way that matches an already-established precedent for a very TR-like weapon.

First, let's look at the stats. Green indicates identical traits, while yellow marks indicates traits that are generally different between Carbines and AR's, and red indicates traits that don't match between the two weapons.

Cougar:
    ROF: 632 RPM
    Damage: 167/10m/112/60m
    Muzzle Velocity: 470m/s
    Reload: 2.91/2.1s
    Ammo: 30/180
    Hip Accuracy: 1/1.5/1.5/2/0.12
    Aim Accuracy: 0.03/0.02/0.03/0.06
    Fire Mode: Auto/2x Burst/Semi-Auto

Scopes: 1x/HSNV/3.4x/4x
    Barrel: Flash Suppressor/Suppressor
    Rail: ALS/Darklight/Forward Grip
    Ammo: SPA
    Buttstock: None

SABR-13:
    Chamber Time: 0.5355
    Damage: 167/10m/143/75m
    Muzzle Velocity: 600m/s
    Reload: 3.25/2.66s
    Ammo: 30/180
    Hip Accuracy: 1.5/2/2/2.5/0.12
    Aim Accuracy: 0.03/0.02/0.03/0.06
    Fire Mode: 2x Burst/Semi-Auto

Scopes: 1x/HSNV/3.4x/4x
    Barrel: Flash Suppressor/Suppressor
    Rail: ALS/Darklight/Forward Grip
    Ammo: SPA
    Buttstock: Heck Yes

So, to start with, it looks like from the stats that the two weapons share a lot of their stats, and that the Cougar is already set up as a SABR-like carbine. It has similar ammo pool, damage, and aimed accuracy, but has the better hipfire and reload and inferior ranged capability of a carbine. The big difference is the attachments, as well as FSRM--while I don't know numbers on the Cougar, it is clearly pretty high (and not the wonderful negative FSRM of the SABR).

The big difference is in attachments--so what you end up having is something vaguely SABR-like, but with the attachments of the TAR/Jaguar/Lynx, which ends up being a weapon that seems like it's trying to fit way too many roles at once without really doing of them particularly well. At the same time, the weapon has a lot of potential, and I think with some slight adjustments it could be made fairly unique and entirely TR.

Suggestions:

1) Take out the full auto mode, so that it's a dedicated 2x burst carbine, much like the SABR AR.

2) Give the Cougar the same attachment set as the SABR

3) Give the Cougar a negative FSRM like the SABR

4) Make the Long Reload of the Cougar longer than the long reload of the SABR, while keeping hte short reload the same.

...and that's it. By making these changes, the Cougar/SABR differences match up with the T5B/T1B difference model, so the Carbine/AR difference is satisfied. By doing this, you give the TR a carbine that fits a new role, while still being distincly TR and having a distinct role.
    • Up x 2
  2. xArchAngelx

Umm...no...hell no...

I don't want another burst fire weapon..if you want it like the SABR...then you switch it to 2x burst mode and let us keep our Fully auto.
  3. WyrdHarper

At the time of this writing, we have a hell of a lot more full auto weapons than burst-fires. Even if you maintain full auto as an option, the weapon is still incredibly schizophrenic in its intended role.
    • Up x 4
  4. Cinnamon

This is faction balance the wrong way. Every new TR weapon has to be burst or spin up. Ever NC weapon a shotgun. Every VS weapon a PPA. No thanks.
  5. TheBand1t

It makes more sense than the current frankenstein CQC carbine which no one asked for - You already have the Lynx and Jag to cover your CQC needs

Every TR I know wants a midrange, 167 damage weapon. Making it a smaller SABR-13 (With the Carbine dropoff to 125 at max range and 560 m/s velocity) is probably the best way to do it and gives it a clearly defined role in the TR carbine lineup.
    • Up x 3
  6. RIctavius

No..... stuck semi -auto status... no. no. just no.
  7. Paperlamp

Why not make the TRAC-5 burst into a carbine version of the SABR? Practically nobody uses it in its current state.

I'd say T5 AMC could get a revamp too, a bunch of weirdos would argue about it but there's no reason it wouldn't be better off as a Pulsar C/Compact S-style 167 damage/ 577 RoF weapon. But without the bad recoil decrease value of the Pulsar C which I will never shut up about BTW.

With the above changes + new Lynx and the Cougar TR would end up going from worst carbine diversity to best. NC and VS of course get get a similar treatment since no it's not fair for one faction to have the best diversity.

The one good thing I can see with the new weapons though is they're going off the rigidly formulaic templates they had for guns. New RoF values for 167 damage, new RoF value entirely, weird damage drop-off values. It's promising that they're branching out. This still doesn't give TR a good mid-range gun however so I will remain disgruntled.
  8. WyrdHarper

The T5 Burst is an amazing gun that just melts enemies. It's a 3x burst, so it fills a different role from the SABR, I was also looking the the CyclerT1B as compared to the SABR13 when making this suggestion. The T5 AMC is also fine--it's one of the best TR carbines, and having fast reload for a 40 round mag while still being accurate allows you to really keep focusing down enemies. The Cougar should be filling the mid-long range role in a different way so that those who dislike the T5 AMC have an alternate choice with a different playstyle.
  9. Paperlamp

T5 burst is a terrible burst weapon. It is more accurate on standing targets than most TR carbines but 3x burst without a low FSM makes it useless against enemies using cover. That plus the same recoil angle of the TRAC-5 which just doesn't work well with a burst weapon that you can't simply drag to counter with. I like a gun I nail people in the face with, which is why I'd rather use an automatic I can control than use most burst weapons. The SABR is exceptional because it can group both shots in the head up to decent ranges due to its uniquely low FSM, and the advanced forward grip reduces its recoil angle enough that it doesn't throw bullets off to the side of the target. I'd still rather have a Merc clone than a carbinized SABR though, just because click spamming burst fire gets annoying at closer ranges.
  10. WyrdHarper

It has a lower FSRM than the 2x burst on the Cougar. I just did some quick tests on VR, and with a 70m target, the T5B killed targest nearly twice as fast as the Cougar's 2x burst, despite having lower damage, primarily because it kicked so much less. The T5B takes some practice, but it's an exceptional carbine, and it's by far one of my favorites for longer ranges. If I want to fight close range I'm not going to take a long range carbine (although the T5B also does that pretty well in my experience, since it's pretty easy to make 2-3 headshots with each burst at close range), I'll take one of the other THREE superior TR options, or any SMG, or any shotgun. We're not suffering from a lack of close-range carbines.
  11. iPlague

I am 100 % against this. The SABR works because it's an assault rifle, thus not dropping 1-2 tiers in it's damage over long range, you might as well just use the Trac-5 Burst instead! Heck give the TRAC-5 Burst HVA and BOOM, there's your suggestion!

No. Make the Cougar something else, it's current form is bollocks, and TR is in need to have it's long range weapon gab filled. The T5 Does a good job as a mid range weapon with it's 653 ROF, but with it's .20-.20 horizontal recoil it just can't deliver, with it's 143 damage, at long range.

Hence why the 163 Carbine by all means should be SOMETHING like the Razor GD-23, controllable, accurate, and still maintain the TR faction trait of the 10+ in magazine size. This weapon would fill out the Gab nicely, however DPS wise it'll still be out classes by the Pulsar C, which has a bit more fire rate.