[Suggestion] infiltrators dmg mbt

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by itechen2, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itechen2

As the title says the infiltrator has no inherent ways to damage armored vehicles. That to me just feels wrong. You play around with the class and sooner or later you are faced with the harsh truth that you have no choice but to run and hide when you see anything armor coming your way. Then there is the occasion where you happen to come across an un manned vehicle be it a grounded galaxy or whatever and you think gee wouldn't it be nice if i could blow this thing up, oh wait, im an infiltrator if i want to do that i have to redeploy or find a terminal nearby. How lame is that.? Im here to tell you its very lame as if ya didn't know already, and what was SOE thinking to exclude this class from all the others in this way. Now im not saying give infiltrators access to c4 but a simple anti vehicle grenade would do just fine, something, anything.. Really I've had it.
  2. Archiadus

If you want to damage an armored vehicle as an Infiltrator go find and hack a base gun / equip the crossbow with explosive darts. :)
    • Up x 3
  3. Archiadus

4. z1967

Your counter is vehicle in general. Loadout choice is one of the things the game got mostly right. You can't give good AV options to a class that turns invisible. That is asking, no, begging for a balance disaster. The crossbow is good enough for me. Run with ammo bandolier and vulture dying vehicles. Very good certs very quickly. Stalker cloak will make it harder to find you once you have started to make a presence.

Pull an LA with C4. Very efficient at killing vehicles if you are competent enough to do it. Requires 700 certs to be sunk into the class but I would say they are well worth the cost. Max out your jetpack after the C4 (since you will be planning to use the class for its C4).
    • Up x 1
  5. itechen2

Riiight. Because no one ever thought of switching classes or pulling a vehicle before:rolleyes:

Do you not understand what the word 'inherent' means?
    • Up x 2
  6. FateJH

inherent
    in·her·ent
    /inˈhirənt,inˈherənt/
    adjective
    adjective: inherent
    existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute.

That means that only the Heavy Assault and MAX classes have inherent anti-Vehicular capability. Engineers and any class that can equip C4 have ancillary anti-Vehicular capability because they do not come with said weaponry by default. Infiltrators have suboptimal anti-Vehicular equipment.
    • Up x 6
  7. itechen2

Oh comon, giving infiltrator 1 anti vehicle grenade and the sky is falling. Wow, you are too much. And again you suggest hiding as if i do some how forgot i can cloak. Even with grenade bandolier it still takes 4 perfectly place to destroy 1 stock harasser, not to mention one with composite armor. At the same the guy operating one will now consider infil might be packing and want to steer clear if he's already damaged. Not to mention the point i brought up already that both of you conveniently ignore, and when there is no terminal to pull a vehicle from or switch classes, nearby, as in you're on foot trying to get to higher ground (or whatever the case is) for a sniper spot and you stumble onto an unmanned vehicle left behind or worse yet a lightning trying to run you down, i could do more damage if i sneeze. That reminds more, i hadn't thought of explosive bolts but then again i did say 'inherent' and crossbow is available to all classes, never the less that thing is freakin useless. Im sorry but it is, and i sure as hell won't be spending 1,000 or sc on such a niche gun and an even more useless ammo type. Considering there is suppose to be ah incoming health buff to mbt's i say to you.... goodluck with that.
  8. itechen2

Correct.
    I used the word inherent to really drive the point home that infils should have access to some weaponry in their loadout that damages armor, not (talking about buying a vehicle) and still some people don't get it. Are you really here to argue what inherent means and how that applies to planetside 2 or do you have something meaningful to add.
  9. ColonelChingles

I think that point was that players (not necessarily Infiltrators) have access to AV options (in the form of infantry, ground vehicles, or air vehicles). Therefore all players have an inherent AV ability.

Choosing to play as an Infiltrator and thinking that you have no inherent AV ability forgets the fact that you do not have to be an Infiltrator. An analogous example would be a Heavy Assault who refuses to use anything else but his LMG and then complains that he has no AV capability. He does indeed have access to an AV ability... he simply chooses not to use it. Same as an Infiltrator who chooses not to redeploy and become a Heavy Assault. Or an infantry player who refuses to pull vehicles.

Besides, Infiltrators do have access to the explosive crossbow, which can do direct damage to even MBTs. Seems like an AV capability to me.
    • Up x 6
  10. Auzor

Infiltrator has excellent AV ability.
    How?
    Fury flash, and one optional friendly rocketeer.
    Cost: 50 nanites.

IMO current wraith cloak flash can actually be a bit OP. (stealth+current cloak.. invisibru beyong 25m)

One brick of C4 costs more than a fury flash with some 40+ grenades.
    One AV grenade costs the same.

Lastly, afaik, there is still the serious possibility that the AV "sniper rifle" will be granted to infiltrators too.

Let's suppose stalker dude gets AV grenade.
    Gather 4 friends, run cloaked to mbt butt, uncloak & throw. Tadaa, tank dead.
    Add to that only selecting "wounded" vehicles, and the explosive crossbow, possibly the AV rifle and.. Nope.
    Nope Nope Nope.
  11. Disconsented

Why must every class have some AV?
    • Up x 2
  12. Vaphell

why not? V is everywhere, not having AV is a serious drawback and it's not like you get untold powers for that sacrifice. You could as well ask why must every class/vehicle have some AI?
  13. stalkish

At any given moment on auraxis, i can 100% guarantee there are more infantry avatars running around then vehicle avatars, id be extremely shocked to find out otherwise.
    So you've answered you own question there really.
  14. CNR4806

Let thermal light up cloaked infiltrators like Christmas trees and we'll talk

Oh wait, we still won't. DBG hasn't delievered its promised infantry AV nerf yet.

Oh WAIT even more. You already have what you're asking for in the form of the explosive crossbow and a crap ton of unattended Spear Phalanx turrets littering Auraxis, so the entire premise of the thread is false.
    • Up x 1
  15. stalkish

I wish i could smell this post, i wonder how fresh it would smell.
    Im a little bit tired of hearing comlaints from the types of players you just described.
    Its a combined arms game, learn the other arm FFS.

Thumbs up :cool:
    • Up x 1
  16. Vaphell

and? A vehicle larger than a flash is way more troublesome than a single peasant and i don't see how that answers the question 'why not?' in any meaningful way.
    In a game where you can easily see 30 vehicles in 1 spot (fyi just yesterday i counted allied mech approaching quartz ridge, there were 30 sundies, lightnings, mbts and harassers on my minimap) not having AV is a serious drawback, period. Things go great, suddenly someone pulls something and you are stopped dead in your tracks - great flexibility you got there. And that's before you consider the fact that the infiltrator/sabouteur class that can't sabotage for **** doesn't make a shred of sense.

funny, because apparently it's the tankers who expect to be left alone without the infantry screen while they farm. If you were under a significant risk of being gibbed by an invisible ghost a-hole, then maybe you'd care enough to have your own infiltrators to drop defensive maphacks and some peasants to shot the saboteurs to keep the area clear. Combined arms my ***.
  17. stalkish

Why is 30 tanks surrounding quartze ridge a problem, they cant sit on the point and cap, they cant even get into the base.
    Did you count the number of infantry players within quartze, or how many friendly infantry were attacking?
    My point was:
    The most numerous part of this game is infantry, thats why everything can threaten them.
    Less numerous are ground vehicles, so less things can threaten them.
    Even less numerous are aircraft (unless miller VS lock indar lol), even less can threaten them.
    Its just the way my mind makes sense of it.

Im all for vehicle hacking completely agree, had it in PS1, need it in PS2, we also need jammers and mine fields, but thats another story.
  18. Apples

As an infiltrator why are you having such high difficulty with armor? It's not your job to deal with them as a stealther. You should be stealthing and letting them pass or stealthing and getting past them. Your job is to take out those who would take out your anti-armor or to scout ahead and spot the armor for the rest of the squad/platoon/general people in your area. Infiltrators are for sneaking past for intel, finite target removal, or breaking up the enemy line from behind so the main group can push forward. The infiltrator's job is not and should never be to take on armored vehicles. At best you should be sneaking up to a sunderer and taking out spawning infantry as anti-armor classes move in and place/fire AV upon it.

The point of having different classes is to provide specific roles and playstyles in order to create a diverse battlefield and gameplay choice for players. One hour I might feel like playing a medic, the next hour or situation may lean toward infiltrator or heavy assault. What keeps this game interesting is having to change classes and play styles to meet situational needs or simply to play differently for the fun of it.
  19. gartho33

Infil is likely the bets "AV" option if used right...
    Retreating tank = exposed engy = oppertuinty to shut down tank operation = AV infil
  20. Vaphell

Just because these 30 vehicles can't park around the spawn at Quartz doesn't mean they can't in other places. Do I have to remind you that an assload of bases is actually built in literal holes in the ground? Off the top of my head, from yesterday's session: Western Highland Checkpoint is located in a valley that is surrounded by high ground from 3 directions and there were lots of magriders there. Most towers have some convenient parking lot on the level of the top floor - which goes against the very concept of the tower - just ask Xroads or Saerro LP.

Ever been inside a sieged base during the dark times of pixel perfect PPAs with a magrider on every elevated piece of rock? You could have infinite numbers of peasants there and still lose.

this ignores one crucial problem - coherence in a game played by random people is not the same as coherence of IRL military units with all-arounder setup and expecting pro coordination is simply stupid. It's a f2p game with 0 barriers of entry.
    That means that coordinating a countermeasure with peons is orders of magnitude harder than what a bunch of soloers in a armored or sky skillcharriots, who happen to occupy the same space at the same point in time, have to do.
    Sure you can scream combined arms till you are red in the face, but at the end of the day this game is about every man for himself. My certs, my auraxiums, my unlocks, my directives. If this game was about getting the job done, there would be no xp ka-ching flashing on your screen for every meaningless peasant kill in a hours long meatgrinder.

If i as an infil drop darts full time for the greater good, i get pity xp and nothing toward my auraxiums, while the leet mlgzors who couldn't care less about the unmanly support rake in fat certs. If i change to HA to get the lockon to shoo away ESFs, i land maybe 10 hits in 10 minutes with a pity aa xp and 1 ribbon... and if i do that, there is no spotter around and it gets even worse.

You would be in the right if this game was like EVE where literally EVERYTHING is up to the players, where there is no ME, there is US and the state of affairs is purely emergent.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.