[Suggestion]How to make engi more popular?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TRminator, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TRminator

Hello,
    If any of You tried to play as a MAX recently in his casual infantry gameplay, propably noticed that most of the time you end up screaming for repairs for 3 minutes untill some kind soul comes to help. It seems quite obvious, that simply too fewer players pick this class, when it comes to infantry play(like me for egzample). Here are some ideas, that might make enginierre, a more desireed class to pick, that me and few of my friends came up with recently:

1. Let engi pick any secondary weapon he likes.
    That means not only pistols would be a secondary oprion for engi. Imagine having an ability to carry a carbine and Archer "anti-max" rifle for egz. It wouldmake engi more flexible on the battlefield, letting him cover multiple ranges of encouter. It would have a price tho - you cant draw a battle rifle, or a shotgun, as fast as a pistol, so if you run out of ammo on your other weapon you might find yourself in a tight spot.

2. Let engi carry the spitfire turret adidtionally to AV or AI mana-turret.
    It is already possible, to have both of these things deployed, but it requires a visit to a terminal. So why not make it easier to use, and give the engineere an ability to carry an AV or AI turret and still be able to deploy the spitfire turret.

3. Let engi carry more than one type of consumables.
    Ability to equip two types of explosives or a madical kit and an explosive, would make the class more flexible on the battlefield- isn't engi all about flexibility? I do realize this one may be a bit overpowered, after all it might come to a situation, when we would start to trip over explosives everywhere we go. One thing that might help with that, is making this ability the last stage of upgrading the utility poach, so that players woudl have to choose it over flak armor for egz., but also woudl cost them 1k certs to unlock.

Hope you like these ideas, and that Dev's do too.
    P.S. Sorry for my English, hope i made myself understandable enough.
    • Up x 1
  2. Eternaloptimist

I love engineer - its my main class. I can see OPs point about not enough of us as I have Maxes queuing up to be reparired nearly every time I play. I find the class so versatile that I cannot understand why more people don't play it tbh.

Whilst I have nothing againstt the other OP suggestions, I'm not sure whether people are actually put off playing engie or if it is just that the HA is so macho that they gravitate towards that class instead.
    • Up x 1
  3. Armcross

Players have different play style. Get your self nanite auto-repair.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nehlis

squad up, get a friend to be engie for you.
    As for why people don't typically engie too often, the closest comparisons are LA and medic. Medic has access to assault rifles and self heals while LA gets extreme mobility. There's usually little reason to pick engie when it doesn't have anything really special going for it (Turrets, AI and AV mines are typically defensive in use, ammo packs are 1 size fit all and most people do not want to be a pocket healer). Outside of vehicles, squadplay or base defense I usually don't run engie too often.
  5. Inu

I agree to spitfire changes. It's useful but seriously needs some QoL updates to it.
  6. IroncladBomber

Oh god, the thought of Carrying C4 and Tank Mines with my Utility Pouch. The destruction I could cause.
    • Up x 1
  7. OldMaster80

Hi.
    Imho what our beloved class needs at the moment:
    1) Spitfire needing to be resupplied all the time is real crap. Either they give it a cooldown like other turrets, or it needs to be affected by the Utility Pouch. I want to be able to drop it 2, 3, 4 times before being forced to go back to the equipment terminal.
    Everyone knows this is a problem, we've been telling this since when the Spitfire was on Test Server. Even developers know. But I'm afraid they will let us wait for years like they did with the Valkyrie safe drop.

2) The Archer does not justify to give up a primary weapon. You basically trade your offensive potential for what? For the ability to kill a Max at very long range? It's not worth the certs. They say it's a weapon for "support heroes" but imho that's just nice words to say it is real ****. Holy **** it takes 36 hits to destroy a simple Lightning! Why should anyone use this when the game is full of HA carrying rocket launchers?!
    This should be moved in the turrets slot to make more sense.
  8. FeralBoy

I see plenty of engineers and don't feel it's an underplayed class. My own .02 is that any engineer not smart enough or too selfish to repair or drop ammo to gain easy certs is likely to be just as clueless or selfish on any other class they play. That's the individual player, not the class.

I do like your mention of being able to deploy Spitfires in addition to either an AI or AV mana turret from 1 loadout though. Once again I feel original Planetside had a much better option with the ACE, that had at least 4 different deployable variants you could pre-select each time before dropping one.

As a prior poster recommended you could use fully tricked out Nanite Auto Repair on your MAX. You are of course much more vulnerable to C4, but in my personal experience you can certainly stay in the fight much longer and get more kills over time than you'll ever get C4ed.

Good luck, and may the certs be with you.
  9. Shmackery21

10. Shmackery21

There's an simpler solution to all this trouble. Maybe you could man up and not play ez-mode, a.k.a. max. I know that's a treasonous and insane thought. Not p-p-play maxxx????? But. But. Withdrawal....

Try it, you might find it works. :)

Also, If you don't like my salt, listen to FeralBoy above me cuz he's a respectable player who's been around for while and knows what he's talking about.
  11. Verceterix

As someone who mains engineer, i can tell you why nobody plays it --

Spitfire turret is terrible
    Both of the other turrets are sniper fodder.
    Archer is terrible, not worth a primary weapon slot
    Most carbines just aren't very good when compared to assault rifles. They're ok for LA because of the ability to flank, but head to head, carbines are weak, especially considering 90% of your fights are against HA zergs.

Still my favorite class and the only thing I really play aside from Medic when needed.
    • Up x 2
  12. OldMaster80

At least the 2 turrets have a reason to exist. Once deployed properly they work, they are effective at doing their job, and you use them as cover.
    But the Spitfire is garbage.
    And the Archer yeah it's not bad but it's not worth the certs and giving up a primary weapon.
  13. Cymoril

HEH I was thinking of not playing cheesy mode Heavy. That's basically a max with better mobility. Max isn't what it used to be right out of open beta. If you want a challenge play engineer and go up against Heavys with all the IWIN toys that doesn't seem to get nerf'd too badly. All Heavies live on their shield button followed up with their self heal maxes can't and are slower and cost 450 to pull. Heavy's don't cost anything but should or a "rebalancing" needs to happen.

If you spec the repair for the max at 5, you still get ripped up quicker than if u just stayed kinetic or Flak. The repair option is very misleading and seems to have less of a resistance to all weapons than the other 2. So, basically the repair armor suit is good for afking in the spawn room while you slowly heal up only to have some chodebag c4 from your own team (that's how TR rolls- HMRD on Connery and my 2 favorite people on Emerald) So the repair suit is for the most part worthless yet the repair tool for the heavy isn't. Maybe they should make the MAXs Heal suit be a mod that you can equip instead similar to the heal tool that heavies get ? Then that might even the current playing field a bit.

As far as balance the one thing that is really ridiculous that maxes get currently seems to be the Ageis shield from NC. It should absorb so much then go into a cooldown, or he should be rooted and not be able to move when its out and have a wide angle from behind to be killed easier.
  14. Cymoril

I finally got gold with my spitfire. You are very correct, it was a complete waste of 6 bucks for another fail item SOE/DB scammed out of my wallet. This I believe is why people aren't investing in items or subs as much now a days. The new content released was sub par and people are holding on to their money due to being burned in the past.

Mana turrets seem to be in consistent for damage (the receiving end). I've had 1 tickle my tank and what looked like 1 hit for half its health. I feel to fix/educate this type of situation a combat log that shows peoples names/items you were hit with and the damage received would help in better understanding. The server already tracks it to kill you, why shouldn't they allow another tab for people to check the damage received ? It might slow down on all the appeals people put in for alleged cheating when they see 5 people fired a mana turret that hit and kill you but in the vehicle you only see 1 animation. This is where the combat log would shine.

Carbines- your exactly right.
  15. Azawarau

As someone who mains engie i think weve already have enough options

As someone who plays max more than any class but engie

Nanite auto repair is amazing for solo max suiting. Just use it to stop and heal then switch back to armor

As for adding option

Im not against it as long as things are balanced
  16. zaqmaster

they need to make that other player (excluded MAX) can use the engineer turret.
    the owner will be able take back the control over other player and
    have a confirmation prompt if the turret is used be another player when you want to move it.
    • Up x 1
  17. NubCannon

Nanite auto-repair is unnecessary now #FIRE SUPPRESSION MAX!
    I guess you could still use nanite auto-repair, but i think Flak armor is much more viable thanks to the ungodly number of heavy assault players