[suggestion] Headshots and respawns...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hellhammer, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Hellhammer

For some, it might be an easy task, for others, not so much, but my suggestion would be that if a person dies from a head-shot, they can't be revived.

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but it gives the class a tactical value (head-shot Medics or Engies) other than hacking terminals, counter-sniping, and recon darts (scout radar is far better).

The "sniper" function will actually serve a meaningful purpose other than long range killing in battles.
    • Up x 5
  2. Nyscha

I think that sort of ability should be reserved for the really high tier bolt actions though.
    Parallax, Longshot etc.
  3. AnotherNoob

Would be interesting to see how this would play out, rewarding head shots more would certainly increase the "skill ceiling" for infantry players as well as adding incentive to play infiltrator.
  4. Dr. Euthanasia

Yeah, I've suggested this before. Definitely just for sniper rifles, though. The point is to give snipers a lasting contribution to the battle, not to nerf medics by providing every player a way to deny them revivals through relatively small corrections in their own gameplay.
    • Up x 2
  5. Ztiller

I never really understood why. No other weapon does this when headshotted. What's so special about the Sniper that should force people to respawn instead of getting revived? Why is killing someone with a Sniper less beneficial than killing the same person with a Machinegun?
    • Up x 1
  6. haldolium

Because it is, in comparison, hard to Snipers to do their job. If they miss, you're aware of them and can easily avoid any further hit, hell even snipe them away with any ordinary weapon... who cares? Plenty of ammo around while they have to sit still and aim carefully.

And even if they hit and you have Nanoweave, tough luck for them.

Overall I would say this could be a nice addition to the battlefield.
  7. Ztiller

Hard? Snipers usually sit long outside of enemy range, picking off targets who usually have no means to fight back.
    • Up x 1
  8. RecklessTalent

i like the idea but the only problem i see is that if you head shot someone and they actually die" thanks nano weave 5" and a medic comes over and trys to revive them you now have a chance to take 2 people out of the fight instead of one.
  9. haldolium

That is definitively not my experience. Usually they're, if they are aware of their role and not just some BR10 trying out the classes for the first time, on the border of the battlefield, often on tower tops where they droppodded and the hit indicator alone then gives away their location...

There are barely times I get killed by a sniper if I do not provoke it, like standing behind a turret. Not seldom they even mingle with the crowd hoping to get the OHK while the enemy is focused on the more immediate targets like MAXes...
    Depends of course a bit on the location, down at the SW-warpgate on Indar there are more elevated places where you barely can counter them from down below, though thats about it pretty much.

So "usually" that is really not what snipers do in my experience. Not to mention that you're ****** by render distance if you are too far away.
  10. Khyrin

Maybe make Sniper, Scout and Battle Rifles the only weapons able to headshot at all, would give some incentive to actually use them, and a slight buff to the still not really useful BRs.
  11. Dr. Euthanasia

Is this an argument for realism or against gameplay?

If it's for realism, then we need a better idea about how medics revive people to claim what should and should not prevent them from doing so. Sniper rounds to the head are far more destructive than a single bullet from a machine gun, so the most realistic solution would be preventing revivals on targets who die to damage sources beyond a certain threshold. If a shot which killed you would have done 900 damage, chances are there isn't much left of your head to piece back together.

...None of that matters, however, because this suggestion wasn't made with realism in mind. It was made because snipers have a difficult time making a lasting impact on enemy forces when medics can revive their allies an infinite number of times, and while moving or behind cover at that. Given the difficulty in eliminating the source of these revivals and the relative difficulty of making headshots compared to reviving headshot victims, there's a pretty obvious discrepancy that needs to be addressed here. Since no other role suffers from the same problem, they don't need a counter to revivals. Hence, snipers only.
    • Up x 2
  12. BloodyPuma

Dr. Euthanasia got a good point.

Realism cannot even be mentioned in game feautering:

-nanites
    -revives
    -such level of TTK
    -calling "sniping" of the shots done in 1-300 meters

Its abstraction.

I would really like to see more benefits for OHK. Maybe longer respawn, maybe "no-revive", maybe great revive penalty, maybe bigger % bonus to kill or a mixture. There is [across all servers]:

One person with over 30k OHK
    One person with over 20k OHK
    Limited Few persons with over 10k OHK

...and bazilion of beginners snipers which will quit sniping after 5 minutes. Some reward to revitalize class might by good. Nothing OP, just a flavour.