Suggestion Further Amerish interbase terrain and features

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Puredeathnight, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Puredeathnight

Note: This is going to be mostly a wall of text of me attempting to put into words my ideas until I can make some images and the first paragraph maybe a little ranty

When you get on to Planetside 2 where do you fight? I would imagine most would tell me a base or a type of base (ie. Biolab) this type of answer probably wouldn't bother you at all, I mean that's where all the fighting is at why else would you fight between the bases, there is nothing there to fight over or even a reason valid reason that offsets the risks from trying to stop the enemy's advancing forces on a road with very little cover or obstructions. Why not use the space between bases as an area to soften the approaching force before they get to your actual base, (i haven't researched this in depth but) why would a military ever allow all of the fighting to also exclusively occur not at the door step of there base but inside of it, most of the fighting occurs between bases fighting to gain ground to finally get to the enemy base and capture it. Had something changed between now and the time where PS2 takes place involving changing only tactics and polices involving conflict in the area between bases and keeping all the other tactics known valid. This should be fixed to improve the flow of forces and allow for less down time between fights for those that don't like the down time they get from driving the the base they just captured right up to the gate of the next base quite often with out any more resistance than climbing up the hill takes.

It appears as tho I got a little rant-y but there need to be more in-between each base to make if feel like it really is one continuous battle instead of matches played at once on a shared map.

Introduction of more cover for infantry in the use of terrain small buildings with maybe just a terminal or two at them (no cap, no spawn these are not bases) could possibly encourage fighting in between bases trying to stop an attack before your moved back to your base. There is allot of great looking terrain and features between bases but these are ignored by the players on there flash racing through to get to the next base where the fighting is. If the terrain between bases was denser on Amerish (depending on the area) with say trees for cover players could actually fight there and see the terrain.

I honestly am not sure who all they have working on revamping and making maps but i feels like they only have base designers working on the map, making really good bases witch is what there good at doing and then trying to make some filler stuff in between bases that has some nice looking features once and a while but may not be what there good at. Adding someone just to make fun terrain between bases to fight at and make the bases as a whole feel more connected would further make the game unique and fun to play, and show that SOE has taking traditional FPS (and most games in general) and thrown it out in respects to battle size and the notion of battles and matches ending.

Here are some possible features that could be added in between bases on Amerish:
    • Trees to form forests (not jungles/ swamp like Hossin)
    • Rivers or lakes actually along routes that seem to server a purpose between bases
    • Small buildings (like one or 2 rooms)
    • Ruins of the accent Vanu race
    • Abandoned or ghost bases (or ruins of such)
    • Ship debris from the ships that where blown up from attacks of the NC (and possible the remaining ones that later got destroyed but aren't mentioned as being such from the war breaking out)
    • Farms (ie. a tree farm or grove for harvesting native foods) or does all of Continents get there food from a small gardening patch on Amerish?
    • Forward Watch towers
    Some of these would require new models not already in game others do not require anything new other than there placement. Again I will add some concept images of what I am talking about once I sketch them up.
    • Up x 3
  2. libbmaster

I think I speak for all of forumside when I say:

Remove most of the bases so you can make fights in between more epic, and the remaining bases bigger and more unique.
    • Up x 3
  3. doombro

You certainly speak for me.

Every once in a while I'll see defenders holding a wall until the last man, and once the attackers are burnt out, the defenders will sally forth and charge across the open field to take the fight to them. Those things are what really bring the game to life, and it doesn't happen nearly enough.

The 200 meter distance between the average base only leaves the role of spawn room farmer for dedicated tankers.
    • Up x 2
  4. Puredeathnight

many are farther than 200m (more in the 350-500m range) really making it more favorable for infantry combat between some bases and having to fight even 200m would make it seem allot farther than it feels now, where you jump on a flash and are at the next fight in less than a min
    • Up x 1