Suggestion: Construction Improvements + ANT Upgrades

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wolfborne, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Wolfborne

I do a lot of construction in PS2 (have everything unlocked) as I tend to build a F.O.B. for my squad/platoon to operate from. However, with the removal of hives a while back, construction comes with very few benefits now, despite costing a fortune to unlock the items. With countless hours of construction game play under my belt, here are some suggestions that will help improve that aspect of the game:

ANT Upgrades / Updates
    1. A base ANT can carry 8k cortium, and that can be expanded to 10k. Quite often you will come across 6k cortium veins, so, instead of leaving 2k in a vein after harvesting two of those, I'd like to see the storage capacity upgradeable to 12k. This can be accomplished in 8 steps with the following cost: 50, 100, 150, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000.

2. Allow a MAX to take up the two rear seats. If it can fit on the back of a Harasser, surely it can fit inside an ANT that can carry two passengers beyond the driver and gunner. I often employ an AA MAX to cover us while we are building, and it would be nice to be able to transport one around.

3. Make Turbo a base feature for the ANT. ESFs, Liberators and Harassers all have a similar feature. If a recharge system is too OP, then let it burn cortium at a steady 200 per second if it is used. That is not maxed out, but it does provide the ANT with the ability to traverse steep terrain while still having access to the all important Cloak or Scout Radar, depending on your mission.

Construct Upgrades / Updates
    1. Wall Capacity: allow for an upgrade to be able to use five walls instead of three. The cost can be 500 and 1000. That allows one person to be able to craft a more complete base, especially if they are a lone wolf, or, if they play during off hours when no one is around to help out.

2. Tower Selection: allow for a player to choose which three towers they want to use, even if it is three of the same type. If my only immediate threat is aircraft, then I'd like to be able to have three AA towers. That leaves the base vulnerable to infantry and armor attacks, if the enemy is hellbent on destroying my base.

3. Sky Shield Coverage: have the Skywall Shield cover down the sides (touching the tops of walls) in order to protect the tops of towers. As it stands right now, armor can shoot from extremely long range and destroy towers at will, without the risk of those AV towers firing back at them. Once the towers are down, they just hammer away at the walls and everything else, and there's NOTHING you can do about it.

Note: your own game tips mention sending in infantry to take out modules and spawn tubes, so, let that be the standard. If the enemy wants to take down a player made base, then they have to do more than just plink away from extreme range with armor. Boots on the ground!

4. Give the players the opportunity to inspect their construct placement before they permanently set it. Currently we can hit Ctrl F11 and see if it will fit, but we can't move around to look at all the angles. Change that so that by hitting Ctrl F11, the construct will temporarily stay in place and allow us to move around to inspect it. If we like the placement, then we hit Ctrl F11 again followed by E to make it permanent.

5. Orbital Strike placement is often a waste of time. If you are moving in support of an armor column (zerg), then the hex that they are trying to capture often gets taken before your OS can ever be used. Furthermore, the OS have to be 800m apart. Change the range to 600m for placement and max strike range, and allow the OS to charge up much faster so that it reaches max range in five minutes.

If the enemy does not like the fact that an OS is in their hex, then they need to take it out. Make the OS an actual tactical advantage instead of something that can be skipped. An enemy OS can be placed within 500m of the opposition's.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

Walls, I can understand.
    3 Tower per person, have a buddy, you have 6 automated turrets.
    An actual half-squad (6 people), You have 18 automated turrets. A full squad has 36 automated turrets.
    With just 2 people, you end up with 6 Turrets, which is quite a damn lot, for all of 2 people talking or working nearby.

Tank engages at distance, Skywall is anti-air.
    It also scrambles the shields of infantry (it used to straight murder), making entry a lot harder, if not near impossible.
    So the tanks engage the turrets, so infantry aren't under assault by the automated AI turrets.
    To take out a Lone tank Options:
    • Have a buddy repair the turret while you man it.
    • Have the buddy be in a tank.
    • Have a tank yourself.
    • Have allies, engage it.
    • Engage it as infantry.
    If your sky-shield, counters the ability of tanks to take out turrets at a distance, against your 1-man Lone-wolf PMB..
    With you doing nothing at all; Any practical Build-Team of even 2 people, will happily murder zergs.

Pre-placement Visual; That would be lovely.

An orbital strike blast every 5 minutes... from 1 single OSC PBM.
    Which can cleanse out entire lattice-bases of Maxes, Tanks, infantry, sunderers.
    So we can be spending endless time killing them, while a group of all of 2 can wipe out any attack repeatedly & easily.

Present Tactical advantage: An total base wipe \ reset, that you can time to take or re-take the base's points.

Your suggestion: Every 5 minutes, a joker on a hill wipes away an entire lattice base, with 1 gun, cleansing all allies & enemies.
    If he has any friends, they can casually get 5, and every single minute, everyone dies.
    Mean while, everyone else has to constantly assault an OS PMB scattered all around.
    It is not fun, to be nailed every 10-30 minutes by an OSC, let alone every 5 minutes.
    Let alone for every 450 Nanite max, Sunderer trying to do its job, or infantry not able to wall-hump.
    Nor your own allies, having to take cover from someone Nuking the entire base every 5 bloody minutes.

Turrets:
    Get a friend, you do not need to casually have every single turret solo, casually.
    As this means, when you build with others, in this team game, You each have 3 turrets.
    6 Turrets is a damn lot.
    36 is when someone actually works together in a squad with your system; Our current is 12 for an entire squad.

OSCs, do not need to be firing every 5 minutes.
    Do you specifically like bashing at walls, and scouring the Hex for every single PMB that inside 5 minutes, has profited hard, nuking the entire base.
    Whom every 5 minutes lose every sunderer, and anyone in the open, From their allies or Enemies with an OSC.
    The thing draws a lot of hate, for the literal reset constantly nuking everything around the spawn-room, and every sunderer.
    And you want it, from 1 single OSC, to be every 5 ******* minutes.
  3. strikearrow

Except for the pre-placement visual, PMBs need no buffs and the OS needs to be nerfed hard. Frankly until they remove unkillable routers exploits and invincible modules placed underground and numerous other exploits, PMBs should be completely disabled.
  4. Sky_collapsed BL

Disagree that the ants base storage should be increased. It's a bit annoying but just make extra trips. I would however say make another upgrade slot to the cort tank to increase it to 15k cort but make it cost 2,000 certs since 15k is pretty big.

I disagree that max's should be able to fit in the ant, hell i don't think they should be able to fit in the harasser myself. If you don't have the L100 Python AP or similar the ants are annoying little swines if they've got max's in it or something that can do more considerable damage than the ants current top mounted weps.

Turbo should probably be a base thing tho.

Absolutely agree on the walls tho, 3 is too little, 6 would be ideal.

I am split on the tower thing though, on one had as someone that has built a lot of PMBs I can certainly see the use for it but on the other hand as a part time flyer it would be insane if there were 3 or 6 AA towers, little alone if a squad got together and spammed them in than flyers would have to deal with Skyguard spam and spam coming from 6+ AA towers.

The sky sheild idea I am 50/50 on too. On one hand I have been on the receiving end of spam from 2 different prowelers on a hill spamming at me and I couldn't do **** apart from repair and watch the destruction so I can certainly agree with that but on the other hand it would potentially make bases too op and too defendable.

Perhaps there could be an artillery forward facing shield that absorbs the energy of the hits into a module that self damages itself in order to defend against it.

4th idea I can certainly agree with and i'll add to that it would be nice if you could compress in base objects closer. I've sometimes wanted to build a more compact base but as soon as you build an anti vehicle tower I couldn't place the anti air turret and anti person turret where I wanted to and the base got too big for what i wanted at the time.

I completely disagree with buffing orbital strike. those things are annoying as they are. The only buff I could agree with is removing the range of them entirely but increasing its charge time to like 15 to 20 minutes, maybe 30 minutes if you want it to be able to destroy vehicles otherwise as it currently is it is fine albeit a bit too op.
  5. Talthos

Personally, I only really get to use an OS if a frontline doesn't move very far, very quickly, or if it's devolved into an unmoving stalemate.

I would honestly prefer to see the maximum range limit and the exclusion radius of the OS increased by a bit (they seem far more viable in a defensive role, from what I've seen), while somewhat reducing the charge rate on the OS as a tradeoff, so that reaching the maximum range takes a little longer (and thus, gives more reasons to hold territories that have good terrain for construction).

That's just what I think, though.
  6. PlanetBound

35k should be the Ant limit.