[BUG] Suddenly unable to hear platoon mates in voice-chat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrMailan, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MrMailan

Hey everybody,

I'm still not sure if this is a bug or not, but I suddenly cannot hear my squad and platoon mates from voice chat, I can only see what they type in the usual chat.
    I've checked the settings and everything seems to be fine, I can even hear people around me with the proximity voice chat.
    I THINK, yet not 100% sure, it happend after I clicked the "SQUELCH OTHER CHANNELS" button
    at VOICE AND CHAT -> VOICE OPTIONS menus. Is this a bug? How do I fix this? And yeah, I tried closing the entire game and logging-in again. Still the same.

Help? thanks :)
  2. WeRelic

If you squelched other channels, then go back through the channels in the same menu you pressed the squelch button and set their volume back up.
    If you don't already know, squelching a channel means that you're muting it.

If you're just not seeing people's name pop up when they talk, its a bug...
    The most reliable way I've found to fix that, is to shut Voice completely down, wait a few seconds, then re-enable it.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

[Esc] -> Settings -> Voice -> Enable Voice
    Toggle that checkbox off then on again. Should do the trick.
  4. WeRelic

Thank you, couldn't think of the exact path.
  5. MrMailan

Hey, thanks both of you for the response.
    I tried to do that, disabling voice chat and re-enabling it. Unfortunatly, it did not work.
    I can see other player's names when they press their voice-chat buttons, but still can't hear them... ><
  6. FateJH

If you're seeing their names, the problem isn't your firewall, which was going to be my next suggestion. That you see their names indicates that you're getting their packets in he first place. All the same, the ports for voice chatting for Planetside 2 are 443 and 5062. You can create the exceptions if you want. (UDP-20040 through UDP-20199 are also important numbers, but that's a lot of ports.)

Okay, assuming all voice channels are individually muted, go to your UserOptions.ini file in the installation folder and check the [VoiceChat] options. All the options ending with "Enabled" should be set to 1 to be un-muted. Additionally, check that the "MaxVoices" under the [Sound] options is a decently number (mine is 65). Though I've never known MaxVoices to cut out comms. like it does background noise if set too low, I wouldn't put it past the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. WeRelic

You shouldn't have to mess around with ports at all.

[esc] > Social > Voice and Chat
    Click through the tabs at the top and see what their volume bar is set at...

I'm guessing that you squelched the other channels, and those volumes sliders will be all the way down. Bring those back up, and you should be good.
  8. MrMailan

The problem was the values who's names ended with "Volume". They were all set to 0.0000 so I assumed this was the issue.
    Wow, you actually CAN'T handle this with the in-game GUI. I really had to go to this file and manage it. I'd call this an in-game issue.
    I guess this what happend when I pressed the Squelch button...
    Anyway, thank you very much! My problem is fixed now. Cheers!

Thank for trying to help, I appreciate it! Nice weekend guys :)
  9. MahouFairy

I usually quit and restart the game.
  10. MrMailan

Next time, please read the ENTIRE post before replying to it. Thank! :)
  11. FateJH

Glad to be of help. :)
  12. 00000000000000000000

I get the exact opposite effect.

I leave a platoon because of inane babble and the VOICES KEEP ON GOING.

FIrst few times I thought I was going insane until I noticed the platoon talking marker lighting up despite me not being in their platoon/