Subtle hackery or extreme skill

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Teegeeack, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Teegeeack

Three times I cloaked and looked over the hill. Twice I changed position. Once I was running while cloaked. Three times I was headshotted by stock TR sniper rifle. Three separate occasions, but the same guy. His profile looks to be quite average, however. Be it with skill or hacks, I would expect it to be more impressive. So what do you think?
  2. tproter

Hard to say. But it's a moot point. After the recent SOE layoffs, there aren't many GMs left to patrol the servers and ban hackers (hence the rise in suspected hacking incidents as of late).
  3. AnnPerkins

stock tr sniper rifle is a semi-auto. Won't kill you in 1 hs no matter how hard you try.
  4. Teegeeack

It didn't. I was unable to heal.
  5. Earthman

One of the most overwhelming if subjective signs of cheating getting out of hand is when "extreme skill" starts to seem quite common and not so extreme, as it has been progressively over the last few weeks, especially during the event.
    • Up x 2
  6. Utrooperx

What I've noticed is the "C-o-F" seems to be shrinking...SMG's from 50+ meters nailing me instantly IS sort of noticeable...

I really wish the "You are Dead" screen gave a bit more information...like the distance from the shooter, shots fired, shots hit...I could be much more confident hitting the /report button on these really accurate shooters with (inaccurate-at-range) automatic weaponry...
    • Up x 3
  7. Earthman

I saw a tank-buster firing a straight line of shots directly at my liberator, head on.

Yep, "skill".
  8. Corporate Thug

I've always played on low settings since my start in January. I don't know how visible infiltrators are on higher settings, but back when they were highly visible on low I was able to snipe enemy infiltrators hundreds of meters out while they were cloaked just because of how easy they were to see. It is possible that he simply saw you, and if on Esamir, infiltrators stick out more for me.
  9. Astriania

If it's further away than about 20m then a cloaked infiltrator is pretty much invisible, including on low (I played on low to start with) so if he's shooting you before you decloak it's probably hax.

Yeah, particularly with lag and clientside hit detection that means you get 'instakilled' on your screen even with SMGs and CARVs and the like, it's pretty hard to tell if someone was cheating or not right now.
  10. Rogueghost

How many times did he miss you? 3 headshots in a row on a cloaked infiltrator is pretty suspicious, 3 headshots while missing 7 other times isn't.
  11. NinjaKirby

I've had so many eyebrow raising moments relating to this as well. It could be my complete lack of experience with the other Empire Weaponry, but it truly is amazing the tiny cone blasted out in swift succession by some enemies - where I tend to be left dumbfounded because I can never replicate such accuracy.
  12. Astriania

I was actually going to ask a question about that, whether playing with a relatively low frame rate (I get 20-30 in contested areas) is reducing my effective RoF somehow, because I can never drop as many shots on someone as I seem to receive. I am NC as well though ...
  13. Teegeeack

I'm not sure, but I was thinking maybe it was possible that there was some bug or something revealing me. Like sometimes when an infiltrator cloaks, his head and arm are still visible. If so, his third shot was a good one.
  14. Hoki

I've done this several times and I'm not the best sniper. If he saw the direction you were running before you cloaked, its perfectly legit imo. Basically if you're still running straight after you cloak, I still know where your head is going to be in .3 seconds.
    • Up x 2
  15. Teegeeack

Yes, I agree it can be done. But I make it a point not to leave cover without cloaking first and since I had already been hit by him twice, I was being extra cautious not to be seen.
    edit: but even if he did see me, it doesn't explain the first two headshots, where I looked out from cover in full cloak. From the distances we were firing, cloaked infiltrators were would have been invisible in the scope.
  16. Ghaleo

Were you the only target around? I remember one time defending indar excavation whilst NC was moving up from quartz ridge there were a bunch of targets. I'm terrible at sniping but decided to give it a go. I missed the mark I was aiming for but managed to get a headshot kill on a cloaked infil that was behind him. It was one of those ridiculously lucky shots. The guy threw a hackusation right then and there.

Although in your case three times might seem a bit fishy.
  17. -Synapse-

Genuine hackers are pretty rare. Very good\lucky players are much more probable.
  18. NinjaKirby

Wrel on YouTube covered this relatively recently, I can't remember which video exactly but he did address that Frame Rates in some circumstances can reduce your RoF. Probably this one, but my Internet isn't fast enough to really skim through this to confirm.
  19. ironeddie

I don't feel that it being a stock weapon is any indication of a hack. Stock weapons in this game ain't bad, if the shooter can aim, has some raw talent or skill gained from other fps games then I think it's perfectly believable.
  20. Lividicus!

Source?? I'd really like to know how you are 100% positive that genuine hackers are rare. Especially considering the thousands of people that have visited/downloaded the hack software. I haven't seen a ban wave in months, it's very likely that the amount of hackers in the game at the moment are more than you are willing to admit.

OP,

I enjoy sniping, A LOT. I now have the ability to shoot cloaked enemies after I first know their position. I get kills quite frequently against cloaked targets. However, Getting 3 headshots on a cloaked, moving target without first acquiring them or seeing their movement direction is near impossible. In the case of the OP I definitely would report. Just an hour ago I was at a tech plant and got dumped twice by the same guy at 100 meters with a Guass rifle. Every single shot was a headshot. The platoon leader also was kited by this guy. Needless to say, the whole platoon reported. Obvious hacking is obvious hacking, and turning a blind eye to it is completely naïve.

Bottom line, Hacking is turning into a problem in planetside 2. A year ago I remember seeing ban waves approximately once a month. Since there hasn't been one in a while it's only logical to assume the number of those using hacks have increased.