[BUG] Stuttering

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AtckAtck, Jun 20, 2018.

1. AtckAtck

Since the latest patch i have serious stuttering issues.
    It doesn't happen all the time, but is the cause off sudden "lag spikes", that cause instant deaths.
    Something is terribly wrong.

I noticed it yesterday, while on the map, in a crowded area (during an aerial anomaly).
    While on the map i have between 100-144 fps, but i f i move the map around one can see the heaviy stuttering which occurs randomly and takes about a quarter second.

During normal gameplay i did not notice stuttering, but a lot of players dealing staggered damage to me out of nowhere, causing instant deaths in situations where i would normally have had at least a chance to react and win.
    And that while constantly having a ping around 30 and a server latency around 50.

Really, this is not fun to play like this.
    • Up x 1
  2. AlcyoneSerene

I have the same experience with more incidences of burst damage than before, not even seeing bullet tracers directed toward you or anyone, then mini-freezes before dying. Also bullets not registering damage, showing the animation of hitting (the shield shimmer effect) but no hit registration markers or actual damage to target (seen after dying).

Frustrating gameplay, and the only acknowledgement is Orange ISP in Europe, and 'some' bugs introduced with the latest big patch. I sure do hope they are aware of these serious ongoing glitches before more players decide to find competitive FPS PvP elsewhere that at the very least function.
  3. JibbaJabba

Ok, what I found...

I did a perfmon and put together a data collector set to run while I'm playing. Typical Processor, disk, memory counters. Also though added Process/* counters for the planetside executable (not to be confused with ProcessOR counters).

When the lag spikes were at their worst there were gaps in the collector data. Perfmon instrumentation is at a low level so gaps mean basically nothing is getting processed. There was a spike of DPCs just prior to the gaps which makes sense.

Then I looked back at the earlier less severe lag spikes. I found my processor usage was tanking during these and planetside was having spikes of page faults.

Backing out from this a bit and looking at memory, mine was all consumed. Planetside had it's usual arc of ****** memory usage patterns but they weren't completely plateauing any longer.

The other bit: Mine issues began very clearly on a certain day. Same day I happened to reboot from a Windows Update. Turns out there is a security update for windows (more fallout from the intel/AMD processor vulnerabilities). The KB for this had some regkeys to control it and sure enough those regkeys were in the windows memory manager.

I rolled back the security update and the problem went away.

Next up: Reapply it but use the regkeys to isolate which new function is problematic.

Good luck. Highly recommend perfmon collector set as a starting point.
    • Up x 1
  4. CaptCran

A lot of lag between menu's, weapon switching, and cloaking....
  5. dreyone

they broke everything...