Stryker and Vulcan TR air Dominance = Dead Air Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by phungus420, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jonesing25

1: WHY IS YOUR LIBERATOR WITHIN 50M OF THE GROUND?
    2: THE 'TINKTINKTINKTINK' ISN'T ENOUGH AUDITORY?
    3: STOP HOVERING, THE VULCAN'S BULLET VELOCITY IS VERY LOW.
    4: NUMBER 4 WAS COVERED BY 1 THROUGH 3
    • Up x 3
  2. Jonesing25

Yeah like every other thread on this forums lol
  3. Deltoran

Interesting then that I only seem to get blasted from the sky in my Lib or Gal at 300-500 meters after GU11. Maybe TR is just now only finding out how good the Vulcan is...OR...maybe the distance and drop buffs without also buffing Air-Vehicle resistance have made it a wicked AA gun.

Sure, I'd take damage before the GU from Vulcans, but usually could get out of range before I was roasted within seconds - this is a Lib and or Gal we're talking here...not esf. After GU11, I don't even see the direction the Vulcan is firing from before I'm already on fire or dead. And no, I'm not a terrible pilot who needs to 'l2p'. I'm adequate enough to know when to bug out, when I'm in over my head, and what altitudes to fly at...most of the time. If I can avoid AA fire most of the time before it manages to kill me, then I should be able to avoid a Vulcan, given its not even supposed to be an AA weapon. That's the most simple way I can put it...once again...without too many crazy numbers and emotional outbursts.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jonesing25

Well it does have 60 rounds now and it has a spin up, with a bad *** sound so maybe more people are using it now. It's an anti-vehicle weapon, so air falls into that category. Honestly, the current vulcan can't even hit a stationary turret, except for like the first 3 shots, from 300m. Try it out in the VR. I'm not going to tell you 'L2P' Lol. I'm only stating my own experiences using the Vulcan.
  5. Phazaar

Unless you're flying at such a speed that target aquisition, much less payload delivery, is impossible, it's far from a fairytale. The Vulcan needs how many bullets on target to kill an ESF? 10? If you can't land 10 bullets on a <200kph flier passing over you at 50m altitude (still comparatively high for avoiding lockons), you shouldn't be in a gunner seat.

Also once again, way to avoid the issue. Clientside hit recog is the main problem here. If unaware of the presence of a Prowler, an ESF pilot essentially gets instagibbed by it, as though there is time for manoeuvre between first bullet and last, that manoeuvring does not help as the latency tends to mean the vehicle is still stationary within the requisite TTK. This is definitely one of the factors in why people that don't use the Vulcan believe its accuracy/tracking to be better than it is. I, on the other hand, am 150 kills from Auraxium with the little beauty, and I'm very aware it's not an IWIN button, but also aware that its extra utility vs air is neither necessary nor balanced.
  6. Mongychops

Striker has not far off double the DPS of the annihilator, and a much faster lock on time, which is kind of why no one uses the annihilator. If you try using http://www.ps2calc.com a striker kill a sunderer in 33.25 seconds, the annihilator kills it in 53.9 seconds ( The annihilator itself is in such a nerfed state because it was decided that whole platoons using the annihilator was an overpowered anti-everything counter, no idea why they decided to give one faction a pre nerf annihilator with more damage). The strikers advantage is not that it is on its own highly powerful, but because around half of TR heavy assaults choose to carry it as their standard launcher when fighting outside, guaranteeing lock ons everywhere in a way the other factions don't. When the fight moves indoors, TR swap to dumbfires like everyone else, don't be facetious.

Again, the issue with anchored prowlers is not so much the individual, but the numbers of them. on a platoon scale combat there will be prowlers using reverse slops to shoot at air, and the other TR AA makes targetting them from the air in a safe manner (dalton from directly above) suicidal, An isolated prowler is certs to aircraft, a prowler in a platoon is not. Lowest armour? the only tank with more armour than the prowler is the vanguard (joint second out of 4 tanks), the armour is nothing to complain about. And no, the prowler poses the highest threat to aircraft, an anchored AP prowler has 400 m/s projectile speed (250 m/s unanchored), an AP vanguard has 275 m/s projectile speed, and the magrider and lightning have 225 projectile speed (the magrider also only has 30 degree vertical angle, and momentum/inertia on rotation). I wasn't intending this particular aspect is to be nerfed, I was pointing out how one sided the ground to air situation was with TR. If you really want an example of an appropriate change if one were necessary, reducing the vertical angle on the prowlers main cannon to 30 degreed would work.

Sure, so why not reduce the vulcans vertical freedom or lower its projectile speed, same DPS, harder to hit aircraft.

The ES AV secondaries, at least the saron actually does not really outperform a halberd with reload speed upgrades (since the halberd scales very well with reload speed upgrades), the halberd also still OHKs infantry, with the only difference actually being at close range (but the TR have already got that one covered). Besides, the prowler main cannon not in anchor mode has the highest DPS of any tanks main cannon (and far FAR more anchored), being slightly behind on the secondary won't hurt that much. Consider that the enforcer and the saron were too effective against infantry despite being as AV secondaries, so they got nerfed hard, there is a precedent for this.
  7. Alarox

You play the game for other people? You expect others to play the game for you?

Altruism is just a bunch of people selfishly trying to feel good without doing anything good and trying to make other people serve them through guilt.
  8. GhostAvatar

Ohhh no, I do understand the problem they are trying to convey. He is crying about the Vulcan as a AA weapon among other things == he is a bad pilot.

The Striker I will give that it is definitely a matter up for debate. But the Vulcan, seriously... give it a break.

As nice biased start to a post, didn't bother reading past that as you decided to pick out the most extreme example. Let try it a different way, against an ESF, the Striker takes it down in 12.8s while the Anni takes it down in 15.4s.
  9. WUNDER8AR

As for the Striker. I'll say it again. We've got no choice other than lock ons for outdoor combat. Be it the Striker, the Anni or the Grounder. In the end of the day it is absolutely irrelevant which one of these it actually is because lock on launchers utilized by multiple players in one area are going to melt aircraft no matter what. You say it yourself, the actual problem is that the Striker has become part of the default loadout for outdoor combat of half the TR heavies. Imagine it wasn't the Striker, but the Annihilator/ Grounder instead. Even with a nerfed Anni the result would be the exact same effect on G2A/ A2G combat simply due to the numbers of players utilizing them. Now imagine it wasn't half the TR heavies carrying Annihilators/ Grounders, but NC or VS dudes. Still the same ******* game. Hence my point remains.

As for the Prowler. You're still completely ignoring the downsides of anchor mode, let alone the fact that it requires the Prowler two hits to actually achive superior dps compared to the other tanks. Not to mention that it requires a respectable amount of certs put into anchor mode in order to actually make the Prowler become a useful tool in the first place. And in the same sentence you complain about the Vulcan, a weapon that is not synergetic with anchor mode in the slightest. If you'd have ever used a Prowler/ Vulcan you'd know that we trade velocity and rof for a whole lot of detriments. We might not have the lowest armor (thanks for clarification, but according to you it doesn't matter anyway), we're still sitting ducks though.

Also one does not simply expect aircraft to live infinitely when they fly near, let alone attempt to wipe out a platoon of players utilizing combined arms single-handedly. Ofc those guys are going to make short work of you. That's not any different if you fly near NC/ VS platoons/ zergs. You gotta fight combined arms with combined arms. And in the current state of the game, numbers with numbers. Those Prowlers deployed on reverse slopes are fodder to anything ambushing them from behind. Regardless, you shouldn't of given those guys the time to target aircraft in the fist place, cause apparently they must be incredibly bored.
    • Up x 1
  10. Slandebande

No, the Vulcan doesn't tear through ANY aircraft that it gets an angle on. If the target has a brain and isn't moving at 1/4-½ speed straight in a line right next to the vulcan user, it won't die. And a liberator within 50m of a Vulcan, seriously, how did that ever happen?

But yes, Drop the ammo back to where it was and boost the medium-to-long range viability of the Vulcan like most TR prowler-drivers have been asking for. The damage on the Vulcan is a bit silly against air, but it is in no way instagibbing ANY air that it gets an angle on, simply due to the spin-up, bloom and all that. I wouldn't mind keep the same amount of shots on the Vulcan, while lower the damage (at least on aircraft) and increasing the accuracy/reducing the bloom to make up for it.. Combined with a FIX (not a nerf like so many moronic "NERF CRYERS" are advocating just because they can't tell the difference between a bug and a balanced state) to the striker, it would help a lot!
  11. Slandebande

And yes, most TR tankers are asking for the damage to be toned-down against aircraft in exchange for more medium-to-long range utility to actually make it FUN for the gunners to be in a Prowler for a change (unlike the Saron/Enforcer which can actually do something at the longer ranges)
    • Up x 2
  12. Jube

I've killed you guys with the vulcan on several occasions. Each time it has happened you dove directly at me and refused to pull out or hovered over me trying to lolipod me. These kills are your own fault!
    Don't cry about the weapon that killed you, cry about your own lack of skill.
    • Up x 2
  13. Mongychops

That is exactly what I have been saying, that the ground to air fire from a TR zerg is so much more deadly than from a similar NC or VS zerg.

Oh, and the striker definitely is the problem, it has higher DPS against air than the dedicated G2A lock on, (and a faster lock on time), and higher DPS against ground than the dedicated G2G lock on. The supposed big drawback (the bright red rockets and launch flash) to make the user vulnerable, doesn't even render for air >90% of the time.

Yes, we can "Imagine it wasn't the Striker," because that is what it is like when you fly against the NC or VS instead. The difference is incredible.
  14. Riku

Ah, the guy who exaggerates to no end and refuses to prove his statements made another thread.
    Anyway, just passing by to say I merely have to fly carefully when engaging tr; nothing's dead about air game here.
    Yes, fix bugs of annihilator and striker (normal launchers usually still crash @ obstacles) and hopefully the whine will stop.
  15. Jalek

I don't know if it's skill or what, I've pinged an ESF with a base turret and watched them decide to fly directly at me, apparently thinking their pods will outdamage an AA gun in their face. It's expected by now that if you hit one with a striker, they'll spend ten minutes flying circles around a rock or tree trying to shoot you, as if you insulted them. Too many Rambos in the sky, it's a public service to knock them down.
    • Up x 2
  16. skull4squadron

I will talk about my experience.
    I have come late to the striker party.
    Mostly used the Annihilator when needed.
    My take on the striker so far is.
    So far I pretty much hit all the targets.
    But with that said. I have yet to get an air kill with it.
    Just pure asst. Of course it might be because as soon as air gets hit they hall *** out of there.

Now for the Vulcan
    I've has this since launch.
    The only times I've ever had kills with it is if air is literally just hovering so close to the ground that they are sitting ducks.
    other that that i can't hit them.
    The vulcan is way to short range.
    Its almost useless most of the time.
  17. Riskae

where did you get this idea? it's painfully **** vs infantry soooo what's it supposed to be good at?

it's anti vehicle... guess what captain... airplanes are vehicles ;)

I know I know... you want to farm us tankers all day long... dude, just to engage you I have to drive up a steep incline and hope you stay in my positive firing arc... and this takes 2 people working together to achieve.

lol... sorry man, it takes skill to gun down birds with a vulcan... when it happens to you, respect the effort don't trash the tools.
  18. evansra

I agree with this, fighting TR sucks at the moment :(
  19. Riskae

sorry, vangaurds are amazing right now... you don't get to cry.
  20. ZoeAlleyne

The issue applies to all factions however the other factions only have the mega gimped annihilator, never mind the fact that my phoenix is limited range and my entire payload of five missiles only does 1000 more damage than one clip from a striker. I am seeing a trend here though, nerf the common pool weapons *cough* *cough* the annihilator and the fury leaving the TR versions *cough* *cough* the stryker and the marauder alone to be the best in the category.