Striker range needs to be reduced

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Moltke, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Bennybones

No one said that the Phoenix is awesome against air. If they did they're idiots. The Phoenix is clearly not very good against air. But it's significantly better in all other areas except arguably it's more limited range. I have spent plenty of hours with the Phoenix and I friggin love that thing. It's amazing. However, it's crap against air. The striker is better. But the Striker is also crap against air. Just because the Phoenix is worse doesn't mean that the Striker is even remotely as good as some seem to think.
  2. Moltke

I'm glad you seem to know what you're talking about...

You obviously have never led a platoon or multiple platoons and air squads such as I have

The striker's impact on this game is extremely strong in comparison to the vs and nc launchers

Many people like to argue that it's a learn to play issue, but that's just not an effective excuse to keep this weapon

This game is about numbers and generally has very little to do with skill. The effectiveness of this weapon makes it too easy for a beginner or any player of any skill level to shoot down planes especially those who have just learned to fly.

Flying is hard and casual people won't fly at all when they have a beeping lock in all the time. It is too stressful for most people and takes too much coordination to figure out how to fly. So in essence that takes away all of the cannon fodder away for the good pilots of the nc and vs.

So vs and nc are left with only good pilots because casual players don't want to put up with the hectic beeping and getting locked on from who knows where.

However the striker exacerbates the problem by giving TR air so much support that casual TR pilots can waltz right into most fights with very little fear of lock ons, but generally have to only consider the occasionally AA max or sky guard .

So now you have more TR air than you used to and less NC and VS air than you used to.
  3. Moltke

I will be no longer responded to this thread because people are only necroing old topics so I'm posting a new thread
  4. Bennybones

Oh, so the problem is squads of enemies with rocket launchers? And only with the striker? The anni and other lock ons are fine? Because you do realise that if you nerf the striker into being even more useless people will just go back to the anni for their A2A launcher and there'll be beeping all over the place again. The exact same way there's been beeping in this game since day one.

And if you've really led squads you'll realise just how effective the lancer is against air or the other lock ons. It's absolutely devastating. Any groups of people with rocket launchers absolutely wreck. I think the Phoenix against air is the exception. There's no doubt that the Phoenix suffers against air more than the other launchers.

The striker is not effective. It's not. It is, however, loud. And that's what we've all been saying. You're not afraid of the Striker, you're afraid of the beeping noise and the beeping noise has been there since the first lock on launchers. That's not a striker exclusive issue, it's a lock on issue.

And you can't keep using anecdotal evidence for how many TR pilots there are and how few NC/VS there are. I can say the exact opposite. I see bucketloads of NC/VS ESF wherever I go and almost no TR. That's just as valid as what you're saying, but it's a moot point since it's just anecdotal bullcrap.

I absolutely agree that the Striker is the most effective against air, but that doesn't make it particularly effective against air. I also agree that flying is hard and it's frustrating and new pilots are easily discouraged. But they'll be discouraged by EVERYTHING that hits them. That terrifying sound when a pistol shoots at them, it's horrendous, scares the crap out of me. It sounds virtually as loud as when flak hits you. That's just as discouraging. If they stick around for 5 minutes they'll realise that flak kills them in 5 seconds, strikers won't kill them at all. But maybe they can make the lock on noise a bit less aggressive, that seems to be the main point here after all.
  5. Moltke

The TR are so enthralled with this weapon that there is no way to be rational with them because they severely love their advantage over the other empires. Thats why on the waterson server both nc and vs have been coming together to fight the TR together, and a lot of the strength of the TR comes from their higher population and the overuse of the striker. I think ths is a major reason that people are migrating to play TR.