Striker problems and how it should be fixed

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Ryo313, Jun 12, 2015.

1. cobaltlightning

Personally, I would preffer to treat the Striker as a highre magazine AA Launcher: Give it back the lock-ons against Air Targets and then leave it as is.

The auto-lock on bit doesn't really feel like it does much, and with the drop and velocity makes it feel like you have to engage aircraft at ~50 meters in which they will either kill you or run off and well out of your effective range. Returning the lock-on to it would help make it viable again, as it's lower damage per shot and long exposure would still mitigate the 5-6 shots it can fire.

Leaving the Dumbfire on the Striker would keep it well against vehicles, but thanks to lack of lock on you'd have to get in close to hit all your shots on it otherwise you're doing AMR worth of damage to it at best, with again long reload and exposure making you vulnerable still. For AI, it would fall under every other TR weapon, I feel: Suppression, because unless one brave soul comes to put a commissioner into your mouth even he would wanna face those mini rockets.
  2. Ryo313

tbh TR doesn't need anothe AA rocket launcher... but instead a long range AV one. ( NC has the phoenix and VS the lancer)

against AI.. the striker deals nearly no dmg to infantry unlike all the other RLs ingame.

if i'm not mistaken you want to keep it like it is + lock on to air vehicles?
    • Up x 1
  3. cobaltlightning

Pretty much, yes. The Lancer has the longest range at Maybe 500 Meters, and the Phoenix can easily go around cover but it's range is about 300 until the guided rocket fizzles into non existance, so I think the Striker would get its own niche with being air deterrence and suppression.

As I've said with the Fractures, you'd be surprised how well suppression works in Planetside 2. Even if you don't hit anything, it can and will scare the enemy into hiding.
  4. Ryo313

killing something > scareing something. phoenix and lancer have both killing potention in their niche, so why not the striker as well?
    same with the fractures... why wasting money/time to scare something away instead of killing it?

i know suppression is working great in planetside 2 and i use it alot ( unfortunatly thats the only thing the striker is good at) but lets be honest here... scareing something away doesn't earn you certs does it? xP
    • Up x 1
  5. cobaltlightning

Neither of the special launchers have any high killing potential solo, that's why you get friends. And with Planetside 2 being combined arms you'd do better with friends anyway, so go let them kill the baddies while you're making them hide in their hole. If it's certs you're after, make your friends waste their bullets on that bit of rock while you go and kill the baddies instead.
  6. Ryo313

i know its a combined arms game... but there is a difference between scareing something away and beeing able to kill it.

the phoenix has the killing potential (1 rocket is enough to kill infantry... i got killed once on a tower before i even knew what hit me)
    besides that its a long range av weapon ( 300m video guided) = filling its niche

the lancer is great for killing retreating targets due to its insta gib dmg (600 muzzle velocity) and its chargeable shots ( which you can charge while taking cover) and to "snipe" any vehicles due to its range. = filling its niche

the striker... useless against infantry ... useless against vehicles in close/midrange due to 2,5s exposer time... useless against airborn targets at range ( you can't even guarantee hits because stealth also affects the striker and the rockets are too slow for long distances) = not filling its niche

and don't get me wrong... i'm not saying that i want a weapon where i can solo kill anything. i want a weapon that isn't as useless as the striker especially because its the empire specific rocketlauncher . the phoenix and the lancer are both usefull and filling their role as supposed to but the striker doesn't. the striker gets outpeformed by other RLs even in the niche its supposed to fill.
    • Up x 1
  7. jmdafk

Thanks mate, I was trying against no stealth static objects in VR and your real world experiance has opened my eyes, youve saved me 1k certs :)
    I did notice it was useless against infantry, even ones that stood still and didnt fire back!

I find the lockon launchers to slow to lock on when your facing good pilots. Respect to some pilots, they are good and probably dont deserve to get shot down by me, but id like something to even the fight when a skyguard is out of reach. (if i respawn for one all the esf's morph into vanguards anyway)

Im on cobalt.
  8. Ryo313

np^^
    and about the lock on launchers ... if they are too slow the enemy is no threat xP most of them are scared when they see the lock on signal so they are throwing flares or fly away ( you don't need the striker as "scare the enemy away" weapon)

cobalt is nice^^ i main TR there so if you want we can meet there and talk about everything you want to know ^^
    i'll pm you my ING
    (there is a reason why i don't use my ingamename as forum name.. i want to get treated as the person i am not on which K/T or stats i have ingame)
  9. Ronin Oni

reddit is looking a lil dead lately actually...

I duuno, but everything on FP has <50 upvotes

Still though, the devs DO post there and the best cahnce at direct communication.

AFAIK These forums are mostly just parsed through by a couple of their community guys who kinda give them a pulse on the thoughts of forumside. Particularly relevant discussions will be linked to the designers, but I don't think the designers read the actual content of most threads.

As to why? Meh, they prefer the design format of reddit and twitter (for different reasons. Twitter is good for quick updates w/o inviting lengthy discussion, reddit is good for focusing on popular opinion)

Both formats also relieve them of any real responsibility for the communities, which I think might just be the biggest draw for them honestly.
  10. OldMaster80

Erm...are you masochist? o_O

I mean... you need like 35 rockets to destroy a MBT that doesn't have protection and it's not moving. Considered the Striker's CoF, terrible muzzle speed and obscene bullet drop pretending to somehow even scratch a MBT or a Sunderer is just.... ridicolous!
    A full clip of Striker's rockets can barely make a Flash explode, do you really play the Tank Buster with that?!
  11. Ryo313

tbh yeah x'D and it works quite well against sundis for some reasons... ( and i use av nades as well so yeah x'D)
    and most of the time you have your teammates for support
  12. bubbacon

Does the Striker frustrate me? Yes, mainly because of the lock on mechanics failing. I have noticed that when I catch an ESF coming straight down at me I can land a full clip on them. If I try to hit them flying across my position, maybe 1 hits them. Now, those performance issues aside, the Striker is one of the most feared weapons around and here's why.

NO RADAR PING. That is why I use it and I'm getting better all the time at using it. So some may say well...I can dumbfire most RLs cept Anni so whats so good about the Striker? Striker fires volleys, so even if some Mag Rider is derping side to side, I can still straff the hell out of both his flanks with the Striker.

Best tip I can give Striker users is just to get good at leading your aim. Forget about the lock on mechanic.
  13. Ryo313

well.. i'm useing it for a month now and tbh... its very frustrating.
    i doubts its that feared because of its accuracy and the fact that you can't hit anything thats flying at a certain range.
    sure the "no radar ping" is fearsome but tbh do you fear something that can't hit you or does little to no dmg to you because that thing can't hit you?

it fires volleys yes.. but 2,5s is way to long ... compare the dmg it does with other RLs ( and the time it takes to deal the dmg)

leading your aim isn't really working because the rockets are way to slow so most of the time i don't even bother to waste them because i know i can't hit any airvehicles at range with it. ( after a month you get tired of it because its so frustrating )