[Suggestion] Striker 3.0

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SW0V, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Jubikus

No alot of people are aware that you can accurately fire but thees people are also aware that you already have to empty a mag and reload so the wasted time on accuracy tho useful against non moving targets is a waste against anything that can move as your already going to have a tough time getting the damage out. Also just my personal opinion on having to slow fire the weapon tho its not too much slower than full auto it is slower and makes it feel clunky and just not as good as say the Lancer where firing slower with the charge is actually rewarded by more damage. You are correct in your assessment of it being a niche weapon would be correct but it just doesn't quite fill its niche very well unlike say the Archer which is amazing at taking down maxes which is its niche where the striker just sort of makes air go away some times and hell as soon as that new NS lock on to air and ground with what 3 rounds per mag something like that goes live well what is the striker for then?
  2. Silkensmooth

Striker is awesome and performing how all lock on launchers should.

I can wtf pwn hovering planes and i have a very hard time adding on dogfights or laming people who are clearly not interested in farming the ground.

Against vehicles it is kinda weak, but it does have way better range than a dumbfire.

Instead of fixing the striker to be even more op against air, how about we make all lockons with the same mechanics.

Locks are so lame and skilless, and have way way way too much range.

Earlier today i was flying over an nc vs fight in my skeeter and i saw a bunch of scythes pounding the ground at an NC base, so i engage one and im smacking him around and all of the sudden i get locked from the ground and of course i die since im engaged with air.

So i send the guy. Hey why are you attacking the guy whos trying to kill the ground pounders who are rocket podding you?

This is pretty much the state of the air game atm.

Air is pounding the ground and the A2A pilots are powerless to stop it because we constantly have to deal with G2A that was designed to combat A2G pounders.

So anyway, yeah striker is fine. Better than before imo. It doesnt give the enemy a 5 sec alert that you are about to shoot them, and its a lot more fun to actually have to lead and aim than to sit there while the computer does all the work for you.
  3. zaspacer

I find the Striker excellent at engaging Base Turrets from Long Range. It's also very good at taking out most parked Sunderers from Long Range (about ~25 seconds doing Slow Click Firing). And it's good to pressure Air that is doing close-midrange passes and using cover to keep Lockons from acquiring.

I also do find it useful vs. Tanks that are at Longer Range. It's not even close to as quick and reliable as Lancer (which is where the Lancer shines), but it's pretty decent.

I don't rely on Striker to make air go away (unless it's multiple Strikers on close-midrange AIr). Lockon are much more reliable to make Air leave: ESF pilots especially hate constant Lockon pressure in an area.
  4. zaspacer

You were flying above a base with no allies present. That is just pure farming, and you're going to be seen as a target by all forces on the ground, especially since they don't know whether you're G2A or A2A.

I fly ESF a lot, I do it (mostly) in range of my own forces, and I don't have huge problems with G2A: you identify where enemy ground forces are, then you try to keep from getting tangled in A2A above or in line-of-sight to them. Or you make a quick kill and be able to break line-of-sight fast.
  5. Silkensmooth

Right just an example of how 4 scythes were farming an nc base and i tried to take them out and the NC guy locked onto me instead of the A2G scythes that were farming him.

Any major fight is like that. Even when you have your allies near you. Trying to do A2A work and some invisible guy on the ground can do 42% damage from 500 meters.

I don't have a problem with G2A launchers being powerful at defending vs A2G ESF but not just for use as a griefing weapon vs pilots who are doing A2A.

Imo the G2A should be more powerful against A2G ESF than A2A ESF. Making flak only detonate in the presence of ESF equiped with A2G loadouts, and adding several secs to the G2A launcher vs ESF without an A2G loadout.

Don't get me wrong, i have no problem with the current state of G2A vs A2G farmers, but the current range of G2A intrudes on the A2A game too much.
  6. Jubikus

Yeah you pointed out the main thing about the striker there the only place it finds use its completely outclassed by the lancer.
  7. SW0V

You're right that you can't just look at one stat.

Also, I, and many others, predicted that an increase to velocity without decreasing the lock-range would result in an AA buff instead of an AV buff. I even posted at one point that the only thing the Striker is good at atm is fending off air zergs... which admittedly is a uniquely TR ability (short of an AA max that costs 450 resources). But that's gimmicky and not particularly useful.
  8. SW0V

9. Goretzu

The problem is that when the Striker 1.0 ruled the world, it wasn't exactly uber, that is basically it was a slightly better Annhilator at the time - statistically it performed well, but it didn't perform amazingly well (which was likely why it wasn't nerfed for so long) dispite the profound effect it had on the game as VS or NC when you played against TR - and it was profound in that context; it made any TR battle more or less a no fly zone and made ground vehicle play against TR very, very tricky too, it completely shifted the balance of play compared to an VS vs NC battle.

The reason why it was this effective was it was good at AV and AA and a lot of people carried it - therefore effectively making it more powerful simply by the act of it being well carried - that is in any fight a large % of TR would be able to target AV and AA all the time - neither the Lancer or the Pheonix had or have that capability which means that although they can be very powerful they aren't usually carried in a generalist way in large numbers.

That is why a lot of people carry AA rocket launchers as a generalist RL, as they have AA ability, but with dumbfire have reasonable AV and AI too.

So the problem is if you basically make the Striker back into a no-brainer generalist choice, it will again become very powerful, as its weakeness (poorish AI - actually less poor now than in the Striker 1.0 days) isn't really that much of a weakness in a RL (at least not compared to poor AA and AI in the Lancer and even poorer AA, poor AI in the context of dumbfires, and basically being AFK whilst flying it in the Pheonix).

My guess would be that is why DBG/SOE have has such a hard time balancing it, and makes me confused about why they are making the Swarm too.
  10. SW0V

You are correct. That is why I do not want the striker to be a generalist launcher.

I, along with pretty much all other TR, want a long range AV RL option.

This is a thread I made about my suggestion on how to fix the striker. Basically turn the Striker into a hand held Raven in terms of mechanics with the downside of locking you into ADS for the duration of using the weapon.