Stop slide to BF3 UI; give option to turn base icons off

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Evilsooty, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Evilsooty

Hi devs,

Your game is great, but please don't ruin it by obscuring the screen with icons that cannot be turned off like Battlefield. It just makes everything look like a cluttered mess. I can understand that some people might like to have base icons on permanently to guide them to the next location without having to look at the map, but at least make it an option to disable them for those who do not like icons all over the screen.

You don't want to end up having your game looking like this:

:)

[IMG]
    • Up x 7
  2. maxkeiser

Can they be turned off? They annoy me as well. Just more clutter where it wasn't needed.
    • Up x 2
  3. Drealgrin

I enjoy having as much information in front of me as possible, and i think you would too if you'd use it.
  4. Evilsooty

I can't see an option for it. I'm hoping it's an oversight as the UI is still a lot more customisable than other FPS games I have played.
  5. Ripshaft

They've been consistently awesome with tuning the visibility of icons on the hud, it's always rough when they add new items, but they get em hammered out.... at some point =p

Though yeah, I assume they'll add in the option to disable whatever icons we don't want eventually when they crack open the UI, and sooner for some items.
  6. Evilsooty

That's fine if it benefits you. Personally, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I prefer to flick to the map to get my bearings.

Red Orchestra 2 handles this much better. By default there are next to no icons on the scree, but if you want the objectives and so on to appear on the screen you can toggle them on and off with a key. The best of both worlds!

7. maxkeiser

Nobody denied this. IT SHOULD BE OPTIONAL though.

OPTIONAL. You should be able to turn it on and off. That is all we are asking for.
    • Up x 4
  8. theholeyone

It goes both ways, if I already know where the base is, then having it on screen just removes some pixels and creates a distraction to inhibit the display of other info (like seeing enemies) for no reason.
    • Up x 2
  9. Evilsooty

Yep. I remember being killed loads of times in BF3 by enemies obscured by the huge neon icons everywhere and was part of the reason why I left that compromised mess of a game.
  10. Oheck

Wrong. Bf3 was rediculous for its hud clutter. The new base icons weren't needed. This is why we have a map, compass and the ability to place waypoints. They need to make the HUD fully customizable.
    • Up x 4
  11. Oblomoff

You can turn the hud completely off so that the game with physx enabled looks like the trailer, but it surely would be nice to have customizable interface. Personally I'm fine with what there is already, but I'd use no-hud with chat and minimap, just for the more cinematic experience.
  12. maxkeiser

I want to be able to turn just the new base icons off. Can we get any SOE update on this?
  13. SShocK

I want these icons gone, they have no real purpose and there was enough screen clutter already.
    Who needs these things really? Did anyone ask for this? Or is this dumbing down further for the PS4?
    Please remove it or give us some options to toggle it on/off. (as well as a toggle for other HUD elements)
    • Up x 2
  14. Morti

is this what BF3 looks like on super nintendo?
  15. DCWarHound

Either PS3,Xbox or low on PC.
    • Up x 1
  16. KlyptoK

I completely forgot that some people play on super tiny screens that are smaller than the size of an iPad...

Wait, what???
  17. Zakuak

Agreed, an option to turn them off would be great IMO. I like at a glance information but c'mon I already know I'm at/by MAO....if I do not know where I am then I've got bigger problems to worry about heh.
  18. rizzoid

Escape -> Settings -> General -> Show HUD Indicator Names

Is that the setting y'all are referring to?

And for most folks, the BF3 HUD is just fine:

[IMG]

Edit: Oh, and what I'd like to see as an option: a way to completely disable the kill feed. It's completely worthless information in almost all circumstances.
  19. Aiden

Yeah, I sure am glad I can see the locations of all four equipment terminals in the enemy's spawn. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the amount of icon clutter on the HUD is ridiculous. Much worse than BF3. We need an ability to turn them off by category. I don't need to know the location of every equipment terminal within 500m, and I don't need to be able to see blue doritos through walls.
  20. Evilsooty

Down with this sort of thing!