Stop rushing updates

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, Mar 13, 2014.

1. OgreMarkX

The guy who wants weekly updates doesn't code, test, or lead that process. He sits in an office and demands the coders, testers and leaders provide him "metrics" for his graphs and "market analysis".

Dilbert's boss would demand weekly updates then he would demand to know why things aren't working, after which he would downsize the staff and still demand weekly updates.

He'd probably use the words "Agile Methodology" while doing it. Actually, not probably, more like definitely.
    • Up x 6
  2. EmmettLBrown

I'm betting the higher ups at SOE looked at the population influx right after OMFG and decided that more updates are better. Doesn't matter what gets updated, just get them out more frequently.
    • Up x 2
  3. doombro

I do certainly appreciate seeing new content faster than ever before, but I'm willing to wait another week or two if it means the game won't be broken every other patch. :p
    • Up x 4
  4. Regpuppy

Which has some merit. But the problem now is that it feels like they hit the other extreme and we're left with a relatively unstable game experience and most of these weekly patches don't actually have much substance anyway.
  5. EmmettLBrown

The problem I have with the weekly updates is how little time they have to polish something before it comes out or fix something that was broken last patch. Small exploits in a game with this many players can be extremely dangerous for the experience overall.
    • Up x 1
  6. z1967

I am always okay with less updates but more stable and well tested updates. Can't enjoy weekly content if its bugged, overpowered/underpowered, or server communities are dedicated to abusing it.

Aside from that, I think the infiltrator update was the most well done out of the three since it added all these cool new features but also offered a hard counter to infiltrators so it would not be frustrating for the population base and it would make use of a useless item. I guess they did try and do that with the buff to the ranger though. Would have been done better if they re-evaluated Skyguards, Bursters, AA turrets, and/or AA launchers and acclamated them to the increased presence of air (or better refined overall). Like a new engineer AA turret or making a Walker style Skyguard that is more "skill based" (since the recent threads about AA being too good for noobs or something like that).
  7. ZeroErrorz

• Up x 1
  8. FateJH

I am far more interested in the variety of bugs than the quantity. If aspects of something related to X caused issues in a number of ways, then the problem would simply be not enough time playtesting of X. Multiple issues in generally unrelated aspects of the game indicate that a lot of things are being changed at the same time, and that can mask minute and individual issues. "Zone desynchronization" leading to bouts of invincibility that were resolved by "disabling friendly-fire safe zones (alotogether)" make me curious about what they were trying to change originally, for example, because this aspect of assigning immunity by location does not seem like something you would ever need to touch.
  9. Modern Ancestor

Agreed endorsed and liked with cherry on top.:eek:
  10. ZeroErrorz

11. Makora

The devs from Warframe have a really nice mentality about patches (though their game is officially still in "Beta"). It's a really nice idea about patches and content. Because regardless of all the player base going "If I don't get a new candy right NOW, I quitz!" that kind of "rage" is nothing compared to something being waited for and hyped up (by those very same players most of the time) and then turning out to be broken on live.

12. Paragon Exile

Go with bi-monthly or monthly updates.

Christ's sake.
  13. TheGatorfan2

Totally agree. When you dread updates instead of looking forward to them, and "Never play on patch days" becomes a saying, you know there's a problem.
  14. ZeroErrorz

"never play on a patch day" in short
  15. Worph

So you are saying that you don't want a company to rush content, however you obviously didn't took the time to re-read your text. Neither did you care about spelling, grammar, punctuation or comma placement. There is also something called case sensitivity.

I'm not trying to refute your central point here, which is - quite apparently - not to rush updates. I might even go as far as to agree with you. But you did kind of the same thing, that you blame SOE for, by rushing your feedback.

Feedback, especially on official forums, has a lot to do with presentation and appearance. Both are really not amazing in your "rant", to say the least. You are promoting a never-ending cycle of mediocrity. Don't be that person. Especially not if that's basically what you are denouncing.
  16. ZeroErrorz

Sorry about that, english isnt my first languange.
  17. Frizbee2

Because the playerbase is self-entitled, fickle, and has no idea what they're talking about.
  18. ZeroErrorz

• Up x 1
  19. NoctD

I'm still having area desync issues - voices speaking to me in my head giving me lectures about the SCU and how we're gonna lose the base, when I'm at Jaeger's Crossing with no enemies nearby!

Game is just fubar currently. And hitching while flying frequently leads to unrecoverable ie. crash, plus someone will shoot at your still motion frozen in the air ghost and kill you while you're out of the game.
  20. NCDaniel

I support this.