Sticky grenade queries

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by johnway, Mar 19, 2015.

1. johnway

i've heard a lot about sticky grenades and thought i might invest in them as they seem to be quite effective but i have a few questions about their properties.

Besides from sticking to surfaces, do they have some sort of magical property that allows them to pass through spawn room barriers? half of the time i'm standing on the other side of the spawn room and get killed from the explosion that detonates on the outside or sometimes they get in the room (i don't mean sticking onto someone and he runs in afterwards).

Is there some sort of exploit with sticky grenades? Whenever i use them, they;re pretty standard and they just blow up and i use them just to flush out an enemy somewhere.
  2. Iridar51

Stickies don't pass through spawn room sheild walls, but if a grenade sticks to a player and he goes inside spawn room... kittens will die. :(

Sticky grenades also have about double OHK radius.
  3. ATRA_Wampa-One

Sticky grenades are like pre-nerf AV grenades on steroids, but they shouldn't be going through a shield wall unless they were stuck to someone and then that person passed through it before it exploded.
    • Up x 1
  4. Eternaloptimist

I read somewhere that C4 damage will bleed through a room shield if it is deployed against the other side of the shield. I assumed the same for stickies as I too, have been killed by a 'nade stuck to the other side of the shield I was standing next to.....or is this an urban myth?
  5. Reyj21

The game is full of glitches.
    Just before I saw an enemy throwing a grenade into my cover, so I dashed out and shot him as just before I died I noticed that the grenade stopped mid-air and I was standing right in front of it as it detonated.
  6. Mefi

Sticky grenade: 1250 @ 2.5m, 10 @7m, (1000 @ ~3.4m, 36.3m^2 OHK area).
    Frag grenade: 1275 @ 1m, 10 @ 6.5m, (1000 @ ~2.58m, 20.9m^2 OHK area).

Additionally, sticky grenade doesn't bounce away (like that cursed rubberball) and may stick to someone, who would carry it to the group of allies.

And even more, Sticky grenade is bugged, it will kill you even if you wear Flak armor.
  7. Problem Officer

Stickies shouldn't penetrate shield barriers unless they're carried through.
    Armor is bypassed when stuck on directly, shouldn't do that at a distance.
  8. Takara

These things are so much fun! I have my engineer with a set up for Biolab fights and Tower fights with grenade bandolier

Yes...if you attach a sticky grenade to someone and they run into a spawn room...it follows them through the door. If it didn't I would say it was a bit ********. But they are really effective against maxs (if you hit them) So that is the other bonus. But it helps you fight some of the zerg. Pick em up...loads of fun.
  9. MajiinBuu

Thank Vanu I'm not crazy. I'm always like "I could have sworn I had Flak armor equipped..."
  10. Mefi

Technically, it should bypass Flak when it's attached to you, but it totally ignores this requirement.

Main reason why this feature is here was an outcry on the forums "b-but I've managed to hit an enemy, why they have survived?", that was around era of HE spam, when Flak was greatly buffed and it was extremely popular.
  11. MajiinBuu

I know it ignores Flak armor when stuck to you, but it ignores Flak armor all together, simply being near it will kill you.
    Flak armor was changed so that the resistance also affected direct hits, which grenades are usually incapable of.
  12. johnway

Tbh the only time i can think of using sticky grenades is during bio-dome defense or throwing them through windows and sticking them in tight rooms to flush enemies out.

part of the reason i raised the topic was the strange activity i get from being on the receiving end of the grenades. i need to record some footage during times when i think that something strange is going on with sticky grenades as there has been more then one occasion I've raised an eyebrow as to how i was killed. Especially if its random explosions when i'm staring in that direction.

A bit of practice is needed with the grenades but atm its more of a wasted investment as i barely use them.
  13. patoman

Its not bad, big reason I unlocked and have it on all my engineri fits is because its a directive.

use normal nades get nothing, use stikies, add a few kills to a pile and it might help you get a directive. Though honestly its one of the harder directives to compelate,, mabey because I don't spam them enough.