[Suggestion] Station Cash to Players for Teaching Newer Players to the Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FreedomMan12, Feb 16, 2019.

1. FreedomMan12

This is a suggestion to bring more players into PlanetSide 2, but I'm not sure if the Devs have the means to implement this system. I was planning for this system to bring more players to play PlanetSide 2 so that the game can be more occupied with players at all times. The problem for newer players was the harsh learning curve for this game. Even though we have the mentor system and the continent for new players (that no one uses). Perhaps that continent can be used as a school for each factions veteran players to peacefully teach the game mechanics to the players at. What are your thoughts on this idea?
    • Up x 1
  2. AlcyoneSerene

I'm not sure one can implement some automated system that can't be exploited by players to mentor ghost accounts and farm DBC, which could in turn cost actual revenue to keep the game running and for new things to be added.

Also I have doubts about this whole harsh learning curve that everyone mentions is somehow so particular to planetside2, as if every other game is super easy to learn, or as if learning and getting better progressively isn't part of the fun of playing any game.

I play other MMOs or single player games too, and they require learning what each character's abilities are or risk getting hard countered, or building game items and field testing them in large open worlds, or acquiring actual real life knowledge of physics and established regulations, each of which require proper user input (mouse, steering wheels, joysticks, foot pedals). If someone doesn't enjoy this, there's no shortage of simple arcade games or puzzles or whatever.

Some of my friends tried ps2 with me. They had trouble understanding who the enemy was and what the various waypoints meant, or where terminals were, and the many color codes that indicated different squads or factions. Some with more gaming experience, especially for FPS shooters, learned it fast including vehicle play with minimal supervision, others abandoned it because online competitive FPS wasn't their thing and no amount of teaching would change that.

Koltyr, VR or PTR also serve as good training places, and it's also possible to try certain game items to see how they perform in live.

The game is also more forgiving than others, who use every single stat to rank you for MMR (certain roles like support getting less credit), which despite getting better over time holds players back and keeps them teamed with poor players who are impossible to carry. In anything competitive or complex, one must expect failing, losing, and dying a lot - if a player can't tolerate this then as mentioned there are simpler games or single player games.
    • Up x 1
  3. Towie

The turning point for me when playing PS2 was when I joined an organised squad - a talking, knowledgeable platoon/squad lead makes an absolutely enormous difference no matter what your skill level. I lead platoons often now - and talk a lot !

I believe that DBG should be spending more time looking after the people who make a difference.

Sadly I also agree with your first point - there is no doubt that people will look to exploit anything that gives a reward. It's still worth the risk IMO but would need to be monitored.

As to your second point - i'd suggest many (all?) other games are very much easier to learn than PS2 but take time to master. PS2 takes ages to learn - even longer to master. It's not fun when someone tries it, doesn't have a clue what they are doing and get killed constantly. Better now than ever before but I reckon the new player experience is still brutal.
    • Up x 1