State of the Game 11/25/2012 - 4:45pm PST

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Smed, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Smed SOE President

Hello everyone,

Here are the big issues we are chasing right now.

1) Server crashes - We've been chasing 2 separate server crashes. They have been tough to debug because in one of them they literally aren't leaving dump files. However we did manage to kill one of the two. We believe we only have one left. These are what we call "world server" crashes.

2) Zone Server issue - We currently have an issue that causes objects (including vehicles and corpses) not to despawn. Over time this leads to a zone server crash. Zones are continents. We're hard at work on this issue. We have it isolated and it's being worked on hard.

3) Intermittent lag on some servers - we are seeing isolated pockets where a lot of people on one or more servers are seeing pockets of lag. We are checking the root cause of this.

We're working 7/24 on fixing these issues. They've cropped up since we launched at the massive amount of people playing is simply causing us to see issues we didn't see during the beta. We're fixing them as fast as we possibly can.. and the second we fix something we're putting it up.

We appreciate your patience. These are obviously not the only issues, but they're the key things because they can affect larger numbers of people. We're continuing to work through the night tonight and we hope to make progress against all 3 issues asap.

Smed
    • Up x 36
  2. HadesR

Thankyou for taking the time to post ... It does mean a lot to the players to be kept informed on the official forums :)
    • Up x 7
  3. Smed SOE President

no problem. Just to let people know we've all been on a 3-day long massive conference call literally handling issues in real time with all of our lead engineers. These guys have been up till 4am every night. We will not rest until things are better.

Smed
    • Up x 16
  4. FullMetalMonkey

Keep up the good work guys, I do hope you sort out the lag issues sooner rather than later. :)

Also, I'm really impressed with the human touch to all you red and orange names make with your forum posts and not just copy/paste replies.

Also give TSR-AlexS a raise.
    • Up x 5
  5. sagolsun

Thanks for the heads up, we appreciate the information. MMO launches can be tough but SOE has the experience to handle it. Too bad the bugs happened over the weekend, this frustrated a lot of players. Some decided to give the game a break until the next weekend, so I hope the issue is sorted by then.

Of all the problems right now the hottest topic is the lost player progression and ingame station cash purchases. The latter is getting resolved by support tickets - how about the players who lost their hard earned certs and unlocks in between server crashes?
  6. Gavyne

Thank you sir, communication is key and I'm happy to see you post these things. I'm having a great time ingame, can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the future. Sometimes people need to be reminded that SOE is focusing on fixing the important performance/crash/server issues first, the goodies & content updates will come after.
  7. Dr Funfrock

Thanks for keeping us informed. It is great to see how communicative this whole dev team has been, even through what I imagine was a very busy launch.

Any comment on where you guys are looking to head in terms of gameplay (balance, new content, etc)? I know your focus is going to be on fixing the server load and stability at this point, but it would interesting to know what ideas you guys are playing with going forward.
  8. Nakor

Any ETA on squashing the repair bug? Being able to instantly repair your vehicle to full health over and over and over is kind of game breaking.
  9. Moises J.Ramos

Any news on ever adding a lattice server or a "True PS1" sequel server?
    • Up x 2
  10. sagolsun

Nope. Higby already mentioned he's happy with the current system as it helps spread players around. The problems right now are the show-stopping bugs so let's focus on those and leave misc questions to other threads.
  11. AZYHR

I think you missed one thing there smed "FPS"
  12. IntruderII

In addition to these fixes, I would prioritize a character transfer feature. A lot of us are stuck on a high population laggy server but would love to move to a lower populated server.
  13. McKnighter

Thanks for the update, and keep up the hard work!
  14. LittleBlackRainCloud

Thank you for the contact and personal concern!

Can we get more info on what is being done to combat the in-game mechanics not registering damage after death .. when you point blank shoot someone and no damage registers. Hack, lag or otherwise this is frustrating.
  15. NoDachi

I've noticed a big improvement since the latest fix.

Thanks.
  16. DJPenguin

is anything about improving player rendering on the horizon?
  17. Bratwurstboy

What the hell are you guys talking about? I see no difference in bug fixes. If anything I see more bugs. It's frustrating because whenever you guys release a patch or say you fix something I just see more things getting messed up. You got to figure this out or you'll start to lose people...
  18. CommandoX411

Let me see....

1) Server crashes - We've been chasing 2 separate server crashes. They have been tough to debug because in one of them they literally aren't leaving dump files. However we did manage to kill one of the two. We believe we only have one left. These are what we call "world server" crashes. So you are saying that you actually fixed something? I'd like to believe you are working towards a better game but sadly based on my experience in Alpha and since game launch I highly doubt that you actually know what the issue is and are just buying time with this vague statement.

2) Zone Server issue - We currently have an issue that causes objects (including vehicles and corpses) not to despawn. Over time this leads to a zone server crash. Zones are continents. We're hard at work on this issue. We have it isolated and it's being worked on hard. I am glad that after almost a week of bug reports on this that it is finally being "looked" into, This has been a huge issue and needs to be a priority.

3) Intermittent lag on some servers - we are seeing isolated pockets where a lot of people on one or more servers are seeing pockets of lag. We are checking the root cause of this. Good ****, lets see if this gets resolved or breaks more things when you try and "fix" it

We're working 7/24 on fixing these issues. They've cropped up since we launched at the massive amount of people playing is simply causing us to see issues we didn't see during the beta. We're fixing them as fast as we possibly can.. and the second we fix something we're putting it up. Alot of ******** in this statement. First off, You prematurely launched the game! At the end of Alpha there were tons of bugs, issues, and glitches that were unresolved and I think ignored, No open beta to test server loads or get a feel for the population interest. Quite frankly you rushed it and messed up, be a man and admit it. Second issue, After being in Alpha for 3 months I severely doubt that your team works 24/7, since alpha squad it seems that the "team" has lost interest in communicating with the players, Support works great...bug fixes suck and most of the time break things more then they fix. Thirdly, the "despawn" issue was in beta, but was ignored. I remember seeing this issue all the time and submitting countless tickets because of it.

We appreciate your patience. These are obviously not the only issues, but they're the key things because they can affect larger numbers of people. We're continuing to work through the night tonight and we hope to make progress against all 3 issues asap.
    Look we have been patient, in short alot of these issues come back on your ignorance. Pre-mature game launch, no real stress testing, adding new content without testing/changing things during the down-time between alpha and launch, all of these add up to a bad launch week...

Thanks for all you do, but lets get some **** done and stop giving us these vague, UN-informative, and quite frankly useless posts that don't really tell us the state of the game, just tell us that you really don't know whats wrong with it.

Now back to the game... someone has to submit all those ignored bug reports.
    • Up x 2
  19. Bratwurstboy

I totally agree with ^.

I would've much rather had an extended launch date and get this stuff sorted than have these major bugs in release. I think you bit off a little more than you can chew.
    • Up x 1
  20. Khoziel

<3 Thanks for keeping us informed. This is what I like to see when playing online video games.
    Acknowledgment and information means a lot to the player base.