State of the Emerald

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sustainedfire, Jun 26, 2015.

1. sustainedfire

Took a bit of time off PS2.

Came back, and now Emerald is back to the disheartening state of VS overpopulation. Again.

Sure, if you are in one of the rare bases that allow for defense, you can farm the jerks- though as we know, a lot of the bases lend themselves to being rolled over by the attackers.

So here we are again. What to do in this situation?

Playing today, I considered several times just switching over to my rarely used VS character, and tking the overpop VS, just so my faction mates have some semblance of a chance. At least that way, some of the excess VS would be out of commission, for 10 seconds (or less).

VS, you're the worst.
  2. Pikachu

Vanu... it's always vanu's fault. Everybody hates vanu.
    • Up x 5
  3. Hatesphere

The same could be said for any faction at different points in almost every servers time line. Fight the good fight or don't. Personally I revel in being on the under pop side.
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

back then when i was still on waterson (rip) Vanu was a small but core elite faction that stood its ground fairly well against the then overpopulated TR/NC

but now VS is always overpopulated whenever i play on Emeroll'd. very boring to say the least
    • Up x 2
  5. FlR3

I find this funny as of all week long I have logged in and seen TR having more population than both VS and NC off and on. A couple days was NC had more so Friday comes and VS has it so far. Who runs in the forums and complains. Well Boohoo, in a real war there is no such thing as equal amounts of Soldiers. Deal with it.
    • Up x 2
  6. axiom537

It is not so much an over-population, unless you are referring to off peak hours, that I really do not know much about. The VS on emerald have 2 or 3 large veteran outfits, that can easily field a platoon each on a good night. They are a force to be reckoned with when they focus on a target and hitting it with organized numbers, experienced players and strong weapons. It's more then most public platoons can handle.

Really not a whole lot you can do other then get your faction organized and rebuild outfits. Or do what we do and group up with other veteran squads to form a platoon that can handle them. Public squads/platoons just do not have the organization or skill that comes from playing with the same group of players every night.

These things come and go it fluctuates over time...
    • Up x 2
  7. sustainedfire

Sure, you can do a handful of things when your faction is underpopped. But it gets boring fast, when the most effective counter attack you can mount is based on sitting in the Spawn Room.

Try flying esf in underpop. If you engage even a non outfitted esf enemy 1v1, it's most likely that there are 3 other enemy esf flying around who will come and finish you off.

It's funny to attack one esf, and watch how many of the vs will try to engage you and how far they will chase, though it's amusement value is very short lived. There is nothing effective you can do in 4 to 1 odds.

Try tanking in underpop. The overpopulation faction is twiddling it's thumbs with excess numbers, so your tank is hit with all manner of av and popped in seconds.

Try sniping? 10 counter snipers are there to put you down.

Liberator? No, you're going down if you get anywhere near the enemy. Those bored esf swarm you, all the idle enemy max swap to burster, the heavies launch 20 lock on missles simultainously- and the one sky guard shoots at you but maybe gets one flak hit and no shared xp.

Playing on underpop is limiting and frustrating.

Imagine a new player who hears about the game from the new ps4 version. They download the pc client, think TR seems interesting, and then log on and get repeatedly ***** by the overpopulation vs. Goodbye potential new player.
    • Up x 1
  8. AlterEgo

[IMG]
    And to the rest of the Terran race, behold my sig!
    • Up x 3
  9. Hatesphere

We will have to agree to disagree. I can get a lot done when under pop with a few willing squad mates. You just have to think outside the spawn box. All we can hope for at this point is speedy implementation of black ops to reduce the population disparity a bit during some hours of the day.
    • Up x 1
  10. sustainedfire

Alright, that is fair answer.

Could you possibly pm me with other ideas that are effective during underpop situations? (if you do not care to share openly)
  11. Hatesphere

If you can get 4 people together you can run harassers or MBTs from a base behind the zerg front line and get up to some satisfying trouble. Set up an annoying AA nest. Or all go snipers for shots and giggles, you can get a lot of kills on a spawn camping zerg. Your never going to win an alert, but you can have lots of fun.

About the only thing I stay away from when under pop is air. That's just a nightmare.
  12. Pointyguide2

the over population of vs on emerald can be seen by the constant alert wins by them.
    • Up x 1
  13. bladedcross

Since there's a queue for almost every alert, please explain how this makes any sense. World pop doesn't make any difference when the continents cap at 33% for all factions. This is true for just about every "x faction is overpop" argument. Stop looking at World population and start looking at Continent population. If you're on an over/under popped continent, which to a continent that has equal populations. There's always at least one continent that is full and thus even, if not more.
    • Up x 1
  14. sustainedfire

That the VS take the alerts most often is relevant.

Just because there is the ability for the game to cap faction population at 33%, does not mean that every alert continent is faction population matched at an equal 33/33/33.

Its not the end all factor, though combined with the world pop numbers, the uneven winning of alerts does point back to an imbalance in population.
  15. Psycho13

16. Pointyguide2

oh your right then that brings us to the skill issue do the vs win so much because of skill or could there be some other reason?
  17. bladedcross

Actually yes, yes it does. If there is a queue for the alert continent (and there almost always is on Emerald), then the populations will remain almost unilaterally even. Bare in mind that I'm talking about prime time hours. 5PM - Midnight, etc. Alerts that happen to pop at 4AM in the morning, or noon on a weekday, don't really count.

Again, please explain how you even come to this conclusion, because it's certainly not based on fact. Better yet, I'll provide you with the cold hard facts. Planetside 2 World Population. As you can see, it's actually been the NC with the slight edge in world population for the last month, yet the OP is complaining about Vanu.

So why does the VS win so many alerts?

It's not all about skill, even though Emerald VS is home to many elite and skilled outfits. DA and AC come to mind when they were back in their prime (very few play these days). GOKU is large, coordinated, and know how to move a map. GOTR has been doing their thing since Planetside 1. VULT and DaPP, while not comprised of "elite" shooters, still have knowledgeable leaders who can put numbers in the right places.

Emerald TR has been a wreck for ages, with most of its quality leadership moving on to greener pastures. BWC is a force to be reckoned with, but they were hit hard with internal drama a long time back, and have never quite recovered. 1TR is starting to step up and is easily the most coordinated TR unit on the battlefield these days, but they'll require strong and dedicated leadership if they want to keep going. AOD is well... AOD.

Emerald NC is a hodgepodge. TIW and BAX basically hold the reins, and can easily steal an alert for the NC when both are playing, though most of TIW are in Dirty Bomb or simply no longer playing. Beyond them, there are many small, organized squads, but most of the NC's numbers get sucked up by zergfits with little to no ability to read a map. During yesterday's Indar alert, I literally watched 96+ NC hang out at a unlinked lattice base for 10+ minutes, with the PL threatening to kick anyone who dared speak up and inform the rest of the platoon that they were being back capped.

So where do the discrepancies lie? It's all in leadership. VS has a lot of good leadership. NC has a few good leaders. TR has next to none. And I'm not talking about just putting down a platoon waypoint and saying "everyone go here." You need real leadership. You need leaders who know how to read a map, so that a platoon doesn't get stuck at a base they cannot capture. You need leaders who can rally players, so that everyone is moving at once, hitting a fight with your full force instead of one or two guys trickling in and being gunned down on their own.

Sadly, this type of leader is hard to find (and most likely already playing in one of the elite outfits). So if you want to change something for your faction, it might be worth contacting one or more of your server reps and asking to mentor underneath them. It's not really a hard job to do, but it can be difficult to learn unless you have someone there guiding you.
    • Up x 3
  18. Hatesphere

19. AlterEgo

20. DQCraze

VS push farm bases close to warp gate where they can farm for hours on end.