[Vehicle] State of MBT's?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Philipthedino, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Philipthedino

Hello all,
    After about a year I was thinking about getting back into the game and wanted to know how MBT's are doing now. I prefer spending my time in MBTs, specifically the prowler.

Are tanks still strong? Is the AP gun still the go to? Does HE still suck? Can I still be effective at long range with a my prowler locked down? I am interested in every ones opinion, please tell me how you feel about current Main Battle Tanks.

thank you!
  2. Jamuro

The prowler is good ... and got even better (lockdown adjustments or something like that)

Ap shells are still the way to farm tanks and infantry alike ... so yeah he still sucks.
    And currently the community is raging violently against either Light assaults or Esfs or Liberators ... so nothing changed there either.
  3. Sebastien

Tanks are strong at blowing up Sunderers and other tanks
    AP is the go to
    HE is pretty garbage
  4. Hegeteus

You forgot the most violent raging which has been against tank users(note i'm not a big fan of tanks personally)

E: Some may have deserved it, some may have not. It has gone too far though and it's been boring to see just same few threads recently and some very obnoxious posters spamming in them
  5. Taemien

Pretty much this.

Use a MBT to blow up a Sunderer. Or use it to blow up other MBT's trying to blow up your Sunderers.

Not much else though. Maybe occasionally to blow up turrets that might be capable of covering routes from sunderers.
  6. JohnGalt36

Good luck with that lock-down if you play on Connery. Drift squads galore.
  7. ThePyroRussian

You kill tanks. You kill both deployed and undeployed sundys. There is really no incentive to attack or siege anything unless the first two are involved . then when you win the fight your tanks are completely worthless because they don't do anything to help cap the base. They are only really a tool for defense is the problem with them.
  8. SpartanPsycho

MBTs are still the same crap as two years ago.
  9. Chal

The only thing that has really changed is the new MBT secondaries and being TR...congrats! You got the best so enjoy it. The only other addition that impacted tanking within the last year is drifters being given to LA which basically lets them drift (who'da thunk it) in the air for ages so keep an eye in the sky for c4 fairies when near jump pads, bio labs or just any high terrain they could jump off(amerish and hossin most of all), being TR....commiserations you're the most susceptible to them because of lockdown.

To your questions: Ap is still the go to for all who don't just wanna farm infantry all day, Heat is also a very popular jack of all trades choice for the Prowler. Long range with your prowler is still great even better with the addition of the gatekeeper the only trouble is you will be fighting for kills with about 10 other gatekeeper tanks and as many GK harassers, good luck!

Despite the negative tones from the other guys tanking is just as good or bad as it has ever been depending how you see it. If you enjoyed it a year ago then there's no reason you won't enjoy it now.

Oh yeah tank mines are bugged, in fights any bigger than 48+ they sometimes won't render before you run over them so you're gonna get a few random deaths out of nowhere from that. Fun stuff.

Welcome back.
    • Up x 1
  10. SteelMantis

We have had Drifter Jump Jets forever? They did get a little buff over the last year though, maybe more people are using them. The new Jump Jets were the Icarus JJ. They have improved jump height and speed but can't travel as far. They have had zero impact on the tank side of the game and are mostly used for tower stomping.

No real changes for tanking over the last year. If you liked tanking back then you will still like it.

The TR have a new long range secondary, the Gatekeeper, if you like locking down at range it is well worth having. The AP is still the go to round. The HE is still ok at farming infantry and will get you killed in tank fights.

Also we are set to get ANTs on live servers fairly soon. They will be a new vehicle that can gather resources to build player build bases with. I'm expecting them to be free kill for tanks and am not sure how the bases will change game-play for armor. But it should be an interesting time to be out driving around in any case.
  11. Ronin Oni

HE actually works on a prowler though you are definitely at a disadvantage in tank fights it's easily the best infantry killing tank in the game.
  12. Chal

Yeah we've always had them but it wasn't until the change they had whenever it was that this tactic of c4ing off jump pads etc has become much more common. Just keeping him up to date on the annoying counters. ;)
  13. DeltaUMi

MBT's exist in this game.

Jokes aside, if you want real tank gameplay, play a different game. There are WWII tank games that have tanks that feel more like MBT's than in this game.
  14. Reclaimer77

Where??? All I see are a bunch of MBT wankers crying about C-4 and getting Light Assault nerfed.
  15. Sebastien

Probably HE farming spawnrooms
  16. Goretzu

Well HE and Heat have been buffed and are much better, but AP would still be the one to go to if you weren't specifically Auxing HE or Heat or purposely farming infantry though.
  17. Hegeteus

Thanks, you just proved my point ;)
    • Up x 2
  18. SanPelicano

Well there is an other change.Prowler's lockdown used to have undeploy time. 1-2 seconds at least. Now its instant, so there is no punishment for bad positioning or lacking of stiuational awareness...
    • Up x 2
  19. Towie

Prowler is still great - you can go for the Racer chassis while still being able to handle well.

Getting a secondary gunner in can be challenging but again, the Prowler is very good 1/2.Gatekeeper is the go-to secondary due to crazy range and accuracy (it was recently nerfed - but you would be hard pressed to tell). Or you can add a Walker and switch between seats when 1/2 to deter air.

If you're going into closer battle with other MBTs:

- Magriders will almost certainly be 2/2 - and it will be a tough fight.

- Vanguard is also a tough fight due to the shield.

...in fact, if you don't have a gunner then go long range - max lockdown gives hilariously fast shells and reload.

C4 and tank mines galore so be wary.

Finally - HE actually had a buff (increased shell speed) - but still not used very often, going after vehicles is more fun after all...
  20. Philipthedino

So after a weekend of playing in the prowler.....

Um prowler is such garbage now.... seriously any one that said the prowler is good must be from the other fractions or something cause it is literally just a big square cert cow

Why did u guys say prowler is good long range? It is absolute garbage that is only good at shooting deployed sundies or afk people (which a few did mention). Before if i played carefully i could get in a good spot and actually get some work done... now literally every time i got in a good spot some type of air would outright kill me or just solo infantry will hunt me down (deployed prowlers are a ****ing death magnet)

At long range, all you need to do as an enemy tank is shoot and move behind cover or just move back and forth, the shell velocity is so slow on lockdown, its such a joke at long range.... ap lightings can out play u by simply moving around....Literally will not get any vehicle kills at long range agaisnt competent drivers

Vanu tanks at long range can just focus on moving an dodging while their secondary out dps's the prowlers main cannon (because vanu tanks are so hard to hit with two shots when they move so much)

Sometime i got kills agaisnt out of position vanguards but in every short to mid range encounter i couldn't even compete against them.....

Before the prowler was very effective 1/2 now its such absolute crap. Even with the new gatekeeper no one would get in ( like always, like many of u mentioned). When ever the other team sees my prowler they all come after me like i'm just free certs to be earned.... no fear of the prowler what so ever.....

Why did i ever reinstall this game and why didn't i main vanu from the start?

#nowondereveryonequiteplayingthisgame
    #uninstalled
    • Up x 1