Stalker isn't the only viable alternative

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by giltwist, May 11, 2013.

1. giltwist

Everyone seems to think the only options for cloaking are the existing Hunter suite (12 sec, partial invis) and Stalker (no primary, partial invis, infinite length). However, I think there's other options. Not all of these are going to be viable ideas, but it should just give people's imaginations a kick start for other ways we could have side-grades to Hunter.

• Lurker Cloak - total invis, can't move while cloaked (possibly no primary), infinite length.
    • Blink Cloak - total invis, only active while midair, double accuracy penalty for jumping.
    • Retaliation cloak - partial invisibility, only active for X seconds after being shot, can fire while cloaked.
    • Digital cloak - total invisibility, only active while hacking (possibly no primary).
    • Sapper Cloak - partial invis, 9 seconds (or whatever nano's duration is), can drop mines while cloaked

Don't limit yourself to the ideas that the devs had for beta. I'd love to see people's ideas.
    • Up x 1
  2. Skeith

How is this supposed to work o_O?
  3. giltwist

Imagine for ejecting out of your max-height scythe or doing tower parkour. On level terrain, this is useless, but for multi-story action where you are dropping down on people, it's great. Basically, if your feet aren't touching the ground, you are invisible.
  4. khai

Bunny hoppers they just need to add f to their macro

I do like the retaliation cloak though i would limit it to 1 second and call it the blink cloak. bang. where did he go oh there, bang. where did he go. etc. Especially if it does not stop you from firing.

I would also change the lurker cloak that it gets more visible when you move including adjusting aim but if you stay perfectly still you are invisible and completely visible if you sprint. With about the normal level of cloaking for walking.
  5. giltwist

@khai

Well, I wanted to prevent bunny hopping by doubling the accuracy penalty. Also, allowing the lurker to move at all defeats the purpose. It is not meant to allow you to chase people. You pick a good spot and you wait...wait...wait....GOTCHA!
  6. Ztiller

While i am all for brainstorming when it comes to actual sidegrades and not upgrades, i can't help but feel that many of these suggestions leave me with a "Why would you want that?" feeling.
  7. Silvermyst

+1

Another Cloak Idea:
    Kamikaze Cloak: Fully (partially?) invisible, can be active while moving, infinite length, no shields while on. (turning it off would start the same timer that's on when your shields are drained normally)

Alternative Ability Idea:
    Negative Phasing Shield Generator: Always active, allows the Infiltrator to walk through base shields. (taken from sunderer)

Edit: Shouldn't this be in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum?
  8. OldMaster80

Lurker: might make sense. But it's still the same kind of gameplay of the Hunter: fast running then stop.
    Blink: why should I want to jump like a crazy rabbit?
    Retaliation: fire while cloaked is a very bad idea since we have heavy pistol and SMG.
    Digital: is this serious?
    Sapper: not sure if I like it, dropping mines with the Hunter only takes 2 seconds.

And the "no primary weapon" argument is now not so valid anymore: heavy pistols make us very powerful even without SMG.
  9. Dr. Euthanasia

No primaries mean no sniper rifles. Besides, the NS pistols can't be silenced - there's still a very significant tradeoff to be made here.

As for your ideas about Stalker, nobody would ever use it if it was only partial invisibility.
  10. giltwist

Lurker - For defending generators and such.
    Blink - Tower parkour / HALO drops
    Retaliation - I actually thought this might suit your play style of run run run. You stay invisible as long as they keep shooting you.
    Sapper - 2 prox mines often takes out a max, but it's often hard to sneak up on a max
    Digital - This would be more useful if we had more things to hack, but I often have no problem getting into a vehicle bay but get punked by the heavy who comes down the stairs as I'm half finished.

It seems like more people get killed by cloak noise than by partial visibility. Having stalker as I've described it would prevent the on/off/on/off you get when crossing open areas like in amp stations.
  11. Dr. Euthanasia

The noise tells people to start looking, the shimmer gives them something to find. Both are integral parts of the reason why our cloak fails us. When we're surrounded by inorganic surfaces, warnings are hardly necessary with how visible we are. Moreover, we're giving up our primary weapon so that we can infiltrate bases at a fraction our current speed, but quieter? Doesn't sound like a fair tradeoff to me.
  12. giltwist

Wouldn't Stalker be faster than Hunter because you don't have to stop to recharge?
  13. Dr. Euthanasia

Given how it was advertised as being able to recharge while active, but only when you stood still? No. The infinite length would require you to stop frequently, and the time for it to recharge would most likely be longer than what Hunter Stealth currently has.
  14. Aimeryan

Full invisibility when crouched (moving or not), no primary weapon, infinite (or very long) length. That is the basics of what I would want.

Balance other aspects as needed - speed, interaction with being damaged, shield capacity, something short ranged to detect the infiltrator (flashlight for example), static distortion effect for people who get close, etc.

An example would be Luigi's Ghost Mansion (Wii U):

Go to around 1:20 to get to the action. For those who don't know, the ghost is 100% invisible, for infinite length, and has no weapons (other than touching someone). The player's controllers rumble (vibrate) with different length pulses and strength based on how close the ghost is, hence this allows them to find the ghost (I am not sure the players in that video knew that since they didn't mention when they felt he was close etc). They use a flashlight to reveal the ghost, but it is short ranged and has to aimed in the right direction.

Around 7:30+ gives a good example of the vibration-location effect.

Replace the vibration with a static distortion effect, and of course no instant-kill-touch (since the idea is for non-combat anyway), and that would be my cloak. The ghost moves a lot faster than the players, but infiltrators would move the same speed, with the tradeoff being a larger area to hide in than the narrow corridors of that game. The use would be for sabotage (once stuff is put in to sabotage) and perhaps intelligence gathering.
  15. iller

Just get rid of the tiny useless "damage resist" on the current Nano cloak and have that one be the one that makes us completely "invisible" for a second or two when we shot while it's active. Be a great way for us to tell the difference between "lucky players" and those pesky ESP'ers who make a B-line for us nomatter where we are.
  16. JohnProut

Thx for the laugh