Stalker is fun but useless at pushing the point

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Cymric, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Cymric

The new implants had inspire me to try out sidearms as a stalker infiltrator. Using a T4 AMP and playing similarly to a SMG infiltrator, but with infinite cloak, it was very fun ambushing enemies, especially when going up against other stalker cloakers with silenced weapons. Feel like secret agents assassinating each other. However, when pushing the point, the stalker is really... lacking. The point room is small and enemies are usually able to watch each other's backs. Relying on allies to distract the enemy, while effective, feel like I am not carrying my own weight and the limited magazine size means that it is hard to capitalize on the distraction to kill multiple enemies.
  2. LordKrelas

Well, you are a cloaked assassin basically.
    You disrupt the enemy, not hold buildings like a foot solider.

Ammo printer solves your magazine problems - Also aren't expected to clear out rooms of multiple enemies just due to a sidearm.
    Or visiting allied engineers.
    • Up x 1
  3. Eternaloptimist

To me, being in a room as stalker is death. Too many straight lines for my cloak to disruopt. And shooting enemies in the back is much preferred than going face to face with a guy carrying automatic weapons who may also have allies around. I have the T4 AMP too (great pistol :)) but the TTK and mag size do not really compare to an auto primary.

If I cap a point as a stalker (and it usually has to be empty of enemies) I then drop a couple of AI mines and press the f uck off button on the side of my boot. I sometimes I linger outside in case of a chance to shoot someone through the doorway then skedaddle into the bushes.

Sneaky does it as infil. If I want to push a defended point I run HA.

All my avatars run regen and battle hardened, except as infils who have regen and ammo printer.
    • Up x 1
  4. Campagne

As much as I want to disagree, I really can't.

It sometimes feels really powerful, but the best I can ever do to support my teammates is to slap down spotters and ambush enemies attacking allies.

Super fun sub-class though.
  5. RockPlanetSide2

Just remember because the game is a laggy turd, the AMP is NOT EVER going to perform like it does in the VR training room... more than half the time, you run the clip dry and somebody just turns around and caps your ***... you will get tired of it quickly.
    • Up x 1
  6. JobiWan

I'd strongly disagree with that. The AMP is probably the quickest weapon I've ever auraxiumed, mostly using stalker. You just have to make your engagement really close and not from the front.
    • Up x 1
  7. ParakeetLord88

The AMP is a great assassination weapon up to 10m but it is not forgiving of misses, something it often does due to its heavy kickback. It also does very low damage per shot.

I find the Emissary to be similar in function but it is much more accurate, has double the effective range, does more damage per shot and can also have a bigger clip. However, it has a much slower fire rate and should not be expected to kill before the enemy reacts. As long as you plan for that, it will work better than the AMP will.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cymric

I personally do better with the AMP and the repeater but that is because I am very use to hip firing for the head and controlling burst length while hip firing. I tried the Emissary, it is good when aim down sights and headshotting an unsuspecting stationary enemy but that is not my preferred method of playing.
  9. PlanetBound

Stalker main function isn't to confront a room full of automatic weapons. Hacking terminals. Voice or text chat to tell team what's going, Moving to the base ahead to hack terminals. Maybe even capture an unprotected point.
    • Up x 1
  10. Mehanal

It's also fun to cap a point and watch as 30+ of the people defending the front lines against your team scramble to reclaim the point, allowing for your team to advance forward. I don't stay in the room, mind you, but it's pretty powerful to be able to take some people away from the front lines to lighten the load on your team (albeit a short time). Just putting that out there.
    • Up x 3
  11. CuteBeaver

I feel like people are missing the point to a stalker, you get in, and tear a hole in one of the enemies defenses so your allies can push forward. Alternatively you mess with the capture point, concede with the goal to re-open on enemies who investigate. Goal is being present enough, and nudging the timer in order to buy time for your allies to arrive. Your goal should not be attempting at defending it solo. Thats a breakdown. If no allies are showing up thats a problem. Too many times to count have I gotten inside a window, or gone in through the roof, cleared out enemies camping so my buddies can push up. Your designed to be flexible as the situation requires and change it up. It would be helpful for you to defend during the early stages of a base capture, but once allies start showing up you need to focus on support. Radar / Spotting / Holding Locations which are too dangerous for others to defend / Weakening enemies with EMP (Pushes or Defenders) Placing mines near windows.

EMP + 1 crossbow bolt = dead enemies. Slightly less effective now since heavies over-shield will not be removed reliably, so Heavies maintain a two shot kill where other infantry are only going to be 1 shot kills. Powerknife +Corners are absolutely wonderful when it comes to indoor work. Being able to attack directly from sprint using cover objects, with radar telling you enemy positions means you can basically think of a power knife and proper positioning similar to a shotgun. Dare i say better because no reloads.

Being deep cloaked provides you opportunities when guarding, that other classes can't enjoy. If an enemy turns the corner quickly on your friends, they are going to see them first, and open fire taking full advantage of clientside and killing your friends before they can react meaningfully. That same enemy rounding the corner against you, doesn't enjoy that advantage. You get to react or ambush them without having client-side stacked against you. Stalkers are the anti-clientside and stalkers can put down a good light assault, or heavy that does manage to flank into your defended building. You can stop their streak before they murder all your friends taking advantage of clientside. Stalkers are wonderful anti-flankers.

Is indoor work harder for stalkers?

Absolutely: Easy for enemies to pull out darklights, hiding locations, can get repetitive and enemies can start to predict your movements. Capture nodes broadcast our presence, so we are forced to concede at some point to regain ambiguity. Which is exactly why indoor work requires a good flow, and a different mindset. Concede and recapture the point as needed. Last stand holding out doesn't play to our strengths and should only be done when your running the clock to prevent the next bases from being connected. In that situations sure, run the timer, pay for the extra seconds with your life, but when you get the chance always tear open holes in enemy defenses so your allies can push forward. They are better suited for defense. Stalker is not meant to spearhead we are support units. Unchecked we can be absolutely deadly though, but that is nuanced.
    • Up x 3
  12. OldMaster80

Stalker is more for taking care of lone targets. It's great to get ris of snipers, turrets and so on.
    Then it helps a lot to play as first unit and moving to the next base before the enemy arrives: you start overcharging generator, hacking terminals, knife people trying to spawn vehicles....
  13. Cymric

Agree! I had great fun watching a sunderer and following any sniper that spawn from it to their sniping position and assassinating them.

Would you say a stalker is not viable in a small fight where every body count? For example, in a 3 vs 3 fight, if playing as a stalker your allies will have a very hard timing winning a 3 vs 2. Especially if those are good players who are sticking together are will slaughter a stalker unless caught unaware.
  14. Ximinetto

I always say,infiltrators,hunters or stalkers,must be on open field to be effective. SMG infiltrators are a world appart,u can go at inners with a SMG.
  15. infilallday

Stalker no good!?
    Not playing it right then are we....
    Not meant to be a mass killing machine (although ive seen some very good videos of them actually being mass killing machines)
    You are meant to infiltrate and disrupt. You can change the flow of a battle, on your own.
    You can hack and hold down vehicle stations effectively stopping enemy vehicle spawns, place mines in bottle necks, troll people, advance scout and hack/capture....
    There are so many options available to you, all greatly helping your faction if used correctly.
    Your team being held down by some armor? hack their vehicle station, drop a mine in front of it and spawn a tank. Attack the enemy from behind taking down 2 to 3 vehicles before they realize whats going on.
    So many effective options with this build, so for someone to say its useless is crazy.
  16. infilallday

Would you say a stalker is not viable in a small fight where every body count? For example, in a 3 vs 3 fight, if playing as a stalker your allies will have a very hard timing winning a 3 vs 2. Especially if those are good players who are sticking together are will slaughter a stalker unless caught unaware.[/quote]

Depends, its not impossible to take those 3 out with JUST a stalker....
  17. Fishpoke

1) Flank
    2) Stab Stuff
    3) ???
    4) Profit
  18. TR5L4Y3R

you seriously wish for what is basicaly a assasin to also be a guardian?
    as a stalker your job is to take out single targets because the unlimited cloak that stalker offers you in blocking you primaryslot in exchange you all the more lack the firepower neccesary that any of the other classes have
    so if you want to be an infil that has capacity to hold a point that would be imo a armor cloak infil with a automatic primary
  19. Doc Jim

While a Stalker is (and should be) less capable of storming a point head on, I feel that there are plenty of toys available now which make it a sufficiently viable subclass even for less skilled players, myself included.

I, for example, use the auxiliary shield thingy for a little extra toughness, regeneration and ammo implants for sustainability, and the NS-45 Pilot with extended mags and CCLR for hard hitting dakka at close range. Now I personally don't use nanoweave armor, but if you combine NA with the auxiliary shield and a decent gun, you can almost go head to head with anything short of a heavy assault.
  20. DarkStarAnubis

Stalkers can do a lot of things, but front line fighting is not for them: lack of armor and overshield, weapon with a weak punch or "hit or die" (e.g. the Commissioner) , small magazine.

However, they can help a lot during base capture: laying mines, firing dards, stealing turrets, creating diversions (e.g. capturing another point while there is a big fight at the primary), ambushing isolated enemies or taking pot shots at groups of them from weird angles.

The Blackhand is very good at sniping, but useless at close range unless you are an MLGpro.

The Pilot is good but it is easy to empty the magazine and stil facing an angry enemy. Firing in burst mode it had basically 4 (5 with extended magazine) bursts only.

The Emissary conversely has a big magazine, but feels like a pea shooter in terms of DMG and RoF.