Squad Deploy nerf exposes the horrible base design

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jak, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Sigmundr Rumare

Honestly I personally think acquisition timers should be removed and all resources should be lumped into one currency. PS2 claims to be all about specializing; you get 1 unit for upgrading (certs) and you have to choose where to use it. But for resources we get 3 different types that can only be used in their respective areas. Resources should just be "resources" (they're all just nanites anyway right? :p). This allows people to specialize, using all of their resources on what they want instead of having air/armor resources they never really use, and has consequences on thoughtlessly pulling large things like armor/air vehicles.

Want your entire outfit to armor zerg? Fine, but realize that once those vehicles go, a lot of your soldiers won't have the resources to pull their C4 and other little goodies.

I mean really, the field specific resources is entirely inconsistent with the rest of the game. We don't get vehicle certs, air certs, and infantry certs now do we?
    • Up x 3
  2. Cab00se187

Out of resources? Holy crap!!! Guess what?? There is two other continents with your name on it to go build resources and maybe, just maybe you can communicate with your faction well enough to get enough people to go resource farming and come back to make a push
  3. MikeJackson

nah, we want skill to come in the equation (since there is no skill involved in spawn camping, spamming vehicles or maxes, etc.). we want a chance, as defenders, to outplay the outnumberer. a chance to use our highly organized small squads from within the base, to cause some serious problems to the zerg. to stall in hopes of allied forces showing up.
    we play each and every day for those underdog wins. for those hard fights. something you .4's and low BR barely playing but joining zerg platoons/outfits don't know nothing about.
    • Up x 7
  4. Posse

If you have fun ghost capping go ahead.
    • Up x 1
  5. Cab00se187

What are you going to do when continent locking comes into effect? And lol @ ghost Capping. Esamir usually has some action and people don't play on Amerish because it doesn't have lattice
  6. Czuuk

No risk, no reward. People waiting in tanks and not "helping" with point captures is a cultural problem. It's a leadership and logistical problem. It is not a problem to be solved by removing the resource system.

Removing the resource system will mean more tanks, not less. Budgeting resources is a limiting factor. The current resource system of passive collection based on territories isn't great, but it is something. There is a reward for capturing and holding territory as a faction.

If it is removed, then what is the point of actually capturing any base? If all you want is great infantry fights, then why do we even need a huge open world map? It just moves us more and more in the direction of instanced, inside the box FPS.
    • Up x 1
  7. Posse

Some action = 1 or 2 25v25 fights that last for 10 minutes, yeah, sure. Then it's back to Indar again since ghost capping is for scrubs.
    • Up x 1
  8. Czuuk

Enclosing a poorly designed base in a wall doesn't suddenly make it a well designed base. It does not prevent spawn camping. I do not believe that it will have the effect that you've intended.

What I believe is that it will simply segregate the game into very distinct modes of play. I do not think that makes the game better.

I also disagree with the assumption that most of the bases are the game are dictated by vehicle play. There are some, sure, but not most.

The most important point I have tried to make is that it is vulnerability that creates opportunity. If a base is susceptible to attack by tanks, then it creates an opportunity for a combined arms battle.

If the community doesn't understand the priorities, then they need better leadership to explain it to them.
    • Up x 1
  9. Czuuk

Not going to argue that the resource system now isn't great. Changes have been proposed by SOE that make it a much more individual experience.

It needs to be improved, not removed.

And it is central to the problem of poor base design. As it is right now, the design of the bases serve no real purpose. They are just a collection of buildings, walls and turrets plopped down to create arena style fights.

A better solution is to redesign bases around a purpose. Resources. There are three main parts of resource management. Harvesting, processing and manufacturing. Add to these some concept of supply and transportation. Make attackers supply lines vulnerable by exposing their transportation. Defenders then would have an opportunity to interrupt the supply. They would also have more defensible supply of their own, giving them some advantage.
    • Up x 2
  10. Czuuk

Not disagreeing. Enclosing a base with a wall doesn't end spawn camping.
    • Up x 1
  11. Czuuk

War is hell bud.

You can break out of vehicle camps in a number of ways.
  12. Czuuk

There is skill in operating vehicles. There is no skill in spawn camping regardless of whether it is happening with vehicles or not.

The game is not designed around small highly organized squads. It's designed around large, highly organized platoons coordinating their attacks with other large, highly organized platoons.
    • Up x 1
  13. jak

Sorry, thought I was playing a video game for enjoyment.

Redeploying, pulling a vehicle, and countering a spamming vehicle zerg isn't what I would call "a number of ways".
    • Up x 1
  14. jak

I don't understand your implication that the two are mutually exclusive. Why can't it be designed to support both?
    • Up x 4
  15. ChicoFuerte

From the movie: Air Space (1999). Directed by Mike Judge

Czuuk: "Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn Galaxy so the Infantry don't have to. I have flying skills; I am good at dealing with flying. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you Infantry?"
    • Up x 1
  16. Czuuk

Wait, you don't understand scale? You don't understand the difference between having 12 versus 12 and 48 versus 48 or how that effects game design? Yeah, I think I finally understand the problem with this thread.
  17. Czuuk

Everybody should be playing games for enjoyment. This one is just more complicated than some others. If you pull resources in an area where you are being camped by liberators, then you've made a mistake and deserve to lose them.
    • Up x 1
  18. Czuuk

I deal with whatever is appropriate to counter the strategy and tactics of the opponents we are facing. :D
    • Up x 1
  19. ChicoFuerte

That's not the point.

The point is that the makeup of those 12 or 48 can be any manner of vehicles that have a direct impact on the mobility of the ground defense forces in the base with almost always a direct line of sight to their spawn room and (now from the changes to squad deploy and beacons) sometimes the only exit to the base.

In a 12 v 12, even 2 Liberators camping a spawn room can shut down 12, 24, maybe even 48 if that little door is the only exit point.
    • Up x 2
  20. jak

You didn't answer my question. Why do we have to have game design where numbers absolutely mitigate skill simply because of base design?

That aside, nothing about my question implies I don't understand scale...so I'm not sure how you got there in your thinking.
    • Up x 1