Spring Sale Cash-Grab

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Lucidius134

Chances are, they're being called cash grabs BECAUSE they are new additions to the game, instead of fixing the game.
  2. EaterOfBabies

As someone who will be on a cruise during this limited time offer, I am very disappointment they would make it for only 3-days. Guess they miss out on my smed bucks this time around.
  3. Lucidius134

worth 7 dollars.

SOE Quality SOE prices
  4. SinerAthin

The VS Infil helmet has more in common with the VS than the NC or TR Infil helmets have with their faction.

We see a lot of VS Infiltrators posing in the covers and pictures of Planetside 2, but we rarely see the other factions' infils in any of the pictures or posters. The VS Infiltrator helmet is more synonym(probably spelled that wrong) with the VS faction.
  5. NanoBitSplit

I'd say that would be TR, actually. TR troops have those big bug-eye black goggles, which the INF has built-in, as well as sharing the black and red color scheme. VS troops have crested purple helmets with flat black visors, while the INFs have grey, circular helms with a (formerly) unique green viewport.
  6. SgtScum

The people who make this content do not 'fix' the game or do you want the guy who paints your walls rebuilding your cars engine?

Each area is its own separate department that doesn't take away from the resources of the other.

So in effect they can pump out 'cash grab' content all day long and not keep the devs tasked with making and fixing the core game from doing their job.
    • Up x 1
  7. Kedyn

I'm okay with this. It's better than the ******** KDR reset.
  8. Amrok1

You honestly have never seen a limited time offer before? What about a limited edition product? Is this your first day in a consumer driven/capitalist world?

A cash-grab is creating something of poor quality quickly in-order to capitalize on the success of a preceeding item. Most commonly used for movie sequels. It does not mean creating new quality products to accompany or modify an existing quality product. For example, a cash grab is like "Transmorphers is just a blatant cash grab attempt for the studio Asylum, hoping to get sales because of Transformers". A cash grab is not like "This 24 carot limited edition emblem signed by all the Beetles including Zombie John Lennon I got for my luxury car is fantastic even if it did cost 2 million dollars.". OP does not think PS2 is low quality, nor does he think the items are low quality. He just doesn't understand basic marketing.

OP, please never use the term "cash-grab" again.
  9. Lucidius134

You? I just said what people may be thinking.

5 posts up, i said i was fine with it except for the lack of upgraded shop preview from the roadmap. I havn't bought any fins or anything because of that.
  10. Paperlamp

There are short term and long term strategies, they're taking quite a few short term ones. Making things limited time only is a strategy to try to rush people into a decision to buy, it's a common marketing strategy, but honestly there's no reason they should be limited time as they're not actually limited by supply. It's not necessarily wrong, but it's somewhat disrespectful and money grubby.

I mean look at this, especially the orange circle:

[IMG]

Looks like a pepsi or dorito commercial or something, not what you want to see from a game developer - suggests they don't take the game seriously or consider game design an art form as much as just a way to sell digital stuff to rip off kids.
  11. Chiss

Of course.... the games simply not doing that well.
    If you think ~5 semi-full servers is what they hoped to have at this point after release, you're very wrong.
    PS2 is failing, and if things don't pick up, it'll be dead soon.
  12. Lazaruz

They will be on sale for 3 days.
    'They will be for sale after that.
  13. Paperlamp

Yeah, this could explain many things if true, trying to make as much quick cash as possible while the game is still alive 'cause they don't feel they can save it.
  14. Gavyne

There's nothing wrong with having limited time sales, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Other games all use the same tactic, I play Guildwars 2 and they do the same thing there. Grocery stores have weekly sales, Black Friday has sales that last for a day or two.

People also look too much into the sales. Having spring sales means the game is gonna die soon? Really? I just got an email from Newegg and Tigerdirect with spring sales, which surprisingly, are only 3 day sales too. *gasp* are they dying too?

Market research shows having sales do get people to spend more money. It has been a few months since the christmas holiday sales events, of course companies would want to run another "spring sale" because it'll get people out wanting to buy stuff again. Stop reading so much into this, this isn't the first time SOE runs spring sales in their games. Everquest 1 is celebrating its 14th year anniversary, they're also having sales too.

ps, this is a free to play game, it cost people absolutely zero money to login and start playing. They are in every right to have these sales and release new things. They do have to pay for their bills.
  15. RF404

Whenever my local grocery store brings in a new brand of something or has limited-time offers I walk up to the manager and demand an explanation from him about why they keep bringing us these blatant cash-grabs all the time instead of fixing the place up.

Then I scream that this is the last time I'll ever spend money in their store again and slam the door on my way out.

They clearly don't have any sense of shame in their body because it is exactly the same story every week. Instead of fixing the floor tile on aisle 5 or adding a new drinking fountain over at the dairy section they keep bringing us these nonsense cash-grabs. It's almost as if they'll never learn what a mistake the cash-grabs are until it is too late for them and they go out of business.
  16. vulkkan

Seems like nobody realizes that if SOE slashes all the prices in the their shop by 40-60%, people would be WAY more willing to spend money, and would have the same effect as a double/triple SC day, the only time when people really spend money en masse.
    It's basic economics. I don't think SOEs pricing really balances price/demand well. Right now the price is too high, hence low demand. Lower the price, increase demand significantly. People are happier. You make more money. Win-win. We get more items and are more willing to make blind/spontaneous purchases, you get more money.
  17. Kastrenzo

I could care less about more cosmetic things,

only thing I give a damn about regarding money right now, is when the next triple even is going to happen.
    I have a bunch of 1500 cards which I don't want to redeem unless I can get double or triple the amount for, and I've been waiting forever. Missed out on the Xmas triple event because I spent all my money building my computer.
  18. Gavyne

Basic economics do not agree with you. There's a reason why grocery stores, best buy, amazon, wal-mart, etc.. do not slash all their products by a permanent 40-60%. This is because people with money, and want something *now*, will pay the higher price and buy the stuff they want. Also when there's something new out there, like a new iphone release, new ipad, new droids, new graphics card, they don't put sales on them right away because there will be people that'll always buy new stuff because they want to be the first ones to have them.

So sales are always limited duration, it gets the rest of the folks out to buy stuff. Rest of the time, companies are content selling to people who gladly pay premium price for items they want, or for new items.
    • Up x 1
  19. Evileet

I really hope this is not the case, but to be sure i spend my money. If PS2 would fall, because they can't make enough money, then something is wrong with the society, not the game. This game is awesome as hell and if you want it to exist longer, spend your money.
  20. SinerAthin

I don't see any TR Infiltrators on any posters :p