[Suggestion] Spotting Drone

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sghignifiss, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Sghignifiss

With the new patch and the spotting changes, we begun to really understand the importance of properly spotting enemies to help allies and not use Q spamming to just see enemies. Spotting a speceific group of enemies could be a good way to communicate "orders" to other players or squadmates, something useful to make a really organized attack, making players attack first some enemies before others. I personally prefer this new spotting system, but I believe its limitations make spotting more difficult, in general.

That said, my suggestion is: a new tool could be developed - the SPOTTING DRONE. I know that we already have flash radars and Recon Detect Devices. I must admit I haven't used the RDD that much so I don't really know what it can and cannot do, so maybe my idea is useless, but still here's my idea. The spotting drone could be a faction specific tool, available maybe for infiltrators, light assaults or engineers. It could consist in a small remotely controlled device with a camera installed. Its use could be scouting an area without the danger of being killed, having the advantage of a potentially better point of view, and maybe some sort of viewing enanchements. An idea could be to make this drone available like some sort of "secondary weapon", instead of having a pistol, for example: in this way it could be possible to improve its performances with certs, something like adding a zoom, nightvision or similar things. The drone could then work as if the player controlling it is in the same place of it: the player could watch through its camera and use Q to spot enemies, and maybe could use Q more often in this case (earning XP when spotting something just like now). Or maybe a squad leader could use it to watch the fight in a wider view and be able to organize better a local fight. The fact is, when a player controls a spotting drone he can't do anything else and need to be in a safe place. The drone could eventually be put in standby mode, to let the controlling player move, fight and do stuff.

Spotting drone could be different for every faction: Vanu's could hover or fly till a limited height, NC's could be made with spider legs and climb walls, TR's could have wheels or tracks and move fast... It could be one-use, meaning that if it is destroyed (and it could be easy to do it, assuming it is not made to resist fire) it would be necessary to fully resupply to have another one (maybe spending resources).

Finally, a different use for it could be the driven bomb: maybe spending a lot of certs in it, it could bring a C-4 pack and explode at command. That would be devasting if it works, but still quite difficult to make it work properly: due to the fragility of the drone itself, it could be destroyed by enemies before it reaches its destination.