[Suggestion] Split Engineer into two classes

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by SlugSniper, Aug 9, 2016.

1. SlugSniper

Probably just wishful thinking, but here goes. The Engineer class would be split into two classes: Engineer and Support.

The Engineer class obviously focuses on general repairs and vehicle operations, making it ideal for base defense or supporting armored assaults. However, the stationary guns and ammo pack seem a bit out of place for the Engineer's role.

The Support class would be given the current Engineer class's stationary guns and ammo pack. With the same weapon choices as Engineer or Light Assault, the Support class would be the new fire support and ammo resupply class.
  2. Eternaloptimist

Not for me - I love the versatility of my engineer. I play a combat role (like I do with Medic) using the engineering abilities to resupply and repair as the opportunity arises (and it frequently does). I find only occasional use for the mana turret but lots of use for the mines.

Seems to me you can choose either of the roles above without needing a separate class to do it. And that is the beauty of the engineer's wide range of abilities.
    • Up x 1
  3. SlugSniper

I'm mainly just OCD where this is concerned. Those stationary guns and the ability to resupply coupled with the ability to repair just seems... off. When I play Engineer, I get this odd sense of conflicting obligations, because I basically have three different roles at the same time: repairs, resupplies, and fire support. And I really suck at multitasking. :confused:

I like the idea of splitting the class just to have more distinct roles; one class for base and vehicle repair and anti-vehicle ops, the other for resupplying and providing defensive or indirect fire support.
  4. MrMinistry30

If you, personally, have difficulties just concentrate on one role or another. Resupplies can be dropped whenever you have the 1 second to press "F" and it is helpful for the team as hell. You don't even have to take care of the ammo boxes so i don't understand your trouble of "multitasking" here.

Considering repairs and fire support, you have the choice. No one forces you to repair MAXes and vehicles but just for being 1 more gun (or turret) in a fight, maybe all other classes fit that role better. You can also deploy turrets just as cover, again, no one forces you to use them actively.

Most players i know appreciate the class for exactly the versatility that you are suggesting to be taken away.
  5. Targanwolf

I completely agree.
    • Up x 1
  6. Purpoleon Dynamite

Going to agree with what has already been said. Sorry OP. Using the four available load out slots I did what you described to a degree. Definitely saves time and keeps stuff sorted for the task at hand.