Spitfire (Dec 18) feedback thread

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Tanelorn, Dec 18, 2014.

1. OldMaster80

Naah... people would deploy turrets, then switch to infiltrator to deploy recon devices, then switch to HA or Max to get the Max firepower :/
  2. Ander

Just toying with a few ideas on how to make the spitfire more interesting and now just a "Planetside1 MKII Spitfire"

Requires restocking from sunderer still.
    Max 1 deployed per engineer.

My idea for specialization:
    Add a magazine (quite large) which requires restocking with ammo for all types so a turret cant function forever.
    Addons / configurations:
    * Anti vehicular (guided rockets) but does little or no damage vs infantry (does not auto target infantry).
    - Reduced field of fire to 45%.
    - Increased shell / explosive resistance. (optional, needs testing for balance)
    - Increased range to 200m.
    - Decreased small arms fire resistance.
    - Bulkier frame to be more visible to vehicles.
    - Laserguided (is visible at range).

* Anti infantry (default)
    - Increase small arms fire resistance by 200% (make it possible to keep it alive during sustained small arms fire if you are repping it actively).
    - Buff damage output slightly (20-30%) vs soft targets (over current spitfire). (RoF is probably best to increase)
    - Range remains at 50m.
    - 180 degree field of fire.
    - Does not lock onto air or ground vehicles (except soft vehicles such as fury and harasser).

* Anti air launches heatseeking missiles (cayotes)
    - Does not look onto ground vehicles or infantry.
    - Laser acquisition (laser is visible in air so aircraft dont fly into it needlessly without warning).
    - Range is set to 300m.
    - 360 degree field of fire.
    - Targets priority: Hornet Missiles > Aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  3. MuNrOe

Which is what you used to do in PS1 to hold back the zerg with less numbers. Within 10 mins most of it was all gone anyway. But it certainly slowed any major advance.

You also had the option for enemy infiltrators to go through all your CE and hack it so it shot friendly's. If people could defend bases with CE properly like they could in PS1 they could remove the redeploy function as it would give you time to fly drive your outfit to the base in the event that CE started going off.
    • Up x 1
  4. ZZYZX

Yep.

I agree completely.

Another one of the 1,000 examples where they should have left certain game features intact from PS1.
    • Up x 1
  5. Feydakin

What I would do to make it viable... priority list;
    1. Remove the need to resupply to redeploy it. No timer, no cert lines to be able to deploy it more times before resupply. Either treat it like a turret or a deployable, not both.
    2. Make it smaller, dim lights, lower beeping noise.
    3. Either raise the damage a tad somehow or raise it's survivability some. This is where you might consider using Engineer cert lines? Treat it like a MAX and give it resistances to certain things (small arms, explosives, etc) that you can cert into. Ability to cert into higher fire rate, turn rate/acquisition rate, etc...

Maybe make an AV variant that you can cert into.
    • Up x 1
  6. Feydakin

Another thing to consider is that I cannot keep my Spitfire Autoturret repaired even against only one attacker using small arms... That to me is unacceptable, and a pretty clear case for a resist buff of some description.
  7. Godling

Just more of a wild suggestion here than a critique... but wouldn't it be interesting if Spitfires that were close enough to each other could link in some way to maybe provide improved tracking, response, radar range, or... something. They seem so... lonely. :)

Oh, and speaking as pretty much a full time Engy, I still think it would be cool for Infiltrators to be able to hack 'em.
    • Up x 1
  8. Kaminski

Toss my two cents in here.

Im actually ok with its damage, its a good warning, does ok damage. The beeping could be toned down a bit more.
    The two big gripes I have with it, would be it needs to be a bit tougher, it dies way to quick for the low damage it puts out.

The second is a bit annoying. I almost got weapons locked by it last night, where a infiltrator kept running about in a group and the turret shot at him, and though anyone else.
    They really need to turn off the greef/weapons lock on the turret as we have no say at what it shoots trough.
  9. MiniSentrygun

Its damage and health is currently fine.

But it would be worth its 1000 certs if the resupply limit was removed.
  10. aefi

unfortunately I yet to acquire the turret on my engie but from what ive seen it wont be on my priority list. last night i run into room where one turret was placed. it was just me against turret. no one else. I had my soliste SF, and i pretty much run quarter of circle around it, almost emptying my clip in it. I died. myself i got my shields down to 60%. thats how much damage it did to me.. not sure may be it was already half dead, have no way knowing
  11. chronium

In it's current state the spitfire turret is a complete joke. I've stood in front of plenty of them with no worry of dieing. They should be able to kill at least one person before they get blown up not just used as a minor distraction.
  12. ZZYZX

This is an AWESOME idea...not only would it promote teamwork, but it would also solve the "weak Spitfire" issue. Say, if up to 5 of them deploy within a 50 meter radius, they each receive a 5% damage/HP bonus per deployed Spitfire (up to a certain maximum...5, 10, whatever). Play with the numbers all you want, but the idea is super solid. :)
  13. vanu123

At first I thought they were to weak but now I think they are okay with a few tweaks, they are great in mass, great area denial, great sundi defenders against LA, great as a early warning system against enemies, etc.
    In my opinion things like the PPA and ZOE should get a rebalance pass before this.
  14. Joculari

I bought one today. Much regret. Worst 1000 certs I ever spent..
    A slight breeze hit it and it was down to 25% health.

Would have been better if if could be redeployed after it was destroyed or something..
  15. Replay

... seriously? wait, I have a 1 time use item per life, that gives me 10-40% damage bonus with a 50% 200hp damage shield, or they have a slight (very small) chance of dying after they kill me, in addition, it detects enemies for me so I know someones coming up behind me and you guys think this is crap? I'll agree it's not awe inspiring amazing, but if you expected something that's more often usable than the mana turret this is your toy. Is it underpowered? Yes. But it's underpowered vs something you can't use 90% of the time.
  16. Skoaljaw

Good ideas.. all of 'em. I would most certainly like to see a cert tree for this item as it does have the potential to be very useful.
  17. patoman

The spitfire isn't as good as the machine gun one but its still pretty good in that it can be used in addition to your regular gun or while doing something else entirely different.

Somepeople said its useless but its pretty usefull, its not powerfull end all but I numerous times it has shot down light assults trying to bomb a sunderer. So it is a perfect defensive auto-turret true to its name, it spins around but realy it finds targets pretty fast and has a faster awareness and detection than myself, especialy when it comes to pesky targets poping in and out above me who could be infutrators or light assults.

Big thing as mentioned by people is its very limited hp coupled with being a one carried thing, considering other turrets that are just as large and more powerfull can be respaned infinarly I don't get why the enginer backpack can't do the same with this.

As it stands its realy olny realy practical to use when you are a vehicle commander in a sunderer that is deployed with infinite respawns or easy access to a terminal.

So that's pretty much it, be able to redeploying it. Other then that considering its pretty good..
  18. Reclaimer77

Given that they take ZERO skill to use and deploy, I think the Spitfire turret is good as-is. Frankly it never should have been added to the game.

Go play Team Fortress 2 if you want uber auto-turrets that can gib other players please.
  19. BTG1

I am disappointed. I wish I had used those 1000 certs for something else. 100 certs is barely worth it. The the sound giving it away or the ease of destroying it should be changed. Only being able to carry one at a time should be changed to two.
  20. HenryTD

i would say the spitfire work pretty good for me
    1:it helps me detect enemy
    2: yeah it shoots at enemy even the damage not really good but well better something than nothing
    3: i can use it as a shield
    so far i got like 30~35 kills from the spitfire and it saved my butt many time :v :v