Spitfire (Dec 18) feedback thread

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Tanelorn, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Tanelorn

I figured we should start a dedicated feedback thread for the spitfire turret. So far there's a couple "don't buy" threads and some outdated test server threads.

Please post your constructive feedback on the turret and suggestions to make it better. I'll start.

--------------------
    First, we need to put this in perspective vs. the other slot options. The MANA turrets.

1. MANA AV
    - Deploy limit: Infinite
    - Resistance: High resistance to small arms
    - Manned: Yes
    - Damage potential: 1 shot infantry, AV RL damage to vehicles
    - Guided missile to ~450m
    - Certable upgrades

2. MANA AI
    - Deploy limit: Infinite
    - Resistance: Medium resistance to small arms, shield blocks all direct fire
    - Manned: Yes
    - Damage potential: LMG type damage
    - Visual giveaway to location. Very obvious at night.
    - Certable upgrades

3. Spitfire turret
    - Deploy limit: 1 unit, no redeploy. Restock at terminal. No nanite cost.
    - Resistance: Low resistance to all fire including knives.
    - Manned: No
    - Damage potential: Low. SMG type damage. 100 dmg <10m <50 dmg @ 400rpm.
    - Sensitive to EMP, decoy grenades
    - Audio and visual giveaway to location. Very obvious at night.
    - No possible upgrades

------------------------

Ok. So, after playing it on live for a while and considering the above... One must ask just how weak should the turret be given that it is unmanned. In my opinion, It is far too handicapped. Here's my suggestion for bringing it in line with the other choices:

1. Significantly reduce the bright glow of the turret.
    2. Significantly reduce the beeps. The radius to that sound effect is far too high and it's terribly obnoxious.
    3. Double its HP and increase its resistance to low damage small arms and knives. Hard hitting small arms should still be effective
    4. Develop a cert tree for the turret. Include a branch for the number of times you can deploy it, but only allow one turret to be active at once.
    Your thoughts?
    • Up x 3
  2. HadesR

Lower it's rotate radius down to 45-90 degrees ... The 180 degree or w/e rotation it has atm is to much and is actually more of a hindrance than a benefit when trying to set the thing up defensively .

The door it's guarding ... It's not looking at it half the time :p
    • Up x 3
  3. Hatesphere

utility belt should let you drop 2 of them at max rank. they should be given a sort of cool down meter like TF2 grenade like items to prevent spamming but to not have to go back to a terminal all the time.
    • Up x 1
  4. MuNrOe

They should make it a deplorable item on its own. So you can CE up a base switch to another class then it will stay deployed. I would like to see this for a few classes infiltrator as well with their deploy able radar. I think this would add a whole new aspect to defense ie an outfit could CE up a base then swap back to their main class or another class to defend it.

Much like the ACE tool from Planetside 1.

Mines , Anti Infantry Mines, Motion sensors , Motion Disruptor (Only in friendly bases) Spitfite turrets, Shadow Turrets, Cerb turrets(Mabey an addition). I would also like to see the ability to see how much of your CE is out ie 2 spitfires 3 mines ect ect. So when something was destroyed you could swap back to engineer and redeploy it. Also the suggestion of a deployable terminal for engineers would be good but that it allows for people to change classes but not pull max's.

This would allow for bases to be defended even with no friendly's actually occupying the base. I also think that the amount of these items should be increased per player however their damage reduced. Much like it was in PS1.

Make the engineer the class that can set up defences in a base and then keep them up even when you swap to another class.

The spitfire introduction is a nice change.
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

i'm happy that the damage is low considering it has instant reflexes and is pinpoint accurate.

my only suggestion would be to let us redeploy it, the limitation makes no sense to me,
    it just means you need to spend half your time running to and from the terminal each time the fight moves.
    add a small cooldown if they think it could be exploitable, but let us move the dam thing! ;)

also a great use i've found so far is when you're using a base turret, infiltrators won't be able to sneak up on you and hack you out, and LAs wont be able to sneakily fly overhead for a c4 since the turret can shoot straight up.
    • Up x 1
  6. volth

Remove the light, do so you have infinite turrets, give it better targeting, do it smaller, do so it dont take so long before it deploy. You get teamkills from it because it takes so long time for it to spawn.
    Or remove the gun from it and add upgrades so you can add a repair tool so it auto repair or a medic tool so it heal peoples. Give ammo and so on.
    • Up x 1
  7. Myrken

Using the auto turret makes me want to hit someone. I die trying to put it up i get the thing setup it dies so fast its a joke and the damage is useless. So to recap a whole night trying everything to make this tool work in any manner of usefulness. Die deploying, ok that's norm with turret's as you cant deploy everywhere. So this turret is meant for close range defense but has such low hp itself it gets destroyed instantly even under constant lev 4 repair. Then you have to backtrack to a terminal giving up your defensive post to get another which completely makes its use less optimal than a bouncing betty. Sat there watching it shoot people and having them kill both me and the turret with nothing but half shields taken down max mind you i was repping it. so i resorted to the final thing that may make the turret even a novelty. I dropped it in a spawn room "IT GOT 3 KILLS" then they were on us and it spun wildly out of control shooting through the spawn killing teammates, trying to shoot all enemies around it outside but hosing us instead had to crouch to keep from getting a face load of lead. Then the spam hit "UNCONTROLLED friendly fire will not be tolerated" i didn't know if i should laugh at the true stupidity behind that message now or die inside abit more, all i knew is i wanted to take a wrench to the balls of whoever thought this was a device worth station cash.

Everything this turret does goes against its primary function Defense FIX IT.

If its close range make it able to take the hits and defend If its defensive get rid of the terminal resupply as you must release your defensive post to get another make it do some decent damage as to suppress the enemy. Also to all those saying it should supplement your carbines damage so auto turret plus carbine = same damage as and anti infantry turret then why bother using it, the anti infantry turret has a SHIELD that defends you and is more durable that would make the auto turret even more useless.
    The laptop gun from perfect dark on N64 was a better auto turret than this fix it please that is beyond embarrassing..
    Also the new knives on an inf destroy these turrets instantly they simply don't work for anything as of now. Defend better with anti infantry turret get way more certs with both that and av turret get 3 kills in spawn with auto turret and weapons locked as it plows your own team.
    GJ ive seen some dumb crap but this takes the cake guys.

My apologies for the wall o text but that was my experience make of it what you will.:(
    • Up x 3
  8. Watndit

Compared to its size the damage and HP is just to low. 50 damage, 400 rpm after 10 meter is like nothing.

When it its so weak and not manned make it smaler and maybe able to stick to walls and ceilings. So at least you could hide it.
    Does somebody know the laptop gun from Perfect Dark? (Nintendo 64)
    Why not like this?

And make them like the other turrets.
    So that you can deploy a second one after the first one blew up without resupplying.
    • Up x 1
  9. Myrken

i mentioned that gun in my post.
  10. Goretzu

It has? I've yet to see mine fire or do any damage. The only reason I know they do fire and do damage sometimes is I got 1 assist in 4 hours of using the thing.

I was expecting it to be like a PS1 Spitfire turret (where you could use it like you mentioned when you're in a base turret), but last night I literally watched an inflitrator walk up to my one stand there for ~5 seconds and then I shot him with my Carbine, the turret seemed to do nothing (it may have fired right at the end after ~5 seconds - not sure).

In a more general sense I'd like to maybe see a cert option do you could carry 2 or 3 (but probably only deploy 1 or maybe 2) and they need to be smaller (like PS1 turrets) with their low DPS and fragility, it is just too easy to see and kill them now.
  11. Liewec123

hmm thats really odd,
    it does however turn really REALLY slowly, so the infiltrator may have stood behind it and started hacking while it very slowly turned around.

i was in a base turret last night and it thwarted 2 different infiltrator's attempts at hacking :)
  12. Watndit

Ah okay
    your post wasn´t displayed for me when i wrote mine. I need to refresh more often.

I can imagine a turret like this in the game.
    But I don´t think they will do the whole work again, modelling and stuff.
    Hope they buff the damage output.

The only use of it now is to confuse the enemy so you can shoot him by yourself.
  13. Zoobe

Came across a few of these last night and today as heavy, all directly in doorways and suchlike. Very easy to kill by slicing door and shooting it, kinda appeared totally useless.

Played alongside it today as heavy on a tower defense with a engy close by with one in a much more discreet position, and it was awesome early warning tool picking up LAs on the tower and enemies underneath. Really nice tool in that context.

Put them in places where they cannot easily be seen and not directly in line of sight of enemy and its really useful. imho
  14. Revered

-The biggest issue so far for me is its survivability which is a joke. Empty half a magazine of any gun into it and its toast. It should be resistant to small arms like the op said. I don't have a problem with a rocket or 'nade (within a meter) coming close to or actually one-shotting it as this is pretty standard fare.

-Second issue is the resupply requirement. They were looking for ways to start this thing off underpowered to make it more palatable for the legions of naysayers that would have cried 'Havok!' should it be something they couldn't easily counter, and I think this is one such chosen way. Considering how non-threatening this is compared to the other turrets, though, I don't see any issue with just putting a re-drop timer on it.

-Third...is actually the decoy grenade effect. God knows they need to find some more uses for that grenade type but this just doesn't make sense, and it's damn silly to watch a turret go after one.

Things I DON'T have a problem with (Good job SOE)
    -The DPS. This is fine. Its low, but it should be. I've already seen the huge benefit in the supplemental damage it offers and how it simply doubles as a distraction for a split second.
    -The turn speed. I've seen this in action. It is a touch slow but I think this is an excellent cert path opportunity instead.
    -Target acquisition. Yeah, it doesn't prioritize targets, big deal. Its putting free damage downrange while I do other stuff. Sure, there are plenty of bugs to work out where it doesn't shoot at all or blindly fires at forcefields, but they'll take care of that. I just don't want it switching to closer targets if its already pumping bullets into another close to a kill.
    -Range. Again, it is on the short side but this is another feature I'd like to see certs increase instead. Maybe to 60-75m.
    -Standby Beeping. It's indeed a large area, but I think that's better. Let the enemy become paranoid about not knowing where it is in such a large area. Small area helps them figure out its location much easier.
    -Target Acquired Beeping. This isn't a problem at all. It's awesome in fact. It is like having an alarm wherever you need to know people are approaching from.

My two cents.
    • Up x 2
  15. Superwiggles

It's pretty much useless, only thing it's ok at is being a motion detector, and it's not even great at that.
    • Up x 3
  16. Myrken

My issue is it shouldn't be supplementary damage that would make a bouncing Betty more useful than this turret. Ive run the auto turret since they put it in its damage and hp is a joke. Before i logged for the night i grabbed an anti infantry turret and dropped 10 players in 20 seconds from atop a rock in the open. Since the new turret launched Ive been strategically placing the turret out of sight trying everything i could to give it an advantage Ive been carting bouncing bettys dropping them randomly every now and then. They yielded far more kills than the turret and they were easier to place and less a hindrance. If this tool is to replace 2 turret options that are killing machines it needs to do its job otherwise its like giving every heavy assault a rocket launcher that shoots blanks and expecting them to use it. Av turret today massacred a tank column Ai turret 10 kills 20 sec, Auto turret in 2 days of play 10 kills if that mostly kill steals from other players on targets who were almost dead. Its not worth the slot the sc or the certs, It gives the enemy more deployable destroy points than it gives the engineer who goes out of the way to strategically hide it in a good spot the whole time open to being shot as you cant put em everywhere.

Supplementary fire is the dumbest thing ive ever heard that's like having a hamster with a airsoft rifle taped to a garage door opener and a tripod helping you take on an enemy when you could have just dropped a shielded machine gun and sawed in half instead, and then his 3 buddies too where as if they looked at your beeping ****** turret it'd have spontaneously exploded.

Point is you don't swap out 2 optional killing machines for a device that rewards the enemy and gets you crap for points when its easier to dive naked into an enemy VS zerg from a Valkyrie holding a tube of ID glide.
    Or just using the 2 turrets we have that work.
  17. ZZYZX

Honestly, no discussion is needed.

All they need to do is look back at the formula for the original PS1 Spitfire. Re-skin it to look new, and give it those same stats. It was perfect.

Done.

Like SOOOOO many other things in this game, they recycle an old idea from PS1, keep the same concept as the original, even the same name as the original - but they COMPLETELY bork its functionality - then they somehow pass it through "testing" even though it hardly works at all, release it broken, and call it "new."

I'm getting really sick of this crap. I wish they would go back to a subscription-based game. At least then, it seemed like they cared a little bit about the product they were putting out.
    • Up x 1
  18. DrBash00

I would love a spidfire turret with a chaingun.
    NO BEEP BEEP...

but if you get near you hear the "Roooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaa" for 1 - 3 seconds and if you didn´t reactet to that the chaingun will start with 800 RPM. "RATATATATATA..." ;-)

It should maby have a little shield on the front but be sensitive to EMP, so it makes no sense to put 10 turrets in one way, but is a very nice tool.
    • Up x 1
  19. Gemenai

What would you say, if these auto turrets would be placed via an additional tool?
    My idea was:
    -give engi a sensor dart like tool, if he equip the auto turret
    - the tool has a underbarrel launcher like arc
    -the projectile stick to surfaces and short after contact, it generates the turret

The turret would look more like a sphere and has a small front shield.
    This shield would be a resist shield, whose value you can raise by certing into the auto turret.
    The shield would be small enough so the turret could be destroyed by a second person (e.g. MAX draws attention and a engineer destroys the turret) , but big enough that it could reliable protect against frontal hits.
    Certing into the turret could also slightly increase the fire rate , noticeable decrease the time between each burst and increase the ammunition for the tool.
  20. Sabreno Carvaroni

I already posted my thought about it here, but to make it short here is a summary:
    1. Reduce size
    2. Remove limited carrying capacity and add recharge timer instead
    3. Add small arms resistance (something like 50% maybe? Currently it have 2000 effective HP against small arms, this will bump it up to 4000, plus you probably could outrepair incoming small arms DPS. Maybe)
    4. Remove turning as such, make it so the turret instantly start to shoot at things
    Pretty much all it needs to be worthwile. Other suggestions are in the link at the beggining of this post.
    • Up x 1