Spawning hurts the game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jan 26, 2014.

1. UberBonisseur

And by spawning I mean spawn timer.

Nobody wants to WAIT after they get killed, it's anti-fun and counterintuitive.
    There's nothing fun in driving from base A to base B or running from point C to point D.

SOE tried to fix that with insta-rez Medics and jump pads, but even with the introduction of permanent-AMS it will still be annoying to be locked out of a good fight for more than 15 seconds. I want to play a FPS, not a look-at-map-screen simulator 2014.

And whenever you manage to get a decent spawn point parked 5 seconds away from the nearest fight, some tryhard tries to blow it up to get points not realizing he'll have to drive to the next base right after because infantry will stop returning to the fight.

At least we have Biolabs which are the only really fun base but the rest is just so tedious because there's all this walking and waiting; and even if I can pull my tanks 200m from the facility in some cases (Satellites) I'm still frustrated. Good thing we have the Freyr AMP station to sustain my precious attention span.

SOE, you needn't be afraid and do what your playerbase has always asked for; smaller maps and quick respawns. Look at every other FPS and tell me the 24/7 fast respawn servers aren't the most populated.
    • Up x 3
  2. sodopro

No.
    • Up x 18
  3. Sigmundr Rumare

9/10 would read again.

inb4 slow people
    • Up x 10
  4. LT_Latency

If this game wasn't already down to 2 server per time zone this might be funny
  5. NinjaTurtle

Say what!?!?!?!?!

I play this game because the maps aren't small. If wanted small maps I would already be playing something else
    • Up x 6
  6. AFK1

Yep

Call of Duty is the most popular FPS, and that game is about running in circles shooting people in the back until you die to a claymore. League of Legends is the most popular AOS clone, and it has the smallest map, built in burst scaling etc. Easier game = more unintelligent people can understand and succeed in it. People are getting less intelligent every day, and these games are growing bigger every day

The devolution into a LMG fest where you mag dump 100 rounds with magical screen shaking+blurring "suppression" in the march 2012 patch for Battlefield 3 is what ruined that game, and it was done with the same basic motivation. Helping bad players feel good. The problem is that these casual games already exist, and trying to emulate them won't change that. So when DICE kills their own game to make it more like Call of Duty: Modern Hallway 2, it just destroys the option for a better game, for the good players

Hopefully SOE is smart enough not to make the same mistake
    • Up x 5
  7. ajma

Considering the squad spawn will probably have a very long spawn timer, as suggested in the dev post, and also strong range limitations, I don't find this tryhard sarcastic post funny at all. It just makes the OP look stupid.
    • Up x 1
  8. Tommyp2006

While I think the 10 second longer respawn time when redeploying should be removed, imo theres nothing wrong with the current spawn timer. If you die, the penalty for that is to wait ten seconds then run back, death shpuld not be 100% risk free, gives players some kind of reason to try to live.
    • Up x 1
  9. Sigmundr Rumare

It's hard to trust devs posts when on test it is the standard 15 second cooldown with range being only limited to continent, plus it doesn't even require a player being in the vehicle like the dev post states.
    • Up x 2
  10. Accuser

Hard to believe our society has gotten so deep into "instant gratification". I'll let detective John Kimble respond for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mce3yiMF4iQ#t=13
    • Up x 1
  11. Dravy

If anything spawning should be slower. Dying should suck. Otherwise, what's the point of killing anyone if they are back a second later?
    • Up x 6
  12. Miuku

How about no - instead they should raise TTK, changes base layouts and remove the "Hey, we can camp behind these force fields even though the entire base is without power because having invulnerable buildings with unlimited spawn makes perfect sense."

Dying needs to be meaningful. Hence the spawn delay.
  13. Slev

Honestly, I don't think you go far enough. I think when you die, you should instantly stand back up and be ready to fight again, anything less than this and the game is boring!
  14. AFK1

If you raise TTK then bad players can't kill anyone
  15. cruczi

By what logic?
    • Up x 1
  16. Pingonaut

Is this a sarcastic thread?
  17. CrashB111

[IMG]
    • Up x 10
  18. Tar

[IMG]

Here, have some coffee. There's no such thing as ADHD!
    • Up x 2
  19. Tiedemann

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if this is serious.

Games where you have to use your brain to actually learn the game and not getting 10 XP just for turning your head will only come from the indie devs in the future, they might even use a hex system and fix the ghost capping in it :p
    • Up x 2
  20. z1967

I see what you did there. Kinda.