"Sorry, that name is not valid" error while attempting character name change

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by gengar, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gengar

I tried to change the name of my main character to that used by one of my alts. I bought the name change token and deleted the alt, but when I try to change the name I get an error: "Sorry, that name is not valid. Please try again."

I went back and created a new character with the name I want to use (that was originally the alt's name) and it goes through fine. It's only when I try to do the name change that it gives me the "not valid" error.

Note that a different error is displayed for names that are already in use: "Sorry, that name is already taken."

Anyone else encounter this problem?
  2. FlippyWarbear

Didnt encounter that error but I encountered another example of how everything related to PS2 seems to be half-made. Basically what happened is that the name change for a character didnt go through completely and now there is a funky mix of old and new all over the game.

Such as:
    - Searching for the character with the old name in the PS2 players site doesnt give you results but...
    - just making a cold hard search for the old name does bring up the character in the list of options.
    - Searching for the character with the new name in the PS2 players gives you a result as supposed to but...
    - if you do a cold hard search for possible options, the character does not appear within the results.
    - In the server / character login screen the character has a new name.
    - Ingame character profile shows old name.
    - If in a squad / platoon the name is still old.
    - In an outfit the name is new.
    - Sending a /tell needs to be done to the old name because...
    - if trying to send it to the new name even if the character is right infront of you, you get a message saying that the character does not exist.
    - Sending an invitation to squad / outfit needs to be done to the old name.
    - Killspam messages are with the old name.
    - Leaderboard displays with the new name.

So yeah, I've submitted a ticket and bug report about this and the support did tell me that SOE is aware of this and hopefully it gets fixed soon, but how soon is soon in SOE terms? Lately soon has been "sometime next year if lucky".
    • Up x 1
  3. gengar

Ugh, it's unfortunate that SOE is still making character name changes (and charging $25) when they know there are these issues. I'm not really sure I want to change my character name now, at least until they fix all of this. Wonder if I can get my money back.....
  4. Ninave

When you delete a character, the name is reserved for your account for some time (I don't know, 24h perhaps?). It could be that the name change token doesn't get the flag "your account" when it tries to claim the name and therefore it's not valid for it to use if you try it too fast. If you can brave to wait the timer out with your alt deleted, you should be able to change the name when it unlocks to general public.

For the name change itself. A dev said somewhere (reddit) once (I can't remember when) that their current type of name change will require a name/login server restart to take full effect and that's why it's not available as a token for the confusion it creates. So with time this should fix itself, but when is the next restart... who knows.
  5. Foxirus

No! You can not use Kim Jong Un as your name.

That being said, There are certain names that are locked out for one reason or another. This very well could be the case with the name you are trying to use.

Your best bet would be to make sure your name doesn't have any hidden meanings. In example, No words that would be deemed hateful or wrong in other languages.
  6. gengar

Unfortunately I already tried once over 24 hours after I deleted the alt - in fact, it may have been over 48 (I don't remember exactly). If I can't change my name, I don't really care if I "lose" the other name so I may just wait for a longer period after deletion. At the same time, as I noted above, I'm not even sure I really want to change the name anymore after hearing about all the in-game problems associated with it.
  7. gengar

Did you even read the OP? As I stated there, this is not my problem. I get an error only when trying the name through character name change. When I create a new character with the same name, it goes through fine.
  8. Nora

I'm having the same problem :/
    Deleted my preserved character, tried using the token... ERROR
  9. a_rotting_corpse

I'm currently having the same issue. Has anyone been able to eventually use their deleted alt's name?
  10. a_rotting_corpse

nvm it works now
  11. Combat Jorts

Calm down people. It takes a few minutes or even an hour before a server updates with a character being deleted.
  12. Jadon

Hi, i know its late but im guessing it works after about 24hrs or so seeing as it worked for you ?
  13. RexV14

Its still not working.
  14. RexV14

Just for the history books. Waiting hours and days wont work.
  15. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Feel free to submit a ticket to CS at help.daybreakgames.com - they will be able to resolve this for you without a hitch.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.