Sorry But I Hate The KillCam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BamaRage, Aug 28, 2019.

1. RRRIV

so you want me to relocate every 5 seconds(sundie spawns) or every 30 seconds? do you realize how few spots there are in any given hex and how even less of them are practical to the current situation?

cant "get your shots in" if any BR15 can spawn 5 seconds later with an infil class knowing exactly where you are.
    • Up x 1
  2. Caydn

its still ******* ****
    • Up x 1
  3. OgreMarkX

Recent and any future changes made to Planetside 2 are test cases for Planetside: Arena.

You are the test server now.

Can you think of anyone playing PS2 who asked for things like the Killcam and NS Sanctuaries?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
  4. FateJH

I'm sorry for not replying earlier. I missed this one in my Alerts until when my original post was thumbed-up just today.

Yes, what I'm saying is the cone came and gone and nobody talks about it. If people do utilize it, that abuse is transparent enough that the cone doesn't actually make a dent in the gameplay that it was feared it would destroy. That's the point - nothing "broke" yet. (You'll also find a want for people who will agree with you that things were working "just fine." The entire reason for this feature existing is that something somewhere is not working "just fine" and we're trying to figure out how to patch that hole.) If staring at the deployment map for thirty seconds sucks, how many people are going to waste time staring at a killcam for thirty extra seconds if that makes their next spawn all the farther and farther away?

From a pessimistic perspective the feature sucking doesn't matter so long as the feature doesn't suck so much that it deteriorates anything of consequence, or anything at all. Even if you're arguing that the "game gets worse," little actually changes with lackluster updates. Changes that cause massive damage are the ones where the developers lie to us, like with CAI, and those really hurt. We should be well-used to lackluster features by this point, and welcome them in place of things that outright destroy anything without accommodation. The original Unstable Ammunition could not easily be accommodated; this killcam can still be accommodated.

I also wanted to remind you that the playerbase is placated by a new firearm every once in a while, but I could not find a good place for it in the prior argument structure. I think I meant the point to mean "we're already beaten down to this level of expectation."
  5. Cyllus

I'm not a fan of the killcam for all the reasons listed. However, yesterday a group of us ran into a player that was killing from under a building. The killcam clearly showed this twatwaffle hiding in walls and under floors. It's good for that at least.
    • Up x 2
  6. Liewec123

and i disagree with those people, the cone is pointless,
    you already got hit markers when you were shot telling you the direction of your attacker, so the cone changes nothing,
    that is MASSIVELY different than the camera showing you exactly where your killer is.
    • Up x 1
  7. NasaRulz

Please for the love of God remove the kill cam.. I don't give two $hits about the New Player Experience! Adding the kill cam has ruined the sniper class.
    • Up x 2
  8. Zizoubaba

I'm a little curious as to why no one told them this before it went live?

It seems to be the overwhelming consensus..
    • Up x 2
  9. DemonicTreerat

I like it. Already busted one VS cheater hiding in the roof of NS materials with a spitty and two (yes 2) spawn beacons around him also in the roof. Would have put the deaths down to bad luck if the kill cam hadn't shown exactly where he was.

Sorry, but no more easily getting away with **** like glitching into terrain. Now you have to learn to at least be more subtle when cheating if you don't want to get caught and humiliated.

And if the camera "ruins" you ability to snipe, then the problem is that you're an entitled idiot not the camera. Changing your hide periodically, some actual range, and knowing when you might be better off not taking the shot are plenty to avoid getting found easily.

Heck maybe this will purge infiltrators a bit. Fewer useless "snipers" & stalkers camping a spot waiting for kills & more who actually move about, use darts, and spot things.
    • Up x 1
  10. ArtyGun

I rarely post in the Forums - I have been playing the game since it came out and pay for membership and weapons/cams etc. The kill cam might be the feature that causes me to leave the game.
    If I wanted to play COD or Battlefield with kill cams I would. This takes all the careful work to get into a great spot as a light assault or infiltrator right out of the game.
    I have noticed it is also a way to discover crowds of enemies, hidden sunderers, and basically learn everything happening in the area you were killed from while waiting to respond.
    Who on earth thought this would be a good idea?
    • Up x 1
  11. leeharvey

pretty much ruins the infiltrator play style. which in turn ruins my fun. looking for the unsubscribe now. then maybe they want us to hate this game so arena will take off, guess what not happening.
    • Up x 1
  12. AlcyoneSerene

Just took advantage of the killcam after a revive to kill the smg infil that cloaked in a corner. This isn't skill, this is giving death ESP with perfect tracking. So much for his successful flank, and so much for my wanting to find him as part of the game.

Also tried sniping recently, yep, can expect an instant retaliation if you kill a sniper, and it will also show just how bad clientside is coming from way behind cover.

Unless 'something' changes, I don't look forward to further brilliant ideas that erase the unique things making up planetside2.
    • Up x 1
  13. OneShadowWarrior

I love the new kill cam, it gives you more situational awareness and has virtually eliminated campers and made the game more mobile. Maybe they can make the use of suppressors or sensor shield tier 5, make you silent? Vehicles already have the edge with 1st/3rd person view so no kill cam breaks.

I thought at first the bounty system was a little much, but then realized it reduces the kill mongers and they get pounced. People worried about their ridiculous kill death ratios for bragging rights now can shut up. I actually like having the bounty on me, it keeps the fights moving.

The events I usually pass on, since I get the awards regardless of what I do as long as I am on the map.

Main Battle Tanks needed something over lightnings, the Vanu got the best deal, the TR and NC not so much.

Overall, I look forward to each update instead of dreading them.
  14. Caydn

You mean its easier for lazy players like yourself
    • Up x 1
  15. FateJH

You should stab at his arguments, not just go for the insult.
    • Up x 3
  16. BamaRage

Well if you are not bright enough to understand the problem then I cannot help you.
  17. Moonheart

This is going to be a long post...

I logged recently in PS2 with no clue of the update nor of its content, starting to play.

My main job is stalker, and the fight I was thrown in by the "I" button was a biolab spawn room camping... bullets were flying everywhere, people trying to get out of they spawn point and overwhelm the campers.... basic stuff.
    After leaving a motion spotter for the other guys, I started, as usual, to try to reach unoticed a place that would not be watched, and would allow me to headshot a few campers.

Let me say you this: No matter what infiltrators-haters here think, this is -not- an easy task, even with the cloak, as you are quickly hit by lost bullet, rammed by infantry units running everywhere... Depite doing this since almost 4 years, I died 4 times before I succeeded to sneak behind the enemy line, and to climb on the spot I was aiming for with my catwalk implant... my everyday's stalker life.

Then I waited one minute before the first opportunity shown. Uncloak, double blackhand headshot, recloak. The guy never looked toward me, I looked around and seen no one that could notice me.... "good", I thought, that's "1 kill for 4 deaths, I need 4 more to get back into positive... I'm going to stay here a bit if nobody notices me"...

Yeah, you guess what happened to me: The guy respawned, was on me no more than 12s later, spraying his bullets straight at my position. Turning my death ratio to 1/6 after several minutes of patient infiltration.
    I was all "uh? how?" and then... I seen the kill cam.

Let me say it straight: I was all "WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****?" at first, then I tried to cool down. I'm among the ones that think emotions are bad councelors, and tried to gatter information about what and why this thing happen, and analyse it calmly.
    But... even now I'm calm and trying to be fair, I can't see this as a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Accoring to the devs - the purpose : helping new players

I'm among those who remember clearly how frustrating it is to start Planetside 2.
    You die, and die, and die again... with little understanding of what happens.
    I've been snipped. I've been bombed. I've been flanked. I've been straight turned into pulp by heavy assault, MAXes and tanks. I've been farmed by aircraft at a time A2G canons were so effective nobody dared to get out of the spawn room if they heard the sound of an ESF above....

Yes, it could be clearly useful to help beginners, but... is it truly helping?

Look at what the kill cam shows: it does not display how you got killed, it displays how your killer acts AFTER he killed you.
    If you have a very skilled player as a murderer, by the time the kill screen pops, he's already back behind a wall, or flying away if he's a light assault... or jumping down the wall her climbed on to shoot at you.... most of the time, this camera will not learn anything useful to not be killed again by the same method, to the new player.

It will not learn them to not stay still in outdoor, it will not learn them to listen at jetpack noises, cloak sounds or power knife activation, it will not learn them situational awareness, it will not learn them to pay attention to radar blips, it will not learn them to aim better, it will not learn them to use a flashlight and it will not learn them to not fight an heavy assaut or MAX frontaly.
    It does nothing except pointing out one thing: where is going the guy who shoot them down in the next seconds.

New players will be hurt by that as much as they are helped, because not knowing well how to stay very mobile, those players will be hunted down by experienced players that will know how to exploit best the after death information: it's already easy to flank a new player... it's even easier when you know where he's trying to hide.

Accoring to some players - a side benefit : finding cheaters

During the four years I've been playing this game, I've been wrongly accused of cheating several times, and it learned me something: Most people who accuse others of cheating don't do it because they have a proof of cheating, but because the opponent did something they cannot understand, and because they are angry and not willing to admit they could not have yet understand all the ropes of the game, prefer to assume the opponent is cheating.

Last time for me was when I spotted a few guys farming in a place you could only reach by two narrow path in which they landed mines.
    I blew up one mine with my gun, and sneaked in position, the enemy infiltrator noticed one of the mine was down, and layed one in replacement behind me. Then I shooted two guys before I got shoot down myself.... and one of my victim immediately /tell me that I was a cheater for walking on mine without triggering them without the special implant.
    I tried to explain him the mine was gone when I entered the spot, and then he got even more mad, saying the mines where here since 10min, and then blocked my messages.

That's an exemple, and all the cheating accusation I ever got were the same: the victim did not understood the method, and since he thought himself too experience to have something new to learn, immediatly assumed I wasn't playing by the rules.

Now, since that patch came online I've been reading cheating accusations on the global chat. Besides the usual aimbot accusation, there is a new trend "omg, that guy shooted me through a wall".
    I was curious, until I've witnessed a kill who led to such accusation, and I understood: the guy didn't shoot through the wall, but from the corner, then got back to cover so fast that, actualy, the victim probably only got the first sight of the kill cam when he was back behind the wall.

I've tried to /tell him what I saw.... but as usual with that kind of player, he didn't want to listen, pretending I was a friend of the "cheater" and menacing me to report me too... *sighs*

So, what I want to raise as a point here is: I have serious doubt that the kill cam will help to find cheaters, because most of the time, cheating "reports" are made to people based on emotion and without a serious analysis, and this kill cam is precisely going to feed those people.
    Each time the cam will show a bad angle of view, or delayed information due to lag, or make them see unrelated details that could be falsely linked to their murderer, those people are going to jump on their high horses and scream "cheater!"

There are two spawn beacon beside the guy who killed them? "OMG, that guy cheated to spawn two beacons all by himself before he shot me from that roof!"
    The fact those two beacons could have been laid previously by two other people is not going to slow that kind of player to make false reports.

According to some players - a side benefit : make the game more mobile

Huh? Does it?
    What make the game very mobile actualy is that staying still make you the prey of snippers, stalkers, and light assaults.
    By harming those, the game actualy open a huge frame for every other player to be less mobiles without being punished.

And by the way, what makes you think that the most mobile the game is, the best it is?
    Mobility is not a criteria of a quality in a FPS. Balance is.

Here you have taken a balance that was... not perfect, but at least have tried to reach an equilibrium throught 6 years of patchs and adjustments to infantry classes and weapons... and just thrown a feature that hugely penalize two classes: light assault and infiltrators, who got a noticeable amount of their kills by attacking from places where they could go unoticed.

According to some players - a side benefit : screw the infiltrators

This is not a benefit, this is just a hate speech.
    You can dislike a class... (I personnaly despite the engineer for being hugely advantaged in the field of operating vehicles and building bases when other classes get almost nothing good when getting out of the simple infanty field, for exemple)... but this does not justify to rejoice when hundred of players of that class get a huge slap in their face and lose fun.

Infiltrator's life is not as easy at it seems. If it was, there would be far more infiltrators.
    Also, infiltrators are NOT overpowered: just take a peek at the leaderboard of all servers and you'll there is very very very few infiltrators in to top players, the leaderboards being populated by an overwhelming amount of.... heavy assaults and engineers.

The few infiltrators present in the leaderboard also appear to be all snipers... but when you hurt infiltrators, you don't only hurt snippers, you also hurt hunters and stalkers which, according to the statistics, actualy rank with the class with the lowest average results in both KPM and KDR.

So... well, yes, it can be displeasing to be killed by surprise, but infiltrators are by no mean the ones who are the most unbalanced, despite what some haters would think.

According to me - what this kill cam... kills

The kill cams kills a whole side of the game that some players have been enjoying since long: mindgames and infiltration.
    Not every player enjoy actually running everywhere, and trying to kill by a perfect aim and a micro-second reaction time.... and not every player can anyway, because nobody has the same level of reflexes, no matter of how long you train.

Analyzing the form of the enemy line, the position of clusters, the less frequented paths, as been my and several other stalkers' game since years.
    We were enjoying to think hard about what is the place nobody expect a bullet to come from, to learn parkour to climb in improbable spots, to hone our skills at percieving what the opponents focus on to guess when it's the best moment to uncloak, shoot, recloak, and assassinate someone without being spotted, like a ghost.

It's perhaps not how some people percieve the game, and I never got marvelous scores that some talented people who can run everywhere with a SMG can do... but that was my way to have fun and it's now almost dead.

I've survived behind the enemy lines by learning to guess what my victim guessed about my position and how playing around it.
    Moving a bit to watch they point their flashlight to the wrong spot...
    Laying mine on the path I thought they would take to catch me...
    Playing with height to actualy position myself under or above the flashlight ray...
    Coming back at the spot they previously checked before taking the bet they will not look twice...
    Or staying exactly where I was, putting a bet that the guy would not except it to headshot him first...

This is a play style that involves to actualy outsmart the opponents, rather than outskill them, a play style I liked.
    But now.... who need to outsmart stalkers, since the kill cam actualy SHOW you where are their best hide spots, what they do after firing, and if they are laying mines for your return?

Not accounting that it forces me to move more often, and that cloaked movement is very very more noticeable than staying still, which multiplies the risk to be killed by an unexpected ennemy passing by there.
    I just cannot survive anymore as long as I could before behind the enemy line... but wait... what is my class called already? Infiltrator? meaning.... like someone who infiltrate the ennemy lines?

Well, this kill cam pushes precisely the infiltrators to do it the other way, because actualy, you're way safer out by being far far far from the enemy lines that trying to infiltrate anything...
    - Because after the kill cam shown your position, as a sniper you have more than 10s before the guy is back at your actual position
    - Because you can move more easily unoticed after the kill cam is off when you are on the top of a hill far away than when you are in the middle of the ennemy line
    - Because you don't have to tell yourself "******* ****, someone died on my mine, now my position is compromised, I need to move quickly"
    - Because anyway, even if they know where you are due to the kill cam, not everybody can retaliate at more then 100m away, when everyone can pull out a commisionner with a flashlight attachement and earn an almost granted free kill
    • Up x 5
  18. Caydn

For the love of God can we turn this **** off
  19. FateJH

The only way to "turn off" a thread, to my knowledge, is to forum ignore the OP.
    • Up x 2
  20. JibbaJabba

If it takes 15-20 minutes then your KPM is so low you might as well not even be playing. You're doing nothing for your team and not even being a worthy nuisance to the enemy.

I doubt anyone plays like this.

If players are not relocating periodically they should be. Perhaps knowing the all seeing eye of the killcam is on them will force a good behavior. Get a kill, stay there...get another plus let the first guy see you staying in place. Then relocate to a new location that also ambushes the first.

/shrug