Soooo, what's the story with Implants? I missed it :P

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Quiiliitiila, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Quiiliitiila

I had taken a break from Planetside to go back to my romping grounds in Star Trek Online (yeah, say what you want, I'm a trekkie born and raised) but before I left I had read about implants coming out. When I came back I read one of the GU notes that detailed implants, but all of the writing was crossed out and no further word could be found (by me anyway).

I know they had planned on making them one hell of a money grab by making them consumables (bad idea btw), so did the community rally together to say hell no? Or did SOE grow a conscience and decide to re-think it on their own?

I see it's still on the roadmap, but it's still the same info as before.

Thanks!
    -Quiiliitiila
  2. RHINO_Mk.II

Yup.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ash87

Your conclusion is a logical one.

Okay, the short version is that yes: The prior draft of the implant design document was received poorly by the community. Smedley stepped in and said: No we wont have implants like that, back to the drawing board. They just released a revised version of how implants will be done at a Gamescon interview with Higby. The new plan, is for implants to drop like loot when you kill people or vehicles. After they drop you can plug them in, or keep them and combine them with other implants to make more powerful implants.

All of this was slated to come out this month, but the refocus likely has delayed it. The thing here is, that it wasn't delayed by Long, because the implant effects will likely not be changing, all that will be changing is the method of acquisition, and the crafting to make better ones. So, expect this to come out soon after they finish the optimization stuff.
    • Up x 1
  4. KAHR-Alpha

Smedley's tweet:

• Up x 1
  5. Quiiliitiila

Ah, thank you for the in-depth explanation. Is there a new write up of the second plan? I never really liked the idea of consumable items, but if they drop as loot that may be a cool system. Any idea if the loot would be on an individual basis or will it be a first come first serve? Ex. I drop some dude and he coughs up an implant, then some random guy runs up and grabs the loot that I earned from killing the guy. (Which happens to me a lot in other MMOs).
  6. Ash87

TY, there you go.

No, but here (Link) is the interview. It's only about 10 minutes, and they lay out the basics of twhat they are considering for implants.

As to the loot system, not for sure certain, but the way it's phrased, it sounds like you just get them randomly for kills. So 5% of the time you kill someone you get an implant, and I'd imagine it'd change based on the type of person you kill and the continent, etc. etc. So it sounds like it'll just come to you if you succeed in your Implant... getting... dice roll... or something. You get what I mean.
  7. TheBloodEagle

And the community thinks that's a better system? Looting/Chance instead of buying with Certs? o_O
    I really don't understand the playerbase then.
  8. UberBonisseur

I'd like to say it clarified things but it's even more confusing.
  9. Ash87

*Shrug*

Beyond the people who read the last inquirer, this was one of those articles and interviews that went under the radar. That is to say it was largely ignored by the PS2 communities. I know about the 30-50 odd people I talk to about this kind of thing, like this new system much more than they do the old one, since it removed the monetary element... So, for that obscenely small percent of the population I can speak for, yeah, they like it.
  10. TheBloodEagle

=/ I personally don't want to play a WoW minigame. I would have liked clearly picking out my playstyle with certs. Either way glad Implants are still coming.
  11. illgot

What really pissed off people about the way they were going to implement implants was that it would be a rental system only. You could rent it via PS cash or through a constant cert drain.

Neither option was realistic because players like to buy permanent, which is why the one time use camo never sold.

Pkus there were balance issue which infiltrators had no counter against and other implant perks which made silencers useless. Basically SOE ttied to rush out implants as a money grab, the player base shockingly saw this and for once put their foot down unanimously.
  12. UberBonisseur

But the question is:

Did you reddit this ?
  13. Ash87

If your asking: Is the inquirer on Reddit, Yes. I would say I get about 50-75% of my readers from Reddit.

If your asking, did I post the video On reddit: No, someone else had... I think? This was 2 weeks ago, I can't readily recall. But as I said, it was one of those articles and interviews that went largely unnoticed by the community. I think it might have creeped into the top 20 on reddit, but didn't gain a lot of attention.
  14. CrashB111

Not my favorite way to put them in with RNG involved, but I most surely prefer it to a system of renting them through SC or certs since that system would be an undeniably P2W way to put them in the game.